Hot Spring Ace Water Santitation System

ursulal

Wow waterbear, Hot Spring Ace had me convinced he knew his stuff but you sure schooled him. I wonder if he will be back to reply to your questions and mine? I thought maybe he helped engineer the system but it seems maybe he was just passing on some promo info that he didn't really understand.

I didn't know a winner was declared lol, maybe it comes down to whoever posts last as I expect they could go back and forth for quite awhile.

They both show themselves to be knowledgeable in chemistry and water care but unless they are both in the same room and both working with the actual product and knowledgeable about its inner workings all we'll see here is some theory banter, which is fine.

Like all others, this product will be judged by how it performs in the field.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

And I expect it to perform well since salt systems usually do. there is really nothing new about them and they have been used in pools since the 60's.

But past salt systems for spas in the past have not had a great track record for one reason or another, often from the outset.

[

And I expect it to perform well since salt systems usually do. there is really nothing new about them and they have been used in pools since the 60's.

But past salt systems for spas in the past have not had a great track record for one reason or another, often from the outset.

Good point You are correct! However, I have always felt that many of those problems were because the manufacturers did not really understand the water chemistry needed for proper system operation of such systems and from what I have seen of the ACE system this is not the case, marketing hype disregarded. A good example is the CH and TA levels they recommend, which are in line with efficient and trouble free operation of a salt system.

That doesn't seem too bad, just a little extra maintenance. Although I thought Hot Spring recommended cleaning the filters every month. I remember when I was considering Hot Springs the idea of a monthly cleaning of five filters seemed a bit of a hassle compared to cleaning one as per other spas, but was part of the deal when going with the no-by-pass filtration. Should the electrodes be soaked whenever filters are cleaned or just every three months regardless? The output setting has no impact on need for cleaning?

The filters are supposed to be cleaned monthly, but with the Tri-X, you can run them in the dishwasher on the rinse only cycle, and they come out supposedly looking like new, which should make even 5 filters relatively painless. The electrodes are cleaned once every 3 months, so it wouldn't be every filter wash, but rather every 3rd. The system might actually have a timer to remind you. I seem to recall that it does.

Good point You are correct! However, I have always felt that many of those problems were because the manufacturers did not really understand the water chemistry needed for proper system operation of such systems and from what I have seen of the ACE system this is not the case, marketing hype disregarded. A good example is the CH and TA levels they recommend, which are in line with efficient and trouble free operation of a salt system.

When I started researching spa saltwater systems a few months back, I was shocked that there weren't more on the market. I figured with the pool boom several years ago, that most manufacturers would at least offer it as an option. Than I started reading up on the drawbacks and problems with the few existing spa saltwater systems that were out and the low water volume, high temp, chemical balance swings that made it difficult to do well. From what I've seen of ACE, even if it falls short of the marketing claims involving the diamond electrode, HotSpring does seem to have overcome the problems that most of the other manufacturers are struggling with regarding appropriate water balance. After the initial fill and balance, he said he has not had any problems with the pH rising, which seems to be a common problem in saltwater systems.

It's funny. My dealer said he was a skeptic when the first demo tub hit their showroom. He had his folks testing it daily to ensure appropriate balance and settings. After the first month or so, he backed off to weekly testing, and now he is testing it monthly, per the HotSpring recommendation. I think that's probably a bit lax for my standards, but if his water is still testing normal after 9 months now on the same fill, it must be working!

Wow waterbear, Hot Spring Ace had me convinced he knew his stuff but you sure schooled him. I wonder if he will be back to reply to your questions and mine? I thought maybe he helped engineer the system but it seems maybe he was just passing on some promo info that he didn't really understand.

I didn't know a winner was declared lol, maybe it comes down to whoever posts last as I expect they could go back and forth for quite awhile.

They both show themselves to be knowledgeable in chemistry and water care but unless they are both in the same room and both working with the actual product and knowledgeable about its inner workings all we'll see here is some theory banter, which is fine.

I agree spatech - really no need to call a winner. I was impressed with Aces comments on the different electrodes,but although I am not a chemist, I understood waterbear's reasons for skepicism of what ACE said, for example, how does MPS form when there is no potassium in the water - it made me lose a little faith in ACE. Hopefully he will return to explain this - interesting stuff.

That doesn't seem too bad, just a little extra maintenance. Although I thought Hot Spring recommended cleaning the filters every month. I remember when I was considering Hot Springs the idea of a monthly cleaning of five filters seemed a bit of a hassle compared to cleaning one as per other spas, but was part of the deal when going with the no-by-pass filtration. Should the electrodes be soaked whenever filters are cleaned or just every three months regardless? The output setting has no impact on need for cleaning?

The filters are supposed to be cleaned monthly, but with the Tri-X, you can run them in the dishwasher on the rinse only cycle, and they come out supposedly looking like new, which should make even 5 filters relatively painless. The electrodes are cleaned once every 3 months, so it wouldn't be every filter wash, but rather every 3rd. The system might actually have a timer to remind you. I seem to recall that it does.

When I started researching spa saltwater systems a few months back, I was shocked that there weren't more on the market. I figured with the pool boom several years ago, that most manufacturers would at least offer it as an option. Than I started reading up on the drawbacks and problems with the few existing spa saltwater systems that were out and the low water volume, high temp, chemical balance swings that made it difficult to do well. From what I've seen of ACE, even if it falls short of the marketing claims involving the diamond electrode, HotSpring does seem to have overcome the problems that most of the other manufacturers are struggling with regarding appropriate water balance. After the initial fill and balance, he said he has not had any problems with the pH rising, which seems to be a common problem in saltwater systems.

It's funny. My dealer said he was a skeptic when the first demo tub hit their showroom. He had his folks testing it daily to ensure appropriate balance and settings. After the first month or so, he backed off to weekly testing, and now he is testing it monthly, per the HotSpring recommendation. I think that's probably a bit lax for my standards, but if his water is still testing normal after 9 months now on the same fill, it must be working!

Thanks Dark Rider for your clear answer to my question.

• 2 months later...

I've been shopping around the NY Metro area for a 2010 Grandee w/ACE System, Cover Cradle/Cover, steps. I was quoted ~ $10.6K for the Grandee and ~$9K for the Vanguard.

Are these good prices in your opinion?

I purchased a 2010 Grandee with ACE in the Northern NJ Area last month. i paid $11K w/the Cover Cradle, startup kit, delivery. no steps. (add tax on to the $11K).

Although in the NNJ area i would expect to pay more than other areas, I believe you did get a really nice deal.

• 7 months later...

I have the ACE system on my spa 2010 Hot spring spa, and am on my second cell in 1 year. The second cell is now failing as well, cannot get it to register salt after my most recent drain/refill, even though the water now even tastes salty. Perhaps you will have better luck, but I am getting ready to yank this thing out.

I have the ACE system on my spa 2010 Hot spring spa, and am on my second cell in 1 year. The second cell is now failing as well, cannot get it to register salt after my most recent drain/refill, even though the water now even tastes salty. Perhaps you will have better luck, but I am getting ready to yank this thing out.

I can't specifically help you on this but I certainly know that if the water tastes salty and you're not getting a chlorine level you obviously have an issue going on and and if you don't trust the dealer to know whats happening call the manufacturer, that's what they're there for.