Hayward Swim Pure Salt Generator

Rich D.

Hello and help please,

I replaced my current Clormatic generator today because the cell went bad and the replacement cell for my unit cost from $500-1000. I purchased a Hayward Swim Pure Plus which is very similar to the Clormatic but replacement cells are only $250.

The plumbing went problem free and tested fine. My problem is with the electrical hook-up. There are only 3 wires in the harness that came with the new unit - red, black & green. The green ground wire was easy. There are 4 terminals where the red & black can hook up. There were 2 jumpers installed across terminals #2 & #3. The diagram in the supplied manual said that for 120 VAC operation to move the jumpers to #1 & #2 and to #3 & #4. It showed the red & black feed wires to be hooked to terminal #1 & #4. This is how I hooked up my wires but when I turned the power back on I had a huge spark and a flash at terminals 1 through 4 and it left black soot in the area.

I am worried about calling Hayward or Specialty Pool Products (purchased from S.P.P.) as I caused this myself. Just bought the unit 2 months ago but since I installed it myself I may have voided the warranty.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I had planned on paying someone to install it but my wife wanted to save the $125. and twisted my arm.

Thanks, Richie D.

I should mention that in the photo of the timer the red & black wires coming from the Swimpure are currently not attached and are pushed aside in the botom of the timer box. I had the red wire attached terminal #5 to the far right and the black wire attached to terminal #3 in the middle. These are the terminals that my Clormatic system were attached to. Richie

It looks like you have a 220V system. If the timeclock is keeping time, its 220V. Have you tested the 1 and 3 terminals on the time clock? (the ones with the white wires connected to). I believe you will get 220V there and thats your problem. It appears you set up the unit for 110V and your feeding 220V to it.

That sounds logical.I will check the voltage tonight.

In the mean time I am guessing that I did some damage to this unit and am wondering what my next step should be.I was thinking that I should contact Specialty Pool Products 1st and tell them that the unit will not turn on at all and see what they suggest.I am trying to fix my wrong without having to purchase a whole new unit.I believe that if I tell them that I hooked it up to 220 that this may void any chance for my warranty to cover this, especially since a licensed electrician was not used.

Any thoughts on this ?

Well I just finished running through the voltage tests and you were both correct, the voltage coming out of the timer was 220v so I moved the jumpers back to the original setting for 220v which was across terminals #2 & #3 and reconnected my red & black wires to the timer.When I flipped the breaker back on I really did not to expect the unit to power up but it turned on and I ran through all of the settings and tests and everything seems to be working fine.

I am extremely happy that this turned out positive and want to thank you both for your help and time with this.Your knowledge is invaluable and I will be sure to use your services again in the future and to also recommend to others.

Thanks again for everything,

Richie