Dead Bat In My Pool

Okay, so I had a bat in my pool, don't know how long he was in there, but at least 8 hours. So I need to hyperchlorinate (super chlorinate) Pool store said bring the chlorine level up to 20ppm for three days. What will it take me to get me there. Does this seem like an excessive amount of Chlorine. I just corrected a green pool which was not easy, so in the last week I have used 10 ounces of Copper algecide and 4 pounds of shock, and 6 (3 inch)Chlorine tablets. My test kit only tests PH and Chlorine, after all that my chlorine level was 3 today and PH normal, but I just tossed in two more pounds of shock. At least the water cleared but now a bat jumps in and dies. UGH! What do I need now?

Your shock level is based on your cyanuric acid level. You can calculate your shock level by using the Pool Calculator.

Alternatively, you can use 10 ppm + 10 % of your cyanuric acid level.

Example:

Cyanuric acid of 50 ppm

10 ppm + 10 % of 50 = 15 ppm.

You should not be using copper in your pool. Copper will cause you nothing but problems. It will cause stains, and it can turn people's hair green. You need to be careful while shocking a pool that contains copper as the copper can get oxidized and cause stains.

You should use regular, unscented 6.0 % bleach to raise your chlorine to shock level. Don't increase your chlorine by more than 4 ppm per hour to reduce the likelihood of precipitating out the copper.

Okay, so I had a bat in my pool, don't know how long he was in there, but at least 8 hours. So I need to hyperchlorinate (super chlorinate) Pool store said bring the chlorine level up to 20ppm for three days. What will it take me to get me there. Does this seem like an excessive amount of Chlorine. I just corrected a green pool which was not easy, so in the last week I have used 10 ounces of Copper algecide and 4 pounds of shock, and 6 (3 inch)Chlorine tablets. My test kit only tests PH and Chlorine, after all that my chlorine level was 3 today and PH normal, but I just tossed in two more pounds of shock. At least the water cleared but now a bat jumps in and dies. UGH! What do I need now?

Well the copper was the only thing that would clear the pool. Does it stay foever? Also how long does a pool chlorine level need to be maintained at shock level? I guess I will start with getting new test strips so I know my cya level. The pool calculator didn't work for me when I clicked on it. Also my test container only reads to chlorine level 5, do I need to keep taking samples in? The pool is clear. This is all over a bat, do bats contaminate water?

For a dead animal, about 12 hours at shock level is good. Allow the filter to operate for at least 24 hours to clean out any physical contaminants. The pool calculator seems to work fine when I click on it.

Copper does stay for a long time. It will gradually get reduced, but slowly. Please do not use it again.

How many gallons is your pool?

24 round by 3 foot 6 inches deep should be about 12,000 gallons. 1 quart of bleach should raise your FC by about 1.5 ppm.

If the pool went to clear green, then that is most likely from copper. If it went cloudy/green then it could be from algae if you didn't shock long enough.

Can you post a full set of chemical results?

24 round by 3 foot 6 inches deep should be about 12,000 gallons. 1 quart of bleach should raise your FC by about 1.5 ppm.

If the pool went to clear green, then that is most likely from copper. If it went cloudy/green then it could be from algae if you didn't shock long enough.

Can you post a full set of chemical results?

Okay so I bought new test strips---- The pool is clear

Following two pounds of shock last evening

free chlorine- O

PH 7.2

Total alkalinity-40

Total Hardness-100- I have no idea what that is for

CYA-0

What where are my chemicals going?

I bought three gallons of liquid chlorine today and 5 pounds of granular. Any ideas?

The first thing you want to do is to use the liquid chlorine to raise your Free Chlorine to about 5.0 ppm (1 gallon of bleach, or 2 quarts of liquid chlorine).

Wait at least 8 hours and then add enough baking soda to raise your Total Alkalinity to about 85 ppm (8 pounds). Dissolve a maximum of 2 pounds of baking soda in 4 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket, and pour the mix into the pool. Do this 4 times to add the total of 8 pounds.

Once your Alkalinity is at 80 ppm, you can begin to use dichlor to chlorinate (every pound of dichlor will raise your chlorine by 5 ppm and your cyanuric acid by 5 ppm). Continue to use dichlor until your cyanuric acid is at about 40 ppm (This will be a cumulative total of about 8 pounds of dichlor).

I recommend that you not use sodium carbonate (pH increaser), or calcium hypochlorite. If your pH needs to be increased, I recommend that you use moderate amounts of baking soda.

Have your water tested for calcium hardness and copper.