Are Chemicals Really Needed

I was talking to my neighbor last night and he said that all he does to his spa is shock it once a month. He does not use Clorine - Bacqua spa - or any other product.

His philosophy is that this is just to keep revenue coming in for the spa dealers. He says auto dealers make the majority of thier money on service of the auto not on the sale! The auto dealers recommend regular maintanence just to keep the dollars flowing in. He says all these water tests and getting your water perfect is just a way for the dealer to continue to make a profit! Said he justs shocks once a month and has not had a problem - ever!

I said he was crazy, but figured I get your thoughts!

If you follow the dealer's advice, I'm sure it's a tidy profit center. I use the dichlor/bleach method which means I bought one jug of dichlor and one jug of dry acid from Leslie's over a year ago, and just recently bought my second jug of dry acid. The test kit is mostly a one-time expense with refills every few months, which I can get from Leslie's or online. Borax and bleach can come from the grocery store, although I get liquid chlorine cheaper from another dealer. They're not making a huge profit on me. And I'm absolutely sure my water is safer than your neighbor's.

--paulr

That's very sure that the spa dealer wants the money flowing in and that for the reason he wants you to make the complete maintenance by his service centre.

But i would simply suggest you that if you have recently purchased a spa then you need to get done the intial services by spa dealer only.As soon as you get use to it you may do it by yourself.

Does your neighbor have an ozonator?

Dave

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure - but I do! Does that make a difference?

After I fixed my ozonator, I noticed that I use a lot less chlorine.

Dave

Probably a good idea to keep your PH in balance. But if you trust your conspiracy theory neighbor, you can leave the chemistry alone and instead of selling you a couple of bottles of chems per year, we can come out and replace your pumps ($300+) and heater and other components that will likely fail prematurely and charge you $85 per hour for your trouble.

You can also choose to not change the oil in your car on a regular basis...see how much that will cost. Just sayin'

I was talking to my neighbor last night and he said that all he does to his spa is shock it once a month. He does not use Clorine - Bacqua spa - or any other product.

His philosophy is that this is just to keep revenue coming in for the spa dealers. He says auto dealers make the majority of thier money on service of the auto not on the sale! The auto dealers recommend regular maintanence just to keep the dollars flowing in. He says all these water tests and getting your water perfect is just a way for the dealer to continue to make a profit! Said he justs shocks once a month and has not had a problem - ever!

I said he was crazy, but figured I get your thoughts!

Short answer is yes..

There IS a reason why every school or hotel/motel with a hot tub or pool puts chemicals in the water and it is first and foremost about ensuring the users' health. And believe me, if either found true proof their use was unnecessary and they could save the annual cost, they most certainly would.

But hell, even someone like me (who has dust bunnies growing dust bunnies in my bedrooms) knows enough to sanitize my hot tub regularly to avoid skin diseases and related illnesses. I mean I guess you can get away with never washing your dinner plate too, but sooner or later it'll probably kill you. [Hmmm, I wonder if your neighbor also "saves" on changing his underwear... YIKES!]

Otherwise, even your friend's auto service comparison is a bit weak. You need only spend maybe $8/month on chemicals and may spend $800 at an auto shop. Apples to oranges. Paying so little for such a huge amount of benefit is unequivocally worth refraining from scrimping on the former.