Pool Cleaner/vac Run Time

Hansps

Days on end? You mean its running 24/7? Yes, too long. Many units run every day, but only 2-3 hours daily, this would be considered normal. I'm telling customers (these days) to run the unit daily until the pool is clean, then run manually to help reduce energy costs (clean pools don't need to be cleaned).

I do realize that you cannot do this not living there full time.

Thanks,

I'll ask my neighbor to check up on the pool guy and let me know if this is normal. Maybe he just forgot to take it out.

I'm a pool guy, all of boosted (Booster-pump) assisted cleaners i.e. Polaris 280 type cleaners are set to run 1hr/ per day. I've never seen a booster pump driven cleaner take longer than 1hr to clean an entire 15-20K gallon pool under normal circumstances.

Main pump driven cleaners like the Polaris 380 will run as long as the filter pump time is set for unless it is valved and set up on automation to turn off at a specific time. If your cleaner is running 24/7 chances are your filter pump is too costing you an insane amount of energy/ money. And like the other have said and wearing out the cleaner pre-maturely. You figure if the cleaner runs 5-6 hours a day it is probably putting as many miles at the bottom of your pool as your car does commuting to work daily. That means it's going to need similar repairs frequently like tires, wheels, gears and not to mention the bags and wear along the body. Also some cleaners if run lengthy operating duration will wear area of the pool surface down from constant contact.

pool raider, wished my pools stayed cleaned running an hour a day? Yeah right, but I'm in dallas, with weird weather! Maybe your more fortunate with your hand full of pools in seattle? Pools have personality!!!! I good pool guy knows this. Doubtful it's running 24/7! But if it is, as pointed out, it may wear out prematurely, but expense is dependant on your pool guy and how much he overcharges for repairs!

pool raider, wished my pools stayed cleaned running an hour a day? Yeah right, but I'm in dallas, with weird weather! Maybe your more fortunate with your hand full of pools in seattle? Pools have personality!!!! I good pool guy knows this. Doubtful it's running 24/7! But if it is, as pointed out, it may wear out prematurely, but expense is dependant on your pool guy and how much he overcharges for repairs!

Not sure if you were referring to me? I'm in California not Seattle, almost everyone has a pool here, aside from Florida I think we are the largest pool market. My company also services about 400 pools a week between three full time guys and one part time. We don't have a single booster pump type cleaner set to run longer than an hour. I'm also not a liberal by any means but in California the direction is saving more energy and conserving so that's what we do.

Hmm, 400 pools a week between (let's call it) 4 guys. Thats 100 pools a week, per guy, or 20 pools a day. On paper that sounds impressive. On a forum it sounds like you have so many customers that you can't really spend any time on any one customer.

Even if you work Saturdays, that's still 15 pools/day. A little more manageable, but still a lot of running around. I hope at least the pools are close to one another.

Be careful not to become one of those companies that customers say: "He couldn't have been here for a couple of minuets, what does he do?"

Thanks pool clown! It is my opinion that techs are a poor investment. By the time you hire them, train them and then go behind them and recover the customers they lost you... you would have been better off just doing the pools that you can manage. That's assuming they have integrity and aren't stealing from you! 100 pools a week though does sound like a lot. 1 green pool and your day gets really long. If you can't dedicate an hour to each pool, for chemical balance, proper cleaning, maintenance and low and behold customer service, you should reconsider your business plan.

but back to the original question! Good luck depending on your booster cleaner that only runs 1 hour. I have never seen a pool clean with a booster pump cleaner that runs 1 hour. Even robotic cleaners demand more time than that!

RHAYNES: I'm a big fan of the hayward navigator or polaris ATV. Both work off your pump that is already running! No additional cost in energy. And if you know enough about your plumbing you may not lose a dedicated skimmer. Some booster set-ups are easily converted to suction with a little plumbing and a valve.

My company also services about 400 pools a week between three full time guys and one part time.

400 pools is a lot for 4 people. How many hours does each person work per week? How much time do you spend at each pool? What do you include in your service?

First off I didn't come on here to start anything with anybody (I love the site) and second I didn't post in this thread to have you all start asking how I run my company, you want to know how it's done you start a thread on the topic and I might give my time. First of all it works so stop trying to figure it out, everyone is happy, everyone is paid.

Some of you internet gurus might be able to find my company on google and on various forums in my community where our customers praise our work & quality. In short I don't advertise at all, our business is all word of mouth. I'm almost at the point of needing another guy really. Also 70-80% of our entire pools are of Chemical-Only or Chemical-Brush type service, very few are of the "Full Service Type where you would need to spend an hour at each pool, that's insane but I live in California and our climate is moderate all year.

Most of our pools are newer and in newer areas with SWG & automation with "good" cleaners. Plus all my guys have a Hammer-Head vac so there is no reason to ever be at a site longer than 30 minutes max. I know what some of you say about companies that rush through their routes or pools and are in & out in 5 minutes. we pickup lot's of clients every year from those type of operations. That's not us, also I leverage employees so someone is always in the area to take a service call for a client or do a repair.

Thanks pool clown! It is my opinion that techs are a poor investment. By the time you hire them, train them and then go behind them and recover the customers they lost you... you would have been better off just doing the pools that you can manage. That's assuming they have integrity and aren't stealing from you! 100 pools a week though does sound like a lot. 1 green pool and your day gets really long. If you can't dedicate an hour to each pool, for chemical balance, proper cleaning, maintenance and low and behold customer service, you should reconsider your business plan.

but back to the original question! Good luck depending on your booster cleaner that only runs 1 hour. I have never seen a pool clean with a booster pump cleaner that runs 1 hour. Even robotic cleaners demand more time than that!

RHAYNES: I'm a big fan of the hayward navigator or polaris ATV. Both work off your pump that is already running! No additional cost in energy. And if you know enough about your plumbing you may not lose a dedicated skimmer. Some booster set-ups are easily converted to suction with a little plumbing and a valve.

Hey Fireman, we've got common ground as my wife's a firefighter no kidding. anyway you speak of the Polaris ATV, I've never seen a working one honestly. I love Polaris products the 280 series is a proven work horse as far as pressure cleaners go and it sells at an affordable price point for most pool owners. What I don't get is how a company that builds a great pressure cleaner like the 280 could build such a dog as the ATV. The first and last one I sold to a client two years ago busted three times under warranty. Each time I had Polaris repair it, it broke again shortly there after. I've never sold another but have seen several at various REO properties that we get from banks and real estate companies and never a working one. I felt so bad about the problem with that cleaner (Putting my trust in the Polaris name) I gave my client a brand new Poolvergnugen four wheeled suction cleaner in lieu of the embarrassment of selling them such an inferior product.

My issue with the Hayward Navigator is that it is a hard contact cleaner, it wears the plaster down in the pool because those flaps on the side made of plastic constantly touch the pool sides, walls, steps & swimout edges. My favorite "suction" cleaner hands down is the four wheel poolvergnugen by "The Pool Cleaner" it's got a funny name, but it's the best suction cleaner on the market bar none. I like that you always have rubber wheels that are making contact with your pool. It's got fewer moving parts than the Navigator and is less affected by pressure changes with the pump and filtration. Just my two cents.