Water Issues

Over the holiday I had a large bather load in the tub (5-6 people for 1/2 hour). I super shocked (I am using bleach) in hopes of killing all the waste, I thought I did okay but I am getting a lot of foaming and I can see some of the oils/residue on the surface of the water. I just dumped and refilled a month ago. I really don't want to refill again. Any recommendations?

What are all of your chemical readings?

Cleaning your filter and maintaining shock level will usually clear the problem in a relatively short time. Running the jets and blowers and scooping the foam off can also help. Using MPS to shock can sometimes be effective.

You could use an enzyme product or a foam oil absorber to help.

Draining and refilling is sometimes the fastest and surest way to deal with a problem spa. I have found that it is often less work than trying to deal with really bad water.

Right now my Ph ~7.6, TA ~60, CH ~150, Borates ~50, TC~ I super shocked to 10ppm. A little foam is understandable and I can deal with that, what I had looked like a bubble bath! I will try changing out the filter. Anybody have any opinions good, or bad about filter cleaning chems/tools that are available on the Spa web sites?

The enzymes and foam oil absorbers do help, but they are usually not worth the extra cost. TSP is the best for cleaning your filters. You should get a second set of filters so that you can always have a fresh, clean set ready to go while you are cleaning the dirty set.

What is the procedure to clean my filter cartridge?

1) Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer’s instructions

2) Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between the pleats.

3) Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone

4) For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (overnight is most effective) in:

(A) a commercial filter cleaner, or,

(B) one cup tri sodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons of water

© one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

5) Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

6) If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.

7) Rinse the filter cartridge clean and reassemble housing.

http://www.pleatco.com/index-2B.html

Over the holiday I had a large bather load in the tub (5-6 people for 1/2 hour). I super shocked (I am using bleach) in hopes of killing all the waste, I thought I did okay but I am getting a lot of foaming and I can see some of the oils/residue on the surface of the water. I just dumped and refilled a month ago. I really don't want to refill again. Any recommendations?

With jets on high scoop out the foam. Rinse your filter then do it again.

Greg