Indoor Spa That Fits Through Standard Sliding Door?

I'd like some help, recommendations as far as the largest,most reliable, best featured tub I can fit through my door and into a room made specifically for a hot tub. I want to avoid removing any of the existing doors, so it can be removed, if need be, for service, or if the home is sold, and the new home owner wants it removed. Depending on which way I have the unit brought in, directly to the room there is a slider with 76.5 x 33.5 My other option is taking it through two doors, one that has a 79 x 35 opening followed by a second sliding door that is 78.5 x 33.

I have seen countless debates about full foam shells, wood frames, metal frames. Without rehashing this issue, if anyone has a recommendation for a spa, bear in mind that the spa will be used indoors, and I already have the 240 wiring in place, 50 amp. I would prefer a spa that has a decent warranty when purchased new, in case anything does go wrong, especially in the first two or three years. I am well over 6 feet tall, and found some tubs like the Caldera Kaui too short at 29 inches, and just too small, overall, though I realize there may be another manufacturer with a tub 30 or 32 inches that might be fine. If I could get a Caldera Martinique 7'5" x 6'4" x 34" through the doors, that would seem a decent sized tub. I noticed the Dimension One Seville is 78x 84 x 30 so this may also be an option. Also, I want one with more powerful jets, since I have seen some that don't give a vigorous enough massage for my liking. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I'd like some help, recommendations as far as the largest,most reliable, best featured tub I can fit through my door and into a room made specifically for a hot tub. I want to avoid removing any of the existing doors, so it can be removed, if need be, for service, or if the home is sold, and the new home owner wants it removed. Depending on which way I have the unit brought in, directly to the room there is a slider with 76.5 x 33.5 My other option is taking it through two doors, one that has a 79 x 35 opening followed by a second sliding door that is 78.5 x 33.

I have seen countless debates about full foam shells, wood frames, metal frames. Without rehashing this issue, if anyone has a recommendation for a spa, bear in mind that the spa will be used indoors, and I already have the 240 wiring in place, 50 amp. I would prefer a spa that has a decent warranty when purchased new, in case anything does go wrong, especially in the first two or three years. I am well over 6 feet tall, and found some tubs like the Caldera Kaui too short at 29 inches, and just too small, overall, though I realize there may be another manufacturer with a tub 30 or 32 inches that might be fine. If I could get a Caldera Martinique 7'5" x 6'4" x 34" through the doors, that would seem a decent sized tub. I noticed the Dimension One Seville is 78x 84 x 30 so this may also be an option. Also, I want one with more powerful jets, since I have seen some that don't give a vigorous enough massage for my liking. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Assuming that 76.5x33.5 for the one opening option is a very accurate measurement of the door opening then you are fairly limited. I'm not sure why you even mention the Caldera Martinique as you state it is 34" tall so that would be simply out.

My personal short list of what I consider to be some of the best spa makers (including having being a manufacturer with a good warranty that they stand behind) includes Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Since the spa can't be more than 33" tall the following are examples of some good models that should be able to be placed on a dolly with their short side up and fit:

Hot Spring- Prodigy (74" short side, 33" tall), Jetsetter (65" short side, 29" tall)

Jacuzzi- J315 (66" short side, 32" tall)

Marquis- Spirit (60" short side, 29.5" tall)

Sundance- Marin (75" short side, 33" tall), Capri (69" short side, 30.5" tall)

The Caldera Kauai is also a good option but you mentioned it as not fitting right. On your other opening option of 78.5x33, that D1 Seville at 78" x30" would be a tight fit that wouldn't allow the spa to be on a dolly but with care they should be able to get it through with the outer packaging removed.

If you get a spa that is really close to the opening as some of the ones I suggested are I would suggest whoever you look to do business with that you request them to do a site inspection BEFORE you purchase so there is clear understanding and they measure themselves.

Hi spatech, thank you for the suggestions as it will narrow my search considerably. I only mentioned the Marquis, because I could try removing the entire sliding door frame, so that the width wouldn't be a major issue. One thing I noticed at one spa dealer is that the particular Hot Springs spa I looked at, the model escapes me, had something like two pumps, a 2 HP and 1.5 HP motor, and the jets did not feel really powerful, but maybe that was just a matter of adjusting the jets, directing them differently. There was one company, maybe Sunrise? that had a Little Dipper model that was quite small yet had one 5HP motor. I'm aware that this is a lesser known company, doesn't have an established reputation such as the ones you recommended, one reason I can't seriously consider it. I will try to locate a local dealer that has a Sundance Marin on display, since that would be a decent sized tub for my wants/needs. Thanks again for mentioning specific models.

Hi spatech, thank you for the suggestions as it will narrow my search considerably. I only mentioned the Marquis, because I could try removing the entire sliding door frame, so that the width wouldn't be a major issue. One thing I noticed at one spa dealer is that the particular Hot Springs spa I looked at, the model escapes me, had something like two pumps, a 2 HP and 1.5 HP motor, and the jets did not feel really powerful, but maybe that was just a matter of adjusting the jets, directing them differently. There was one company, maybe Sunrise? that had a Little Dipper model that was quite small yet had one 5HP motor. I'm aware that this is a lesser known company, doesn't have an established reputation such as the ones you recommended, one reason I can't seriously consider it. I will try to locate a local dealer that has a Sundance Marin on display, since that would be a decent sized tub for my wants/needs. Thanks again for mentioning specific models.

Take a good look at the Sundance Marin.

Don't get caught up in tricky horsepower ratings, go with what feels right. Besides, that spa with the supposed 5 hp pump was certainly giving you the brake horsepower (5 BHP) not the running HP (or Marketing horsepower) when its really more like maybe a 2.5 true hp pump. Its a trick some use to make it seem like they have "bigger" pumps than the competition. As you can see it caught your eye, its shameful IMO because its mean to deceive you which it did.

Thanks James, spatech. spatech, that particular dealer now carries Sunrise and some 120 volt blow molded tub, that was not an option. I don't know if he lost the Hot Springs dealership, because he had a few on display, but said he was no longer carrying the line, and was raving about the foam packs, metal frames of the Sunrise. He may have even had the jets on the Hot Spring set up so it would not feel as strong as the Sunrise on display. I read elsewhere that the metal frames cause more noise/vibration, can corrode faster than wood frames, though I don't know if any of this is true. The marin model looks like it would fit through my doors, so I wouldn't have to worry if it needed to be removed for some type service issue. There were a limited number of reviews for the Sundance Marin on epinions and they are all over the chart. Are there any pros/cons to the Marin, Marquis (ASSuming it fits through some door)and Hot Springs Prodigy? There is a dealer of Sundance that is about 50 miles from me, and he said he can service it in my area. He didn't have a Marin on display, and seemed to have more Calspas than actual Sundance models in the showroom. I mean no offense to anyone that sells Calspa, but the quality, fit and finish of the displayed hot tubs, to a complete novice, seemed quite evident.

My local dealer has two Cameos on display, with water. I read that the lounger in the Marin might be a bit tight for someone over 6 feet. Is the lounger in the Cameo about the same size so I get some idea of the fit? He said it has the same 2 pumps, so if anything, it might feel stronger in a smaller tub with 31 jets as opposed to 46 jets. Thanks for letting me know about the Marin. He didn't mention the option of the Marin, and like I said, Calspa, no offense, which he had a smaller model that would fit through the door, seemed like it was hand made in someone's garage, in comparison to the Sundance models he does have displayed.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a site inspection, and can take the doors out of one slider, taking the spa through my house into the rear sun room. The Caldera Martinique WOULD fit. I have not found a Dimension One dealer near me, yet. I mentioned the Sundance dealer did not have a Marin in stock, wet or dry. The Caldera dealer doesn't have the Martinique wet.The closest Sundance dealer no longer carries Sundance and said they had problems with dealer support. They now sell Hot Springs exclusively. They didn't have a Hot Spring Prodigy in stock. However the Prodigy only has one pump, in a tub similar in size to the Sundance Marin and Caldera Martinique. Odd that Caldera seems to have the edge over Hot Spring in a similar sized tub, from the same parent.

Can anyone give their opinion as to preference between the Sundance Marin and Caldera Martinique? I got a price of $6399 for the Martinique, which I think is very reasonable. That was with no negotiation, and the new dry floor model (not my shell color preference), but no wait to be built, installed cover lifter would be several hundred cheaper. My guess is the Marin will be considerably higher, maybe $8000 or more? Does anyone know a recent price quote on the Marin? The Caldera dealer is less than 10 miles from my house, the closest Sundance dealer at least 40 miles away, which might affect future service calls. I'm still at least two weeks from finishing the room being custom built for the spa. I would probably be happy with either spa, and either parent company, if problems arise.

Any comments, opinions appreciated.

We've sold, and I've serviced both Sundance & Caldera. We also had some trouble with Sundance as far as too long for shipments of spas, etc. IMO I would go with Caldera over Sundance. Caldera is owned by Watkins, the HotSpring people...a great company.

Don't discount the HotSpring Prodigy because of the single pump - I would wet test it and the others before making a decision. If they really want to sell one they should get them up and running for you.

We've sold, and I've serviced both Sundance & Caldera. We also had some trouble with Sundance as far as too long for shipments of spas, etc. IMO I would go with Caldera over Sundance. Caldera is owned by Watkins, the HotSpring people...a great company.

Don't discount the HotSpring Prodigy because of the single pump - I would wet test it and the others before making a decision. If they really want to sell one they should get them up and running for you.

Take a good look at the cabinet and the finish on the caldera before you make a decision. Second thing i am a sundance dealer and they give excelent dealer support. What part of the country are you in?

I am 6'3" and the Prodigy is not my favorite Hot Spring because of the shallow depth. Although it has a plenty powerful massage. I don't know if you have looked at the Limelight Glow,(made by watkins) Very powerful tub considering it has 30jets and two jet pumps, deeper than the Prodigy, also has foot jets (none in Prodigy) Here is a link. http://www.limelighthottubs.com/glow_hot_tub.html#explore-spas?id=glow-hot-tub. Talk to you later.

The Tiger Spring Bengal is too big, at 6'7" to fit through the door.

I checked on the Limelight spas, and the closest dealer listed is the same dealer that was listed for Sundance.

They don't carry the Limelight Glow, either. That would have worked, and the loungers will all be too small for me, anyway.

James "Take a good look at the cabinet and the finish on the caldera before you make a decision. Second thing i am a sundance dealer and they give excelent dealer support. What part of the country are you in?"

Eastern PA. The closest Sundance dealer (that actually stocks/sells) doesn't have a Marin on display. He is at least 40 miles away.

The Sundance spas certainly had far better fit/finish than the Calspas in the same showroom. I couldn't do a head to head comparison with the fit/finish of a Caldera Martinique. I would think the quality of mechanics of either brand is pretty equal, maybe the Sundance has the edge on aesthetics of the shell/cabinet, since Caldera is slightly less feature laden than Hot Springs, for example.

I liked the look of the Marin, although looks really mean little. If the Marin is available in Terrastone, I like that cabinet, for example, with a sand or sahara shell.

James, it was a Sundance dealer that said she had better support from Hot Springs than Sundance, This may be a regional issue? The closest Sundance dealer, at over 40 miles away, seems to sell more Calspas, which I have no interest in, due to size and quality (no offense to any Calspa dealers).

Although I understand the value of wet testing, I think the Marin or Martinique will have the edge over the Prodigy, having two pumps in a tub with similar dimensions, and I want a strong massage. The Prodigy is ready for inspection, I'll bring a bathing suit and see if it is available for a wet test.

My room should be ready for a tub in about 7 days.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the thread. Just the site inspection suggestion has reassured me that the Marin or Martinique can make it through the doors.

I know dealers may not be able to disclose prices, but what is the average selling price as well as Suggested Retail on the 2010 Marin in some, any region? I have price on the Martinique of $6399 that was negotiable. You can inbox me a real world price if you don't want it posted.

Take a good look at the cabinet and the finish on the caldera before you make a decision. Second thing i am a sundance dealer and they give excelent dealer support. What part of the country are you in?

We are in Florida - this was before they merged with Jacuzzi - maybe they are doing better now.

• 4 weeks later...

Jacuzzi has a beautiful tub for indoor or out, the Jacuzzi J-210. At six feet, six inches diameter (78in X 36in), and with four specific therapy stations, our round hot tubs are perfect for a party of four. The J-210 hot tub is compact, so finding the perfect place for it, indoors or out, is no problem. Equipped with a comfortable foot mound and an adjustable diverting whirlpool jet that propels the swirling water.