Arctic Cub Designer Spa Vs. Caldera Hawaiian?

Sydney

Sorry, but I'm reposting hoping to get an answer with more details from me ...

Yesterday I came across a new 2010 Artic Cub "Designer" spa on Craigs List. She/her soon to be ex have owned for 3 months and have all the original paperwork and manual, and purchased from a dealer about 1-1/2 hours from us. Obviously we would not get the warranty, even though it's "new," and she's asking $3500. Not sure but suspect we'd need to put in 220v (anyone??) and also have it professionally moved ($500 I'd guess).

There's only one pump on this thing (mostly everything we've looked at or read about have 2--is that problematic??). Has lights, waterfall, ozone filtration system. I'm assuming she would have cover/lifter/stairs, I have to ask about that ... she did say she would include chemicals.

Anyone care to comment? I've read mixed reviews on the Artics (good and bad). We live in Wisconsin (Midwest, cold winters, but NOT terrible winters the past 5 years or so).

They paid $4995 on March 28, 2010, and as I said are selling due to divorce. Does not have a cedar exterior--it's a type of "Permawood."

I was told last night that new these cost $7000 to $7500, that's when she told me $4995 was what they paid, I was shocked. She does have the original receipt, manuals, etc., so I can easily check that. Also willing for us to wet test.

Today, I came across a Caldera Hawaiian spa on Craigs List also, an '08 model. This seems to be a bit nicer spa from what I've read on this board so far, although of course it's not just new. They're also willing to let us wet test. They're asking $4200 and it's been for sale since May 26.

If Seller #1 (Arctic Cub '10) tubs really go for $7000, then I'd consider $3500 to be a good deal, but I always negotiate on Craigs List.

I'd definitely negotiate on Seller #2 (Caldera Hawaiian '08)and maybe offer somewhere between $3,000 and $3,500. Any ideas on what an '08 Caldera Hawaiian would be worth in great condition as they say?

Thanks, I'm a newbie :)

Yesterday I came across a new 2010 Artic Cub "Designer" spa on Craigs List. She/her soon to be ex have owned for 3 months and have all the original paperwork and manual, and purchased from a dealer about 1-1/2 hours from us. Obviously we would not get the warranty, even though it's "new," and she's asking $3500. Not sure but suspect we'd need to put in 220v (anyone??) and also have it professionally moved ($500 I'd guess).

There's only one pump on this thing (mostly everything we've looked at or read about have 2--is that problematic??). Has lights, waterfall, ozone filtration system. I'm assuming she would have cover/lifter/stairs, I have to ask about that ... she did say she would include chemicals.

Anyone care to comment? I've read mixed reviews on the Artics (good and bad). We live in Wisconsin (Midwest, cold winters, but NOT terrible winters the past 5 years or so).

They paid $4995 on March 28, 2010, and as I said are selling due to divorce. Does not have a cedar exterior--it's a type of "Permawood."

I was told last night that new these cost $7000 to $7500, that's when she told me $4995 was what they paid, I was shocked. She does have the original receipt, manuals, etc., so I can easily check that. Also willing for us to wet test.

Today, I came across a Caldera Hawaiian spa on Craigs List also, an '08 model. This seems to be a bit nicer spa from what I've read on this board so far, although of course it's not just new. They're also willing to let us wet test. They're asking $4200 and it's been for sale since May 26.

If Seller #1 (Arctic Cub '10) tubs really go for $7000, then I'd consider $3500 to be a good deal, but I always negotiate on Craigs List.

I'd definitely negotiate on Seller #2 (Caldera Hawaiian '08)and maybe offer somewhere between $3,000 and $3,500. Any ideas on what an '08 Caldera Hawaiian would be worth in great condition as they say?

Welcome to the forum newbie!! You are looking at two well respected brands in the industry, so you cant really go wrong either way. I can tell you that don't be leery of the Arctic. The quality is every bit as good as the Caldera. Also, the couple that made the original purchase of the spa got a absolute steal on that spa. That other posted that said that the spas would normally sell for 7-7500 was more accurately correct. You can even see one other post where a guy bought a Prestige Arctic for $5800 which has less jets than the designer. I am not sure why that dealer sold that spa so cheap, but that's their choice. But, what that means to you is that you are getting a great deal as well. Since they offered a wet test, I would take them up on that. The Cub is a very comfortable spa, and even though it only has one pump, it also has the therapy air blower, so you get 14 air jets as well. I think maybe since that couple is getting a divorce you might be able to get that price down some more, but maybe not. But all in all, if you like it, that is a great price for you.

Yes you would need 220v. I would say anywhere from 400-700 dollars to get that done. Most electricians will give you a free estimate if you want to know that before. About 500 would be about right for the move as well. Good luck in your search for the spa!

Welcome to the forum newbie!! You are looking at two well respected brands in the industry, so you cant really go wrong either way. I can tell you that don't be leery of the Arctic. The quality is every bit as good as the Caldera. Also, the couple that made the original purchase of the spa got a absolute steal on that spa. That other posted that said that the spas would normally sell for 7-7500 was more accurately correct. You can even see one other post where a guy bought a Prestige Arctic for $5800 which has less jets than the designer. I am not sure why that dealer sold that spa so cheap, but that's their choice. But, what that means to you is that you are getting a great deal as well. Since they offered a wet test, I would take them up on that. The Cub is a very comfortable spa, and even though it only has one pump, it also has the therapy air blower, so you get 14 air jets as well. I think maybe since that couple is getting a divorce you might be able to get that price down some more, but maybe not. But all in all, if you like it, that is a great price for you.

Yes you would need 220v. I would say anywhere from 400-700 dollars to get that done. Most electricians will give you a free estimate if you want to know that before. About 500 would be about right for the move as well. Good luck in your search for the spa!

Thanks Water Boy!!!

Care to comment more on the Caldera Hawaiian ... or anyone else also?

Also, they (the couple selling the Arctic) are for sure getting a divorce (I checked it out on-line today) ... yeah, I'm cynical and always the deal maker :) I'm also going to call the dealer where they purchased it today at lunchtime to get more details on that tub.

Also got more information last night from the lady selling the Caldera (at $4200). Little more complicated there, but her uncle (who she did give me the name of) had an '02 Caldera and something went wrong with the finish (it bubbled and caused some problems), so the dealer he purchased it from (about 30 miles from us) replaced it in '08 or thereabouts (and yes, I'm calling that dealer today as well, because I figure they'd have a record of 2 hot tubs being sold to this guy). The lady bought it from her uncle new in '08 and moved it to her house (so she doesn't even have a warranty on it, which makes sense).

Anyways, she told me they have 2 kids and just thought they'd use it more, but they haven't been, and she wants to use the $$ for something else like towards their camper and also free up her patio space.

They're on vacation now until 7/6, so that will give us some time to look at the Arctic and wet test it, and then wet test the Caldera when they get back from vacation.

But if we fall in love with the Arctic, perhaps we'll just buy it as it is so new.

Again, any comments on the Caldera situation also appreciated. Thanks!!

I have just passed 5 years with my Arctic Cub and live in WV which isn't super cold per say, but we do get a fair amount of wind where I am. Some of the the reasons I bought it was because of the fiberglass floor, the heavy duty cover and the IMO very well designed/accessible pumps and water supply lines. Before reading the below, I have a family of 4 with 2 young boys who learned to swim in the hot tub. We use it on avg. 3 days a week, sometimes multiple times a day as the kids go back and forth between the pool and tub. (Including all their friends) We still use it 2 days a week in the winter.

After a year of owning it, I ran into the jet issue where they kept breaking pre-maturely. It was really annoying but the dealer that existed back then did send me several shipments of replacements over a 6 month period until Arctic finally got the better quality plastic ones sent out. I can say the replacements ones have made it almost 3 years now with no issues.

About 3 years in I got a very bad leak where some of the glue didn't hold in one of the connections. Although it took a few weeks for a service guy to come out, he did come out and fixed it as well as checking other connections and replacing something in the ?ozonator?. He also replaced my multi-colored light which got a leak.

3 months ago (5 yr mark) my display panel got a leak in it and my pump started sounding awful. No dealers exist anymore within 75 miles of me, maybe more....I did reach a guy who gave me a service guys # who could support warranty service. He came out and had some issues with his initial work checking/sealing some pipes that took him 6 hrs to fix and troubleshoot, but he seemed very knowledgeable and I think it was just a bad day for him. He said the pump worked and Arctic wouldn't replace due to noise. My warranty was about to expire and I panicked, and he then said he would make a call to corporate to find out. A few weeks later, my pump stopped working and he was then unreachable.

When I thought I was screwed, I came back here looking for Tom. What I found was several Arctic staff who promptly reached out to me. Bottom Line: They sent me a brand new pump within a week and with no approved service techs around, offered to reimburse me to use a local tech. to fix it. I'm an average DIY, and with phone support to prepare the effort, I decided to save myself time w/o my tub, save them $ for being so gracious to send me a brand new pump and tried replacing it myself. Due to the old leak, I had a screw holding the pump down that (after speaking to Artic), I cut the rusted screw in half which part of it is still in the bottom of the tub. (It's permanent) Apparently, its only used for shipment since the tubs are shipped on there side with pumps installed at the factory. I can't refasten it down the same way, but was told it's not needed and might be quieter without it. So, now my tub is working great again and they also sent me some extra jets just in case I need them soon.

I do have a slow small droplet leak which I haven't been able to access the source and/or figure how to correct it. I still need to follow-up with Artic to see if they found their tech guy yet rather than pay a local guy a fortune. Over $100 an hr. I think they would still cover the expense for me under warranty.

Some things I also want to point out. This past winter in the the snow that was higher than my tub, my tub held it's temperature even with the snow ball fights my boys had while in the tub! It has not overheated in the summer and worked well in single digits. I also did not notice that my tub was running excessively to maintain the heat either and my electric bill was the same as normal. I use very little bromine and other chemicals as the Ozonator works well. We prefer Brillance....Artic products were good, but no local dealer, cant get them quickly...and Brillance is cheaper and sold at local pool store.

I wish a Arctic Dealer was closer or at least a service guy was more accessible, but I can say without a doubt, they have backed the warranty, and the corporate guys, especially James has been there for me, especially when it mattered most!

Let's hope for a good next 5-10 years, maybe more?! BTW: We comfortably sit 3 adults and 2 children in the CUB. The lounger is great and the jets are well positioned and work well. We paid around 7K for ours 5 years ago.

Artic Cub

Thanks for all the info Arctic Cub. Hopefully buying a new one (and now the seller thinks it might be an '09 floor model when they bought it--and the dealer told me it was a floor model when I called yesterday also, but it was new with the full warranty to the current owner, but that explains the $5269 they paid for an Arctic Cub Designer spa), we won't have any problems (if any) for awhile.

I did ask the dealer (who is the closest to us and about 1-1/2 hours away), if they served our area, and they do, although they will charge a trip charge and then obviously their service fee/hour.

I do get to that city regularly (once a month) as I go there to get my hair done, so we can buy our chemicals and such and talk to the dealer on a regular basis if we decide to purchase the tub.

Working on setting up the wet test on Monday or Tuesday night next week.

My strategy is to do the wet test on the Arctic, and then the Caldera Hawaiian owners ('08 model with no warranty issues per the dealer when I called last night) get back from their vacation on 7/6, we'll do a wet test of theirs and compare the two.

Hoping I can kind of tell each of them we're looking at another tub so we can use that as a negotiating point.

My hope is to pay $3,000 for the Arctic Cub (they're asking $3,500 but they're also divorcing and selling their house), and not sure yet about the Caldera as they're asking $4,200 (hope to get for maybe $3,500).

I have to do some more searching on her about the Caldera though ... although I've heard they're both good spas.

My hope is to pay $3,000 for the Arctic Cub (they're asking $3,500 but they're also divorcing and selling their house), and not sure yet about the Caldera as they're asking $4,200 (hope to get for maybe $3,500).

I have to do some more searching on her about the Caldera though ... although I've heard they're both good spas.

Yes, both are good brands and the Arctic for $3k or the Caldera for $3.5k are good targets to shoot for. As far as going with a new spa, 1½ hrs is certainly a bit far to go but if they really do service your area and you like them I guess a good dealer far away is better than a bad dealer close by. One thing to make sure of though, if they do service from that far away get IN WRITING what that trip/travel fee would be and whether they'll lock that amount in for the duration of that warranty.

Thanks Spatech. I know that the Arctic would have a warranty to the current owner, so we could talk to their dealer when we go up to do the wet test next week.

Not sure that the '08 Caldera would have a warranty as it replaced an '02 Caldera with problems ... think I'm going to call back to the Caldera dealer to see if it has a warranty.

We'll definitely ask about the trip/service charges to get it in writing.

The Caldera dealer is only about 35 miles from us as opposed to the Arctic being 90 miles away, but they both do service our area.

Of all the high priced companies arctic is my least favorite. Along with the big price tag to support the big marketing lots of gear is second rate...

The control is Gecko, high top side failure rate, and pressure sensor issues as always. Still cant figure out why anyone uses anything other than Balboa, you pay a bit more up front but it is a no brainer, assuming of coarse you are able to buy Balboa :-)...

The pumps are marketed as "Italian made" I'm not sure why that should be a good thing, I doubt it is made in the Ferrari factory but more important is the motor which drives the pump which is Chinese made, not that it is a huge issue as it is a decent motor/pump combo but it seems Arctic always tries to make things sound better than they really are... A case in point is the two and a half inch "hi flow pipe" again much ado about nothing because instead of using the very expensive two and a half inch fittings they internally glue less expensive 2" fittings into the pipe, and use 2" shut offs valves... nonsenses because the smallest pinch point is the best flow you are going to get so in reality the plumbing flow rate is just 2" but it looks good and sounds good if you say it fast.

There is also much ado made about the insulation although they will never show you any independent comparison test data because it is no better or worse than any well insulated spa, and suffers the added grief of being prone to leaks. In the real world if there was one way that was a markedly better way to insulate a spa everyone would do it the same way... there are no patents on how to insulate a spa just trademarks on the name you give it :-) but that would be no fun at all, hell what would we fight about if we lost the insulation battle???

The jet failure issue was down to a reaction Rising Dragon jets had to baqua products... it was a nightmare but the rising dragon jets and fittings have been working well since they fixed that. And again it is an example of our friends in the far east getting better and better, I dare say the current Rising Dragon product line is on par with the Waterways stuff on the whole.

All in all, an upper mid grade spa with fantastic marketing and a great sales training program that plays on blowing non issues out of proportion and spins non issues into issues. It has always been a credit to their marketing that they can convince a customer not to have full foam because it is slightly harder to fix leaks... who cares if it takes the manufacturer 10 minutes longer to fix a faulty product, it sure as heck isn't going to be the customer under there doing a re-plumb on a faulty spa regardless of the type of insulation...

Of all the high priced companies arctic is my least favorite. Along with the big price tag to support the big marketing lots of gear is second rate...

The control is Gecko, high top side failure rate, and pressure sensor issues as always. Still cant figure out why anyone uses anything other than Balboa, you pay a bit more up front but it is a no brainer, assuming of coarse you are able to buy Balboa :-)...

The pumps are marketed as "Italian made" I'm not sure why that should be a good thing, I doubt it is made in the Ferrari factory but more important is the motor which drives the pump which is Chinese made, not that it is a huge issue as it is a decent motor/pump combo but it seems Arctic always tries to make things sound better than they really are... A case in point is the two and a half inch "hi flow pipe" again much ado about nothing because instead of using the very expensive two and a half inch fittings they internally glue less expensive 2" fittings into the pipe, and use 2" shut offs valves... nonsenses because the smallest pinch point is the best flow you are going to get so in reality the plumbing flow rate is just 2" but it looks good and sounds good if you say it fast.

There is also much ado made about the insulation although they will never show you any independent comparison test data because it is no better or worse than any well insulated spa, and suffers the added grief of being prone to leaks. In the real world if there was one way that was a markedly better way to insulate a spa everyone would do it the same way... there are no patents on how to insulate a spa just trademarks on the name you give it :-) but that would be no fun at all, hell what would we fight about if we lost the insulation battle???

The jet failure issue was down to a reaction Rising Dragon jets had to baqua products... it was a nightmare but the rising dragon jets and fittings have been working well since they fixed that. And again it is an example of our friends in the far east getting better and better, I dare say the current Rising Dragon product line is on par with the Waterways stuff on the whole.

All in all, an upper mid grade spa with fantastic marketing and a great sales training program that plays on blowing non issues out of proportion and spins non issues into issues. It has

always been a credit to their marketing that they can convince a customer not to have full foam because it is slightly harder to fix leaks... who cares if it takes the manufacturer 10 minutes longer to fix a faulty product, it sure as heck isn't going to be the customer under there doing a re-plumb on a faulty spa regardless of the type of insulation...

Sounds like a response from someone that has an axe to grind with Arctic!

Not really an axe to grind, they just represent the worst of what I class the marketing spin spas... There is so much money spent on this end of the business by what is perceived as the "Top end" of the market. When you look at the cost of the spas from the big players, the high cost of the spas has more to do with the cost of marketing, protected distribution, and High cost showrooms than actual product cost.

I have first hand seen the product quality drop to subsidies marketing in some brands.

Fact: If you take the component cost and manufacturing cost of the "High end" spas it is within a couple hundred dollars of what any mid to high end priced spa costs. The real part of these spas that is "high end" is the marketing and brochures... Hell I want to buy an Arctic spa when i walk in their showrooms and see the flash...

It just seems to me there is a better way to take care of the end user than dazzling them with half truths and marketing spin, high overhead operations and fat margins...

Besides I said it is an upper mid level spa... I dont recommend not buying it nor do i think it is a bad spa... Just overpriced

And after a long day sometimes I just like to blow some steam off; sorry Arctic :-)

If you want to see a post with an axe to grind go to the Dynasty post :-)

Not really an axe to grind, they just represent the worst of what I class the marketing spin spas... There is so much money spent on this end of the business by what is perceived as the "Top end" of the market. When you look at the cost of the spas from the big players, the high cost of the spas has more to do with the cost of marketing, protected distribution, and High cost showrooms than actual product cost.

I have first hand seen the product quality drop to subsidies marketing in some brands.

Fact: If you take the component cost and manufacturing cost of the "High end" spas it is within a couple hundred dollars of what any mid to high end priced spa costs. The real part of these spas that is "high end" is the marketing and brochures... Hell I want to buy an Arctic spa when i walk in their showrooms and see the flash...

It just seems to me there is a better way to take care of the end user than dazzling them with half truths and marketing spin, high overhead operations and fat margins...

Besides I said it is an upper mid level spa... I dont recommend not buying it nor do i think it is a bad spa... Just overpriced

And after a long day sometimes I just like to blow some steam off; sorry Arctic :-)

If you want to see a post with an axe to grind go to the Dynasty post :-)

personally I think you couldn't be more wrong when you say that Arctic takes money away from quality to subsidize marketing! I have been dealing Arctic since the late 90's and I must say the quality of spa they are shelling out is far and above what they built in the beginning. I don't have the numbers but I do know they do extensive research on ways to improve their product on a daily basis. Several changes over the past few years prove this (threaded jets, adjustable head rests, plastic welded fittings to the shell). In my opinion they don't spend enough on marketing! their are plenty of good brands out there and Arctic is amongst the best of all of them.

personally I think you couldn't be more wrong when you say that Arctic takes money away from quality to subsidize marketing!

I Didn't say that Arctic did...

However since you brought it up, the threaded jets were a move from Waterways to Rising Dragon, a cheaper jet, The motor move was to a Chinese motor again cheaper... but frankly I dont have issues with this, both the jet and the motor are good gear...

personally I think you couldn't be more wrong when you say that Arctic takes money away from quality to subsidize marketing!

I Didn't say that Arctic did...

However since you brought it up, the threaded jets were a move from Waterways to Rising Dragon, a cheaper jet, The motor move was to a Chinese motor again cheaper... but frankly I dont have issues with this, both the jet and the motor are good gear...

THey may or may not be cheaper, I don't know and frankly only Arctic truly knows that. I do know that the threaded jets are a great design, and vast improvement over the tabbed jet design that Waterway and the old Rising Dragon used to use. It's far from second rate gear.

All in all, an upper mid grade spa with fantastic marketing and a great sales training program that plays on blowing non issues out of proportion and spins non issues into issues. It has always been a credit to their marketing that they can convince a customer not to have full foam because it is slightly harder to fix leaks... who cares if it takes the manufacturer 10 minutes longer to fix a faulty product, it sure as heck isn't going to be the customer under there doing a re-plumb on a faulty spa regardless of the type of insulation...

Actually the pump wetend or pump portion of the motor is produced by Pentair, not Rising Dragon.

i never said the pump was produced by rising dragon, the jets are, the pump is Pentair, but the motor portion is Chinese...

THey may or may not be cheaper, I don't know and frankly only Arctic truly knows that.

No everyone in the industry would know that :-)

I do know that the threaded jets are a great design, and vast improvement over the tabbed jet design that Waterway and the old Rising Dragon used to use. It's far from second rate gear.

we agree!!!!

i never said the pump was produced by rising dragon, the jets are, the pump is Pentair, but the motor portion is Chinese...

THey may or may not be cheaper, I don't know and frankly only Arctic truly knows that.

No everyone in the industry would know that :-)

I do know that the threaded jets are a great design, and vast improvement over the tabbed jet design that Waterway and the old Rising Dragon used to use. It's far from second rate gear.

we agree!!!!

Chinese made or not, they are much better than the stuff waterway has been shelling out for decades. I personally commend Arctic for being innovative and always looking for ways to better their product line.

IMHO, a big plus for Arctic is that they obviously design their tubs for use in COLD environments. I continue to be amazed by the little amount of electricity our outdoors Arctic hot tub uses in the middle of winter when outside temperatures dip into the single digits Farenheit. Our neighbors have a tub that was conceived of and is manufactured somewhere in southern California and they complain about the "hundreds of dollars" it costs to run their tub for a month in the winter. You get what you pay for.

Just for the record. We didn't switch to Rising Dragon jets to save money. We switched to them because they were a company committed to solving an industry wide jet design problem. It took a while but they solved the jet issues many suppliers of jets still have. Rising Dragon jet stay in and keep spinning. At the end of the day that is what the customer wants. As for motors, we do not buy motors out of China and never have. We buy our current motors out of Italy because they are better quality and are a class 5 enclosure, which is sealed. Many motors in the spa industry are completely open to the environment, which is fine until a mechanical seal goes.

We continue to work on ways to make our spas better.

Regards,

James

IMHO, a big plus for Arctic is that they obviously design their tubs for use in COLD environments. I continue to be amazed by the little amount of electricity our outdoors Arctic hot tub uses in the middle of winter when outside temperatures dip into the single digits Farenheit. Our neighbors have a tub that was conceived of and is manufactured somewhere in southern California and they complain about the "hundreds of dollars" it costs to run their tub for a month in the winter. You get what you pay for.

:lol: gee was that straight out of a marketing brochure or what... Yes Arctic is better that a crap insulated spa but no better than any well insulated spa be it full foam or perimeter heat lock, It always amazes me the lack of common sense people demonstrate...

Any spa regardless of the insulation will cost you hundreds of dollars if you leave the cover off long enough in the winter...

If perimeter heat lock was any better than a full foamed spa or vice-versa then everybody would do it the same way... there are no patents on how to insulate a spa just trade marks on the name you call it...

All well insulated spas are efficient, and all poorly insulated spas are expensive to run... geeze its like grade two in here sometimes.

Sydney,

The Caldera is a much better spa than the Arctic. New it's worth 2000 more...Used it's worth 1000-2000 more.

If they are in the same shape.

In your opinion, I believe the Arctic is a superior product to the Caldera. Caldera has been in my store many a time trying to get me to switch.

In your opinion, I believe the Arctic is a superior product to the Caldera. Caldera has been in my store many a time trying to get me to switch.

Frankly industry experts (unless they have a vested interest) would tend to disagree I think... Arctic is a mareketing gimick spa, the component list is mid grade, the marketing and slaes training is top of the pile...

I dont blame you for not switching, Arctic is a profitable business model, why change somthing that is profitable... and all said and done it is not a bad spa by any standard, just outrageously priced based on outrageous claims and marketing spin...

Just my opinion, but an opinion based on a lifetime of doing this, and in the case of SpaTechsince1979 a life time of doing this....

And you base your opinion on... being an Arctic dealer i suspose :blink: