Heat Exchanger

jiggy

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my heat exchanger. I'll try to put all the facts out, so that you can help. Its this ( http://www.behncke.com/pdf/downloadbereich/download_kunsstoffwaermetauscher_de.pdf ) exchanger (first picture, bottom specs; 47,5 kW). Which is connected to my house heating. And here is the problem: I simply can't get it to heat the water. I've set the gas heater to 70 degrees celsius. Gas heater is 36 KW. And the flow rate of my pool pump is 14000 liters per hour.

I think that the problem lies there, it clearly says, in exchanger specs, that it's operating flow of water is 10000 litres/hour, pump is 14000 l/h.

And even my heater pump has larger flow rate than exchanger's specs: 2500 litres instead of 2000 litres per hour.

But when i touch the outlet pipe (see picture), it considerably colder than inlet. If inlet is 70-80 degrees, then the outlet is 30-40. Pool water is 21 degrees. But when I put my hand in front of the "eyeballs" in the pool, it still feels cold.

I've put you a picture, so you can get a more clearer perspective. I'm living in Europe, so forgive me for metric system.

IMG_4570.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here are things I have noticed in my heat exchanger. The temperature rise in the pool water passing thru a natural gas heat exchanger is only 10degF (5degC) between inlet and outlet. You need to accurately determine the temperature rise of the pool water entering and leaving the heat exchanger to better diagnose the problem. Try putting a sensitive temperature sensor in contact with the pipe at the pool inlet and outlet ports of the heat exchanger. Wrapping the pipe and sensor will help reduce the effects of ambient air in making temperature measurements inaccurate. Try slowing the flow rate of pool water thru the heat exchanger to confirm that heat is transferring?

• 1 year later...

What size is the pool, both in area and capacity.

I suspect we may have some language barriers. We'll work through this so lets not get overly frustrated.

That copper pipe is cause for concern. I also have reservations about how it's connected. It's current connection appears to be an off line configuration. In this configuration, it would need it's own, small, circulation pump to draw water in and to send it back to the pool.

Your heat exchanger seems to be a zone off your home heating system. Unless your pool is under 10,000 liters, I doubt it can keep up with losses due to evaporation. If it can, it will take a very long time to warm the pool.

Here is the States, we use BTUs to measure heating capacity. My pool has a 300,000 BTU heater and my home has an 80,000 BTU heater. At best, your exchanger can produce 162,000 BTUs for the pool.

1 BTU = the amount of heat needed to heat 1 pound of water, one degree Fahrenheit.

Scott