Cloudy Water Trouble

Hello all!

I am trying to recover from a terrible algae issue over the winter/spring. Here's where I am at this point:

(20,000 gallon AG pool with sand filter)

Chlorine - dark, dark yellow (sorry I'm using a crappy OTO kit for that)

pH - 7.5

CYA - 100

TA - 90

CH - 40

I've been brushing constantly, backwashing, even using pantyhose over the skimmer basket. Pump/filer have run 24/7 for 8 days. Nothing seems to cure the cloudy green color I have. Last night I put in some clarifier, let the pump run for about an hour, then shut it off overnight, hoping to let things settle to the bottom. This morning, there is no change. You still can't see deeper than about 3 inches.

(side note) I have significant scaling along the walls and floor, if that's helpful to know... some, but not all, has been brushed free.

The living algae is gone now, but turbidity won't improve. I'm also concerned about the slight green tinge.

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks, Chad

2ufq4jc.jpg

Also, thought it was worth mentioning...

Other than clarifier, I've only added very basic chemicals (bleach, granular shock, muriatic acid, and baking soda). Nothing "foo foo" has been put in. NOTHING from a pool store, and my test results come from Taylor K-2005 kit. Bleach was straight 6% sodium hypochlorite - no detergent.

The sand in filter was freshened up this spring with another 100 lbs. (holds 200 lbs. total).

Thanks!

With CYA 100, your pool is over-stabilized, it requires ridiculous chlorine levels to stay ahead of the algae. If you can drain half the water and refill, that would help a lot. Of course there's no telling what your true CYA level is, as the usual test maxes out at 100 (could be higher).

I'm surprised you have scaling with CH 40, that's very strange. What test kit are you using?

What is the main ingredient on your granular shock? (Just about every form of chlorine gets labeled "shock" by the pool stores.) If it's dichlor (sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione) then that's contributing to the CYA problem, as dichlor adds 9ppm CYA for each 10ppm FC.

--paulr