Sand Trickling Into Pool When Turn On Filter

Hello,

So I posted before mentioning sand coming in the pool. Two different pool stores didn't think it was really a multiport valve issue. I just replaced the laterals last year after the filter shot some sand into the pool. So this year I have been vacuuming up some of the sand from last year in the pool and other debris. Lately, I have seen some sand shooting into the pool for a few seconds when I turn the pump on after vacuuming to waste and rinsing. Also, I am seeing some sand shoot out when I first turn the pump on even after its been off all night etc.. The pool store I talked to just now recommended I open the filter and recheck the laterals. He said they could be bent up, or cracked etc.. Has anyone ever experienced a scenario where laterals that were just replaced are now cracked, bent or something similar? WHat would cause this to happen in less than a year?

Thanks!

When I saw your post I immediately assumed it was a problem with the laterals in your filter. If you're not extremely careful adding the sand back to the filter you can crack or break the laterals. But what a pain to have to unload that thing again to check them. If you do end up going through the trouble of emptying the filter back out to check them I would strongly recommend going to zeolite. It's a much more effective filter media and it is lighter than sand so far less risk of damaging the laterals when adding it. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

When I saw your post I immediately assumed it was a problem with the laterals in your filter. If you're not extremely careful adding the sand back to the filter you can crack or break the laterals. But what a pain to have to unload that thing again to check them. If you do end up going through the trouble of emptying the filter back out to check them I would strongly recommend going to zeolite. It's a much more effective filter media and it is lighter than sand so far less risk of damaging the laterals when adding it. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Do you know or does anyone know if this is a common issue? I feel like I was awfully careful putting the laterals back in, but who knows. What is this Zeolite stuff? and where do you buy it?

Also, could the fact that I am vacuuming out old sand that got into the pool last year have any thing to do with sand coming back in through the filter? Or is this probably unrelated?

I would check your stand pipe for cracks especially the portion under the lateral area. Its very common for things to crack inside if the filter is not winterized properly in a freezing climate. When you add the sand fill the tank up at least half this will help disperse the sand.

I need advice also please...We started getting sand in our pool last year and it continued through the year...We have a S244t Hayward Filter.

After reading on the message boards I came to the conclusion the laterals may be bad. I took out all of the sand and removed the entire asy. and here are the pictures...Laterals

When I looked at the asy. and saw that some of the screws had no head and saw the gaps...I was sure I had found the problem.

Becasue our filter was pretty old we went ahead and purchased the entire filter with new valve.

Well I put it in and followed all the directions and was very carefull adding the sand back in. I filled it halfway with water and covered the hole in the lateral asy. with a Ziplock bag and taped it on and then took a small pc. of cardboard and held over the top of the asy. and poured the sand in very slowly.

Well guess what...... I still have sand coming into the pool???

Not as much but we have been running the filter several days now and we vaccuum out the sand and the next day it is on the floor of the pool again.

Could this be some of the old sand that was in the lines??? or what else can I do. Thanks for any help.[/size]