Proper Placement Of Return Jets

I have seen conflicting advice, and not sure it is critical but curious to your thoughts....

Should the return jets be positioned such that the flow breaks the water surface and causes ripples, or rather positioned under the water to increase flow below the surface.

The obvious goal is to increase flow towards the skimmers, I would think.

Any thoughts?

This is one of those questions that is highly debated. Part of the answer depends on how many return jets you have. Your goals are to keep water/chemicals circulated and also to help direct surface debris towards the skimmer/s for maximum cleaning. If you have 4-5 return jets, my preference is to adjust them so that there is a slight movement on the pool surface, and are pushing water in a circular motion around your pool. If you have a jet that would have to be pointed at a skimmer, point it downward or away from the skimmer as too much flow can prevent the debris from going into the skimmer. If you have a return jet near steps or benches, the jets can also be positioned to help sweep debris off the step. If you are limited to 1 or 2 return jets, then you may have to point one into the deep end to force deep circulation & use the other one to move the surface. You can purchase return jets with different size orifices, giving each jet a different pressure.

If you are limited to 1 or 2 return jets, then you may have to point one into the deep end to force deep circulation & use the other one to move the surface.

Interesting thoughts. I agree a circular flow is necessary. I am limited to 2 jets, but is focusing a jet down into the deep end important? I would think that water being pulled out of the pool from the main drains would stimulate flow and deep mixing in the deep end, wouldn't it? Shame to "waste" a jet pushing deep flow....

If you've not had problems with deep circulation in the past, then continue what you've been doing. Some pools don't do as well in deep end unless you force the water down there.

what would be the symptoms of poor flow in the deep end? water clarity? I have always thought it seemed OK, but don't want to miss anything

point them just below the surface to move debris towards the skimmers. the jets that are not pointed in the direction of the skimmers (like jets on the wall where skimmers are) point them down towards the floor. many of my customers insists the jets not break the water and not be pointed low as well. they like some ripple effect on the water and I need floating debris to be moved towards the skimmers. makes cleaning easier if the skimmer can pick up most of the leaves and stuff before they get waterlogged and drop to the floor.