Heating Element Or Thermostat Sundance Capri

swids

I have a 6 year old Sundance Capri.Displayed a watchdog error. Reset,water temperature display is not accurate.One time it will read in the 90's come back a while later it will read in 80's and now it says 106.When it is the range to call for heat the relays work, correct voltage on each leg, and both legs are pulling about 22 amps.Dsconnect and Ohms are 4. The return water is only luke warm not hot as normal. Seems like 2 problems but my thought is that they are probably related. Also would like to know how the thermostat is removed... Any suggestions are appreciated.....Thank You Steve

I have a 6 year old Sundance Capri.Displayed a watchdog error. Reset,water temperature display is not accurate.One time it will read in the 90's come back a while later it will read in 80's and now it says 106.When it is the range to call for heat the relays work, correct voltage on each leg, and both legs are pulling about 22 amps.Dsconnect and Ohms are 4. The return water is only luke warm not hot as normal. Seems like 2 problems but my thought is that they are probably related. Also would like to know how the thermostat is removed... Any suggestions are appreciated.....Thank You Steve

It is more than likely a temperature sensor, it is not uncommon for those to go bad. I have seen it happen frequently and those are the symptoms, that will typically make the spa go into watch dog. you will have to drain the spa down below the filter area to replace. it is the gray fitting that looks like a fixed button with a hex head for a base in the filter well. to replace you would need to disconnect it out of sensor harness that is connected to the control board, use a ratchet to unthread sensor from shell, tie a string to end of sensor wire and pull out of tub completely, take new sensor tie wire end to string pull back through hole in shell and tighten fitting. do not over tighten, just enough to compress the o-ring enough to seal. reconnect sensor into harness make sure blacjk and red wires are in proper positions, look at other sensors to verify. plug harness back into board. you should verify that the tempsensor is the problem. you can pull the sensor out and look at the end if it is discolored where connects to the sensor, it is bad, or get a new sensor and plug it in and throw it over the side,into water, have a digital thermometer and verify it is reading the correct temperature, or have a tech come out to troubleshoot, they havge a test plug that can diagnose sensor problems quickly and easily. if you buy t5he sensor and do it yourself, and it is not the problem most dealers won't take them back. unless you really feel comfortable with this process I would have a tech come out and take care of it, but for what it's worth if the temp sensor is the problem that is how you would replace it. As I mentioned I have seen this part fail before and the4 symptoms you describe indicate that is the problem.