Hayward De4820 Installation Instructions

About a year ago, I installed a Hayward DE4820 Filter. Since then, I have had nothing but problems keeping my pool clean. My equipment is old so I chalked it up to the heater coming apart or a possible crack in the line underground. This weekend, I tore the filter apart to clean it and it was destroyed. Now that I have replaced it with a DE6020, I have come to find out that the installation instructions for the Hayward DE4820 I bought a year ago showed the inlet on top not the bottom as it should have. Being that I'm no pool expert, I took the installation instructions as gospel. Has anyone else had a simiilar experience with this issue and if so, were you able to go back to Hayward for resolution? Leslies Pool Supply acknowledged that the installation instructions were wrong but would not admit to having prior knowledge of it and has referred me back to the manufacturer....

You have your manuals mixed up. The Hayward DE4820 has always had the inlet at the bottom bulkhead fitting for the Multiport or Plunger valve to attach to. If you have the correct valve there is no mistaking it. Their Cartridge filter such as the C4020 is the same exact tank but the inlet is on the top. :D

There are no instructions from Hayward for installing the DE filter without a valve, either multiport or slide valve. Inlet/outlet are not marked for plumbing directly to the filter. The owner's manual specifically states "This product should be installed and serviced only by a qualified professional." It's unlikely that you will get any assistance from Hayward since installation issues are not normally warrantable as the problem you had is not a defective product, but rather incorrect installation.

If you still have the manual with an incorrect diagram, then you may have some luck. I went back & looked at a ProGrid manual that I've used for several years, and also looked at the current owner's manual online. I don't see any diagram like you describe. That's not saying you don't have one, but it would be surprising.