Need Help Quickly- Gulf Coast Spas

GKL

Last night I paid $4500 for a new LX 7000, tax & delivery, in the Baltimore ,Md area.

Should I cancel the deal?

I've seen mostly horor stories on this site about Gulf Coast in general.

I'm very handy BUT don't want to WORK on something I should be enjoying especially when its NEW. I could have bought an '06 Colman model 481 premium (6 months old) for $4500 + $450 to move it, but though it better to buy NEW W/ a warranty.

I liked the LX7000 for price, components & construction. My biggest fear WOULD BE; faulty assembly and leaks.

Is the LX7000 and the "POWER DEPOT" going to be a burden?

I had a spa about 15 years ago that was great- for 5-6 years never had any problems with anything, unfortunatly I don't remember the manufacturer?

Let me know you personal experiences please with the LX series GCSpas.

greglandon@mris.com

thanks!

I have 2 close friends that both have GC spas for about a year and a half. Neither has had any major trouble with them, the main gripe has been $100 + a month jumps in the electric bill in the winter time (New England). I went with them when they got them and I was put off by the sales pitch that the were 8 or 9K tubs but you were getting a big deal for this reason or that when in fact they are really 4k tubs and you are basically getting what you pay for. I put them in the same bracket as home depot/costco spas.

Other than that I think they are ok as long as you know you get what you pay for. Good Luck. If you have any specific question feel free to ask.

Mark

Last night I paid $4500 for a new LX 7000, tax & delivery, in the Baltimore ,Md area.

Should I cancel the deal?

I've seen mostly horor stories on this site about Gulf Coast in general.

I'm very handy BUT don't want to WORK on something I should be enjoying especially when its NEW. I could have bought an '06 Colman model 481 premium (6 months old) for $4500 + $450 to move it, but though it better to buy NEW W/ a warranty.

I liked the LX7000 for price, components & construction. My biggest fear WOULD BE; faulty assembly and leaks.

Is the LX7000 and the "POWER DEPOT" going to be a burden?

I had a spa about 15 years ago that was great- for 5-6 years never had any problems with anything, unfortunatly I don't remember the manufacturer?

Let me know you personal experiences please with the LX series GCSpas.

greglandon@mris.com

thanks!

GKL, this message has no content!

After reading the forum and sending the above message I called the 24/7 hot line. This was actually the second time, the first being at 12:30 am Thursday when I spoke w/ a very knowledgable guy (not a kid) about the tub in general and specifically about access for conduit to run wire/cable to unit.

Yesterdays call at 7:30 Am was received by a very knowledgable female. Our conversation was focused on problems I had seen in this forum. All my concerns have been laid to rest. Most of the problems seen here "I attribute" to owner error, weather it be lack of knowledge or lack of inspection, at no time did the tech blame the spa owner.

High electrical costs can be caused by high use or water temp at 104 or lacking to secure the cover of the skirting. (If you leave you heat or AC on while you are on vacation then you will will have high utility bills)If you leave you spa temp set high when not in use the same thing- high utility bills. These spas also have a brain that senses the temp in the pump area if that temp is below 42 the brain runs the pump & heater every hour for 15 min. for the next 24 hours then checks the temp again if the owner has opened the cover to check that lets cold air in and the cycle starts over.

Cloudy water sounded like garbage in garbage out or stuck with. How can someone expect to put soft water or high in Iron water into a spa and expect the water to be anything but a problem?

I remember years ago my pool company telling me the water I will swim in will be better than the water I drink.

By the way BOTH service techs took plenty of time to talk with me, I never felt rushed nor did they act like I was stupid. They both gave me tips on inspecting the spa when it arrives, before adding water. I've never bought a new car, furniture or appliance with out inspecting as much of it as I could befor ACCEPTING IT and it will be that way with my spa.

This is however NOT a spa for someone that wants to call a serviceman to change the undewater light, or doesn't know how to balance the spa water chemistry. I am handy and I like the thought that I have a choice with service: Let a tech walk me through a complete diagnostic test and get it repaired TODAY -OR as a second option (as with MOST other appliance repairs) call a repairperson and wait for them to FIT ME into THEIR schedule to come out to DIAGNOSE the problem and then reschedule when they get the parts and the time to come back???

BUT, I HAVEN'T LIVED WITH "HER" YET!

(If you're married you know what I mean)

I plan to post GOOD & BAD (if any) or just my feelings in dealing with Gulf Coast Spa's.

GREG!

"High electrical costs can be caused by high use or water temp at 104 or lacking to secure the cover of the skirting."

I can assue you that the number one reason for high electrical cost is poor insulation. The other reasons may be contributing factors but don't fool yourself they don't have good insulation. I'm not saying I don't think you should get it I just think people should understand what they are buying before they get it.

I have a poorly insulated tub myself but I knew that before I bought it and decided it was worth it for the very low price I paid for mine $3,600. As I said in my above post I don't really have a problem with the GC tubs it's the way that they are marketed as high end tubs and they make up some fake retail price and tell you what a great deal you are getting by getting a tub that retails for 8k for 5k or what ever. If you look at craigslist you will see every excuse in the book why they are discounting them but the truth is they are really just 4 or 5 k tubs. I think as long as someone understands that than thats fine.

I wish you luck with your tub.

"High electrical costs can be caused by high use or water temp at 104 or lacking to secure the cover of the skirting."

I can assue you that the number one reason for high electrical cost is poor insulation. The other reasons may be contributing factors but don't fool yourself they don't have good insulation. I'm not saying I don't think you should get it I just think people should understand what they are buying before they get it.

I have a poorly insulated tub myself but I knew that before I bought it and decided it was worth it for the very low price I paid for mine $3,600. As I said in my above post I don't really have a problem with the GC tubs it's the way that they are marketed as high end tubs and they make up some fake retail price and tell you what a great deal you are getting by getting a tub that retails for 8k for 5k or what ever. If you look at craigslist you will see every excuse in the book why they are discounting them but the truth is they are really just 4 or 5 k tubs. I think as long as someone understands that than thats fine.

I wish you luck with your tub.

Can I add additional insullation? What type? spray foam, foam panels, fiberglass non vapor barring bats?

This tub has an Inner thermazone and an outer thermazone barrier insulation. High density foam on the tub and a 5 part insulation on the botton and skirting. The cover is 5" tapper to 3".

What do you think about GC's "POWER DEPOT" self monitoring component spa pack?

GREG!

Can I add additional insullation? What type? spray foam, foam panels, fiberglass non vapor barring bats?

This tub has an Inner thermazone and an outer thermazone barrier insulation. High density foam on the tub and a 5 part insulation on the botton and skirting. The cover is 5" tapper to 3".

What do you think about GC's "POWER DEPOT" self monitoring component spa pack?

GREG!

I think they use a lot of Marketing buzz words.

Monitor your electrical usage and be prepared to boost the insulation.

If you add insulation, I am sure that you can kiss any warranty good bye. I think that the company you spoke to over the phone sold you a bill of goods. Of course they are going to try to tell you that it wnt have any problems. To try telling you that people have the high energy bills because they keep the water at 104 degress or dont latch the cover. C'mon, thats complete BS. I keep my spa at 104 all the time and I never latch my cover. I also use my tub at least 3 times a week. The energy bill hardly changed with the hot tub. It sounds like someone was trying to cover up a poorly insulated tub. I am not saying to buy it it or anything like that but from what you described, you are resting your concerns because a representative told you so. Do your own research but it sounds like you were fed a bunch of crap.

I really can't help but I would like to find out how yours does. I looked at the LX9000 and really liked what I saw but it does seem to good to be true.

I've gone further than you, I've paid for the thing so I'm real concerned about how it all turns out. I like everything I'v seen about the GC Spa. I'm hopeful all the naysayers on this site are basing their opinions on an older GC spa, I don't think the LX series have been out all that long, this may be their 2nd year. I'm not expecting a lot of service fron the local dealer, if I wanted that I probably would have bought a $10K spa. I owned a spa before and had no problems as long as I lived there (5-6 years) REALLY HOPING THIS WILL BE THE SAME and I can come back in a month to boast abour Gulf Coast Spas.

The spas my friends got were I believe 2005 models purchased in late Oct/early Nov of last year. They got 2 different models one is a few inches deeper and larger than the other. I just tried to go to the Gulf Coast website to see if I could pick out what model they were but the website isn't coming up. :-). I honestly think you will be ok. The thing isn't going to blow up on you (hopefully). Maybe your power bills will be higher than you expected but as long as you really enjoy the hot tub experience I still think it will be worth it. When are they delivering it?

The spas my friends got were I believe 2005 models purchased in late Oct/early Nov of last year. They got 2 different models one is a few inches deeper and larger than the other. I just tried to go to the Gulf Coast website to see if I could pick out what model they were but the website isn't coming up. :-). I honestly think you will be ok. The thing isn't going to blow up on you (hopefully). Maybe your power bills will be higher than you expected but as long as you really enjoy the hot tub experience I still think it will be worth it. When are they delivering it?

It should be in the first week of January but the store will hold it until I get my spa pad poured or pavers laid. I have a 35'x16' stone/paver patio under my deck which is next to where I want the spa so I may put it on the patio ASAP and get the pad done in better weather. I really enjoyed my 1st spa under the stars and planned this on to be partially under the deck overhang but mostly to the open sky.

Please get into the GC web site and let me know what you think. Just this afternoon I sent the manufacturer an email asking specifically who made the various components (Oz, heater, skirting, pump and what the r-rating is on the walls, bottom & tub shell) some real tigh down questions since the site and brochure don't specify, I'll see what they come back with.

Thanks for your interest & concern. I will post as I go.

GREG!

GKL,

my wife and I purchased a Gulf Coast around thanksgiving. At the time, I believed the sales pitch (I'm gulllable) and thought I was getting a good deal. Actually, I still think I got a good deal, I'm just a little worried about the insulation in my spa. I bought from a distributor and got a 2005 floor model (not filled, just display) of the Rotunda (500 gallon model). I paid a tad more than 3000, hooked it up myself, and I am a newbie to spas and thier chemicals/equipment.

So far, we love the spa in the tub. 4 people are way more than comfortable. We havent had more, but I think 7-8 shouldnt be too far of a stretch if we wanted.

I got the tub hooked up in Late Nov 06 (probably 27th or so) and running at 101 degrees since. my electric bill went up quite a bit but havent had a full month yet. Also had christmas lights running, and quite a bit more heating days than before.

We live in wisconsin, so it gets pretty cold here. Although, we havent to many days below 25 F. pretty mild.

I havent strapped down the cover but will likely do so bungies due to wierd mounting of the cover straps. I think the bungees will work better for me. Also, I invested in a $8 "soft cover" under the hard cover to help condensation and water logging of the hard cover.

I use a local dealer recomended 100% bromine system from Brillaince. So far, I like it pretty well. Still trying to get the hang of floater levels, shocking, etc.

I'll be real interested in hearing what you have to say about yours. I especially am interested in hearing about ideas about how to incorporate additional insulation to our Gulf Coasts.

I'm pretty happy thus far with mine. I bought under the assumption that when I sell this home (starter home), buyer may write requirement for the spa and I may have to leave. Thats why i didnt go any more expensive with my first tub.

I dont often check this forum. I usually am another but will check in from time to time.

Good luck with your preparations/communication. I hope you enjoy yours!

Joe

"I bought under the assumption that when I sell this home (starter home), buyer may write requirement for the spa and I may have to leave. Thats why i didnt go any more expensive with my first tub."

I did the exact same thing, didn't want to spend a lot when I was just going to be moving.

I think if you do a search there are several posts about people that added insulation to thier tubs and were quite happy with the results. I know there is one in the big costco/hydro thread.

Enjoy the tub.

I'm actually just searching for that now. I'm a little concerned about adding insulation to the cabinet where there is so much electrical. Is that kinda a fire hazzard?

Well, maybe ill search through existing and then maybe start a thread about ideas for adding insulation to the cabinet.

I'm actually just searching for that now. I'm a little concerned about adding insulation to the cabinet where there is so much electrical. Is that kinda a fire hazzard?

Well, maybe ill search through existing and then maybe start a thread about ideas for adding insulation to the cabinet.

Yesterday I spoke with the VP of Tatum Manufacturing (www.tatummanufacturing.com) who are the actual manufactures of Gulf Coast Spas for the last year. Everything about the LXseries at GC has changed. Prior to 2006 GC was Hydrospas.

I specifically asked about adding insullation to the LX series and was told its not necessary and by adding and sealing any air leaks beyond what has been done could damage the spa via lack of air to cool the motors OR cause condensation to form inside between the cavity of the tub & skirtting.

GC or Tatum is using Dell Ozonator and "GECKO" IN.XM spa pack platform, heater and controls(http://www.aeware.ca/#SlideFrame_2) In the lower end (DX and below) the Balboa electronice and traditional spa pacs are still being used

Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

Tatum & GC tell me at the SPA show in Las Vegas this was the latest and newest thing and won awards there at the show???

I was also told I could have my own spa line built with "my private label" by ordering 1,000-1,500 spas, I guess this is what Costco has been able to do.

Of the 10,000 spas sold by Tatum in 2006 only 1% had a problem.

Good info GKL. Thats pretty good customer service that the VP of the company talked to you about insulation. It looks like Tatum Manufacturing and Gulf Coast are the same company. According to BBB website the president of Gulf Coast is Bradford Tatum and both companies are listed together. Hopefully the changes they made improved the insulation. I guess the proof will be in the pudding in the form of your electric bill next month. Let us know how it works out.

... and Michael Jackson has only had 1 nose job!

How many other manufacturers can you call on 800 number and get a tech. that has had to receive atleast some of the world wide calls from tub owners? If an owner of a D1, Hot Springs etc has a problem how many dealers get the call and handel it w/o going to corporate. I can't beleive that 1% is ALL the problems, maybe these are the ones that they are required to send a tech. or the ones they need to send parts out for the owner to make the repairs??

What kind of stats are reported for ANY spa?

Shame consumer Reports doesn't test spas like appliances? But from what I'm learning there seem to be MORE spa manufactures & varions models that its a wonder more than 3 people own the same spa.

It seems I'm getting more & more anxious to start TESTING my spa than using it.

GREG!

How many other manufacturers can you call on 800 number and get a tech. that has had to receive atleast some of the world wide calls from tub owners?

The tech line sounds like a good idea but I do believe 90% of the reason they have a tech line available to their customers is that is their way of trying to get the customer to diagnose/fix the spa thus saving the manufacturer from having to send out a tech very often. It's great for answering questions and covering nuisance issues and in general I like the idea but when/if you have a real problem and you're not wanting to be your own spa tech I hope you can get prompt service. Premium spa makers have techs readily available for your dealer to call because they have the dealer fix the spa under warranty. Yeah I know, your warranty is the same (on paper).

I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm sure thats why they (GC) sell their spas at 50-60% below "true dealer" spas.

Personally, I like being able to call a tech that will walk me thru to determine the problem and then fed-ex me the part in 2-3 days if nexessary.

I've never had to have my prior spa serviced but would assume it would go something like "Call dealer, then in 3-5 business days (8am-5pm M-F) a tech shows up to diagnose the problem, tech has to get dealer authorization to order the parts, dealer waits to get parts then calls the customer so he can call the tech to re-schedule to come out to make the repair (3-5 business days 8am-5pm M-F)". I hope there are many that have ALWAYS had service THAT DAY and at the time THEY wanted, without having to take off work.

I realize there are alot of people that "can't change a spa filter" and they need a good service department that would be responsible to that spa retailer and certified as a sps tech (if such a certification exists) as opposed to some monkey that shows up and does more harm than good, having no more cares about repairing the spa for THAT customer than and appliance repairman you called out of the phone book.

If I am unable to OR want a tech to make the repairs, there is a $50 service charge.

Let me ask you SPATEC, (not knowing you, I assume you are a "spa tech") havn't you met some tech's you wouldn't want working on YOUR spa??

I also assume you do your own repairs on your spa.

What would you do if after purchasing YOUR "new spa" the dealer OR manufacture said, "the warranty will be VOID if YOU perform any work on the spa beyond changing the filters" and had to let "some monkey" come out in 3-5 business days 8am-5pm M-F to "look at" your spa?

I like and WANT the chance to keep my spa up & running and not have to rely on when the tech can get to me, especially if its a quick, dump fix and if it goes beyond MY ability then I have the option to have a tech make the repair. How many times have "repair calls" where the spa is down, turned out to be "something stupid"? (lose: union, wire, breaker tripped)

I really would like some of the owners of Tatum manufactured (not HYDRO) spas reply to how the service, reliability and energency efficiency of the 2006 Gulf Coast Spa is doing.

Just BY-THE-BY SPATEC, did you attend the 2006 spa convention in Las Vegas??

If so then you can confirm that Tatum/Gulf Coast won awards for inovation and newest design features to the industry.

I'm sure thats why they (GC) sell their spas at 50-60% below "true dealer" spas.

They sell their spas at an appropriate price. While it may be 50% less than a premium spa there is a reason, it isn't a premium spa. That whole deal were they advertise it as a $9k spa for $5k is just marketing, it's really just a $5k spa in the first place. If you're a handy guy this may be the right spa for you GL2U. BTW, I wasn't in Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg,

On the other 'Adding Insulation' post on this forum, I found someoen who added a product called Roxul AFB batt insulation to thier cabinet and had pretty good results. What makes this product different then standard fibergalss is that it is a Mineral Wool product that is Water, Moisture and Fire resistant. I'm ordering a couple of bags today of 3" thick (about R-15 value) and adding hopefully this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.