Heating Problem

I purchased a 01 Arctic Spa Yukon Elite and finally got the electrical hooked up and filled her up with water. Everything came on like it was supposed to. Turned the temp to 102 and left it to heat overnight. The temp of the water was 42 when I left it and had only heated up to 49 the next morning. Left it to run all day and only at 52 when I got home from work. The heater light on the panel is on and the water is moving through the heater. I felt the outside of the heater and it's not warm. Should it be? I had a friend who knows something about electrical come over and he checked the voltage coming out of the power pack and said there is power going to the heater. He thought it might be the thermostat not letting the heater turn on so he unhooked one of the blade terminals on the top of the thermo and we turned it back on to heat. Nothing changed except for an FLO error showing up on the panel. He thinks it's either a bad heater or a relay? Any ideas? Kingdog

Not sure what you have, but I think it's an M7 flo-thru type heater. You can replace the heating element fairly cheap (and easy). If that doesn't work, you won't be out much and you'll know it's not the heater itself. The outside of the heater probably will not be very warm, btw.

probably a bad heater, if you really do have proper power to the heater. your friend most likely disconnected the pressure switch, which is why you had flo error. the device on the heater tube with the 18-22 gauge black and red wires with female blade connectors connected to it is the pressure/flow switch, that tells the spa there is proper water flow through the heater tube to allow the spa to energize the heater. typically heat light on, proper voltage and no heat= bad heater. you can also test the resistance of the element, should be around 12 ohms.You must turn power off and disconnect the heater from the board to test this.

Ok I've got this narrowed down now. I took the heater plug out of the control box and noticed some definite scarring on a couple of the poles. Took the cover off the circuit board and bingo! A bunch of black soot in the corner of the board where the heater relay is located. Pulled the relay off and it is definitely fried as it smelt burnt and was a little melted. Now can I replace the relay? It's a gecko board number 9911-500132 rev:B. It looks like it might have been soldered on. Also is this just a waste of time as the board is probably fried too? The funny thing is though that everything else connected to it works fine. Lights, Pump, Panel are all working fine. Thanks for your help guys. Sheldon

Ok I've got this narrowed down now. I took the heater plug out of the control box and noticed some definite scarring on a couple of the poles. Took the cover off the circuit board and bingo! A bunch of black soot in the corner of the board where the heater relay is located. Pulled the relay off and it is definitely fried as it smelt burnt and was a little melted. Now can I replace the relay? It's a gecko board number 9911-500132 rev:B. It looks like it might have been soldered on. Also is this just a waste of time as the board is probably fried too? The funny thing is though that everything else connected to it works fine. Lights, Pump, Panel are all working fine. Thanks for your help guys. Sheldon

i have worked on GECKO stuff before on coast flaws stuff burnt boards are common on those things just jet a new board don't mess with it you may end up chasing problems for day's good luck

i have worked on GECKO stuff before on coast flaws stuff burnt boards are common on those things just jet a new board don't mess with it you may end up chasing problems for day's good luck

I'm going to try changing the heater relay. If that doesn't work I guess it will be a new board.

Changed the circuit board and left the tub to heat last night. Woke up this morning and it's at 102! Can't wait to finally use the tub. Now I have to figure out all this chemical stuff hahaha. By the way wanted to mention that if you have any trouble with your Arctic Spa hottub give James Keirstad a PM. The guy is awesome! He helped me all through trying to figure out what was wrong with my tub and never told me I should just buy a new tub like some guys say. James you have made me a fan of Arctic Spa thanks again for all your help. He's definitely one of the good guy's. Now why am I on here typing when I should be in my spa! Sheldon