Tackling An Inground Pool Problem

Background on my situation: Our inground pool is about 15,000 gallons by best amateur calculations. It has an odd shape. The filter is Sta-Rite System:3 DE S8D110. About 12 years ago before we got married, my wife called a repairman to check the chlorinator. Apparently it had a very nice chlorinator that used balls of salt. I don't know what kind it was, but it was about the size and shape of a basketball. She said that she thought it had cost about $1,000. Anyway, the repairman removed the chlorinator and sold her a little standpipe chlorine tablet thing which doesn't seem particularly good. Over the years, I cleaned the filter, so I know what is inside. We also have a robotic sweep that runs off a branch of the main water pipe through a hole in the side of the pool.

A couple of years ago we hired someone to come every week and do regular maintenance. They didn't do a particularly good job and I finally managed to get rid of them. (I wanted to get rid of them early on, but they had been recommended by a friend of hers so I couldn't.) Well this spring I went to clean the filter and I was stunned. None of the filter blades had DE on them, but instead the DE had caked up near the manifold and was the consistency of clay. Also, the air tube with its metal filter was completely missing. The filter blades themselves had many rips including some as long as one inch.

So now I think I need to do this: Find someone reputable to install equipment and work on this pool. I expect to buy a good chlorinator. I'll probably have to buy a new filter but am wondering if I can't just replace the internal filter assembly (manifold and all). My wife thinks that because the filter is so old (18 years) that it is not cost effective to replace only the internal filter because the outside would probably develop cracks anyway in a couple of years. I am also thinking about buying a new two speed pump to save electricity. There are several trees in my yard and the pool gets a lot of debris.

I have been doing research online in preparation for calling someone. But this time I want to be educated first so we don't get burned again. I would appreciate any advice or comments.

Thanks

So now I think I need to do this: Find someone reputable to install equipment and work on this pool. I expect to buy a good chlorinator. I'll probably have to buy a new filter but am wondering if I can't just replace the internal filter assembly (manifold and all). My wife thinks that because the filter is so old (18 years) that it is not cost effective to replace only the internal filter because the outside would probably develop cracks anyway in a couple of years. I am also thinking about buying a new two speed pump to save electricity. There are several trees in my yard and the pool gets a lot of debris.

I have been doing research online in preparation for calling someone. But this time I want to be educated first so we don't get burned again. I would appreciate any advice or comments.

I don't know too much about DE filters but if I had a trashed filter that was 18 years old I would replace the entire unit. If you elect to do this you can choose cartridge, sand -- or stay with DE. Nearly everyone believes their filter is best so I wouldn't presume to tell you which to buy. I've been quite satistied with the (somewhat oversized) 425 sq ft cartridge filter I have. If your pool cleaner is run and the skimmer/pump baskets are emptied regularly cartridge filters are the most convenient. Mine is due for its annual cleaning (hosing off) but it has never accumulated debris to the point of increasing the pressure so, theoretically, I could probably let it go two seasons. Two speed pumps are now required in California and I wish I had one. Save quite a bit on electricity costs by running them longer at a lower speed/flow rate.

I don't know too much about DE filters but if I had a trashed filter that was 18 years old I would replace the entire unit. If you elect to do this you can choose cartridge, sand -- or stay with DE. Nearly everyone believes their filter is best so I wouldn't presume to tell you which to buy. I've been quite satistied with the (somewhat oversized) 425 sq ft cartridge filter I have. If your pool cleaner is run and the skimmer/pump baskets are emptied regularly cartridge filters are the most convenient. Mine is due for its annual cleaning (hosing off) but it has never accumulated debris to the point of increasing the pressure so, theoretically, I could probably let it go two seasons. Two speed pumps are now required in California and I wish I had one. Save quite a bit on electricity costs by running them longer at a lower speed/flow rate.

Thank you for the comment. I contacted a pool professional based on a recommendation from one of his customers. I talked with him on the phone and he is going to take a look. He is also recommending a cartridge filter. Thanks again.

Keep the filter. The system 3 tank you have is still in use today. Just get new grids, you may not need to replace the manifold though, inspect it for cracks, breaks. And make sure the internal air bleed is complete. This will save you money (that you're going to need to buy that variable speed pump). B)

If you use a backwash valve, you may want to give that a service too. O ring kit.