Liquid Chlorine From Pool Store Vs Clorix Bleach?

I know that the pool supply store near me sells chlorine in the jugs that come in these yellow containers that hold I think 2 or 4 jugs per plastic container. I figure that chlorine must be like 10 or 15%, but I dont know what it costs. I have bought Clorox unscented bleach before and off-brand bleach from the grocery store (6%) and its cheap. So bang for the buck though do you usually get more from buying the stuff from the pool store or just buying cheap bleach at the grocery store? I dont know what each place charges, just curious what everyones experiences have been?

I know that the pool supply store near me sells chlorine in the jugs that come in these yellow containers that hold I think 2 or 4 jugs per plastic container. I figure that chlorine must be like 10 or 15%, but I dont know what it costs. I have bought Clorox unscented bleach before and off-brand bleach from the grocery store (6%) and its cheap. So bang for the buck though do you usually get more from buying the stuff from the pool store or just buying cheap bleach at the grocery store? I dont know what each place charges, just curious what everyones experiences have been?

The more concentrated chlorine is much more sensitive to storage conditions than 6% bleach. I had a jug of 12% that probably lost half of its effectiveness from just a few months stored in my (hot) garage. If you're using liquid chlorine as the sole or primary sanitizing source for your pool, you may be able to save some money by buying larger sizes of highly concentrated chlorine. Find out what those 2-4 jug containers cost and do the math. Because I have a SWG cell and really only require liquid chlorine in the winter I've found it just makes more sense for me to buy a few jugs of 6% at the grocery store and then store them in the laundry room.

In my area, I get 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store for $3.00 per gallon (before tax) which works out to be equivalent to $1.11 for a 96-ounce (3/4 gallon) jug of 6% bleach (which is technically 6.17% Trade so the same units as the chlorinating liquid which is technically 12.5% Trade). Bleach is generally more expensive than that unless one goes to Costco or Walmart when there's a sale.

I also use my pool store for chlorine because they reuse the bottles which is better than recycling the gallon plastic jugs. Every area is different, however.

In my area, I get 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store for $3.00 per gallon (before tax) which works out to be equivalent to $1.11 for a 96-ounce (3/4 gallon) jug of 6% bleach (which is technically 6.17% Trade so the same units as the chlorinating liquid which is technically 12.5% Trade). Bleach is generally more expensive than that unless one goes to Costco or Walmart when there's a sale.

I also use my pool store for chlorine because they reuse the bottles which is better than recycling the gallon plastic jugs. Every area is different, however.

Both good responses, thank you.

chem geek, when you give your input, i treat it as gospel. I just paid $6 for 2 1 gallon jugs of bleach at my local Ralph's (grocery). I will check with my local pool store and if they are even remotely priced well, I will go through them as yes, I know they recycle the jugs as I saw someone bringing them back in. Thanks.