Where's My Bromine?

New tub (3 months) with ozonator, using bromine tablets in floating dispenser. I have to work a little on the pH but with some acid it seems to behave fine and brings the TA down to acceptable range. I just changed the water for the first time.

Two problems - 1. Not getting that crystal clear look, just a little bit cloudy/murky. Acceptable but I really like it when it is completely clear. -2. I can never get a bromine residual to show on my test strips or my HTH test kit. I opened all the holes on the dispenser but no change. Poured out of the dispenser right onto the strip and yes it changes color then but it seems to be getting consumed in the water.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks, DAve

New tub (3 months) with ozonator, using bromine tablets in floating dispenser. I have to work a little on the pH but with some acid it seems to behave fine and brings the TA down to acceptable range. I just changed the water for the first time.

Two problems - 1. Not getting that crystal clear look, just a little bit cloudy/murky. Acceptable but I really like it when it is completely clear. -2. I can never get a bromine residual to show on my test strips or my HTH test kit. I opened all the holes on the dispenser but no change. Poured out of the dispenser right onto the strip and yes it changes color then but it seems to be getting consumed in the water.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks, DAve

Have you added loading dose of sodium bromide? Do you shock weekly?

Have you added loading dose of sodium bromide? Do you shock weekly?

No, I never did. I was just reading about that here. Looks like I have a lot of my questions answered in that thread. Then my searching led to this link about the dangers of bromide compunds. Whew, maybe I need to be using chlorine!! Makes me wonder about steeping in a chemical stew. I have been shocking weekly with Potassium Monopersulfate.

Then my searching led to this link about the dangers of bromide compunds. Whew, maybe I need to be using chlorine!! Makes me wonder about steeping in a chemical stew. I have been shocking weekly with Potassium Monopersulfate.

Well, be careful about what you read. Most of the scare stuff on that page is from dietary or serious environmental exposure. The citation regarding cherry angiomas possibly due to bromide exposure is speculative ("We suggest that the association between exposure to bromides and cherry angiomas should be investigated by a controlled study." i.e., there is no study identifying any such association) and cherry angiomas are hardly worrisome (Wikipedia, assuming you trust it, says "They are harmless, except in very rare cases").

And if you are using bromine, you should shock with bleach rather than MPS, as the bleach will reactivate the banked bromine.

--paulr

Then my searching led to this link about the dangers of bromide compunds. Whew, maybe I need to be using chlorine!! Makes me wonder about steeping in a chemical stew. I have been shocking weekly with Potassium Monopersulfate.

Well, be careful about what you read. Most of the scare stuff on that page is from dietary or serious environmental exposure. The citation regarding cherry angiomas possibly due to bromide exposure is speculative ("We suggest that the association between exposure to bromides and cherry angiomas should be investigated by a controlled study." i.e., there is no study identifying any such association) and cherry angiomas are hardly worrisome (Wikipedia, assuming you trust it, says "They are harmless, except in very rare cases").

And if you are using bromine, you should shock with bleach rather than MPS, as the bleach will reactivate the banked bromine.

--paulr

What is the normal shock amount for bleach? Is this normal to shock with bleach when using Bromine? I've always used MPS and always had great success. Thanks. SJ

Post #3 above mentioned this link which says you can use either chlorine or MPS. Bleach is cheap and more easily available than MPS, but either will work (sorry I said the MPS wouldn't work in the earlier post, that was a mistake on my part). See the link for details.

--paulr

So if you are using bromine you should shock with Bleach because bleach has chlorine in it right? Generally what is a good amount to start at when using bleach to shock your tub? Clorox bleach is the one to use right? And this is all compatible with Ozone I am assuming.

You can shock with either bleach or MPS (and it doesn't have to be the same one every time). Clorox is a very reliable brand; you want unscented regular or ultra. The link mentioned above says the amount of bleach to use depends on the % sodium hypochlorite, which should be on the label. If it's 5.25%, use about 1 cup per 250-300 gallons; if it's 6% use 3/4 cup per 250-300 gallons. And all totally compatible with ozone.

--paulr