No Matter Where You Buy Do It Right!

Chad M

Heck, whose going to do a better job, the homeowner who is going to live there or some clown you don't know, who hung out a shingle? If you have the skills, it is better to do it yourself, that way you know it's done right!

Dave

Or pay for a reputable contractor to do the job. Unfortunately there are some rogues out there who will do an untidy and non complying job, these people give the rest of us a bad name. I have also come across some dangerous DIY electrical work, but I have also come across some good DIY work.

The company I work for is not the cheapest, but we do a neat and tidy job and work to the regs. our apprentices are taught to work this way, also we are sent on any new training which is relevant to our job.

So there are skilled people out there who will do the job correctly, we are not all clowns, well not at work anyway :)

Unfortunately, the video that started this thread is about licensed, certified electricians who failed to do things properly. I think this video does more to expose "professionals" who are cheating and being lazy than it does about DIY installs.

Unfortunately, I too have seen and heard of some pretty scary/shady electrical installs. That's why I've got a couple electricians I recommend to our customers exclusively. They do the job well, and always do it right. I can rely on them, and don't have to re-explain things to them because they wire spas for us all the time. My delivery team likes them, and my customers like them. So I keep sending them business.

What scares me is when a customer says, "My buddy can wire it... he's an electrician."

I did the gas in my house and had it inspected. Heck, whose going to do a better job, the homeowner who is going to live there or some clown you don't know, who hung out a shingle? If you have the skills, it is better to do it yourself, that way you know it's done right!

Dave

If you know what you're doing and you get an inspection, I agree with the general theory. I am not a licensed electrician and I do my electrical, including service panel upgrade, home remodels and spa. Then again I also have the code and have read it.

But when you read posts that ask "what kind of wire do I use" then it's clear they haven't read the code, haven't got any background in this, and maybe they shouldn't try it. It is not quantum physics to wire a spa, but there is more to doing the job than dressing the wires neatly and getting it to work. One simple misconnection can defeat the safety ground system and they will never know it. Until a fault occurs. It happens.

But if one truly knows what they are doing, it should be fine. In any case, IMO the DIYer should get a permit & inspection.

Unfortunately, the video that started this thread is about licensed, certified electricians who failed to do things properly. I think this video does more to expose "professionals" who are cheating and being lazy than it does about DIY installs.

Unfortunately, I too have seen and heard of some pretty scary/shady electrical installs. That's why I've got a couple electricians I recommend to our customers exclusively. They do the job well, and always do it right. I can rely on them, and don't have to re-explain things to them because they wire spas for us all the time. My delivery team likes them, and my customers like them. So I keep sending them business.

What scares me is when a customer says, "My buddy can wire it... he's an electrician."

JerimiahR is right, I've had more than my fair share of calls saying that I had my electrician do it (who apparently has never wired a spa) and it' not even remotely right or the right gauge wire. In fact someone I had call in a month or more ago asked why it kept tripping the breaker. After some conversations (that could have easily been avoided) the wrong gauge wire was used. I never heard back from them...problem solved. Again, that's why I've said use someone who's done it before, not just the cheapest way to get the job done.................

Thanks,

Chad