How Often Do You Test Your Water & Other Newbie ?'s

Dank2010

Newbie questions here.....

How often do you test your hot tub water?

Is there any type of requirement to test to maintain your warranty?

I have a patio that is constructed from a base of gravel / sand / flat cement patio stoves. The stones are 1 1/2 inches thick on top of 6+ inches of gravel. The patio has not moved in years. Is this sufficient to hold the weight of a hot tub?

We've wet tested and have narrowed our search down to the Hot Spring Envoy & Vista. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for any answers.

I have a patio that is constructed from a base of gravel / sand / flat cement patio stoves. The stones are 1 1/2 inches thick on top of 6+ inches of gravel. The patio has not moved in years. Is this sufficient to hold the weight of a hot tub?

We've wet tested and have narrowed our search down to the Hot Spring Envoy & Vista. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for any answers.

The testing is going to depend on what chemical program you choose. If you use Silk Balance you need virtually no testing. If you go with the ACE system once a month once it is dialed in. Most other systems want you to test weekly.

There can be some warranty issues if pH is off. Read the warranty. It is on line on www.hotspring.com

Your patio sounds like it is fine. Pre-Delivery instructions are also on the Hot Spring site. Your dealer should be able to provide both documents. If you have the brochure you should have the warranty.

Hope this helps.

Dank2010,

Best to check with your spa manufacturer first and also with the business that you purchase your chemicals from, they can actually provide the best information. First, because the manufacturer may have certain requirements/ equipment in the spa/ and requests from their customers to be maintained, and second the chemical package you choose may have it's own requirements as well. There are many, many, many packages available and to a new spa owner it can be a daunting task. With the proper information and some good old practice you can make it work easy! As always if you are really having a hard time there are some SUPER qualified technicians in your area that will be more than happy to give you the proper knowledge!

Thanks,

Chad

Check out the water chemistry side of the forum. I'm still a newb myself. However, with the dichlor then bleach method I'm now testing about once a week or a even less. I completely failed on my first two fills, now I'm approaching month three with nearly perfect water. Everyone will talk about how easy it is, and they are right, but it does take a little bit of practice. This coming from a guy who uses strips vs a test kit. You'll get there eventually, just know, that no matter how much you read on the water chemistry side, nothing can replace your own personal experience. Just way too many variables in each tub.

DK117

I also use the Dichlor/bleach method. I started using test strips, but now use a Taylor 2006 test kit. I test once a week. I still have test strips, I compared the strips with the Taylor kit, the readings were the same. I am over 6 months on my last fill and all my numbers are on target, except calcium(low), but doesn't matter with a plastic spa. I have very soft water.

Dave

Right now I have 1 customer who call me to test and adjust there water. I used to have 2 but after a few visits by me, watching and learning he now does it himself. Testing needs to be done as often as your water needs it. Could be once a week or it could be once a month. It depends on how your water reacts to the sanitizer you choose, how it comes out of the tap and bather load. You will find all this out in a few months of ownership. I would bet the other one will be doing it herself after another visit or so.

I think your base sounds good.

First of all..... Thanks to all for your responses.

I probably should have worded my question on testing a little differently so that it is more easily understood.

One dealer that I stopped at said that in order to maintain the warranty on the Hot Spring Vista tub that I intend on purchasing, I need to bring them a water sample once a month for testing. I fully intend on testing it and keeping everything at the proper level. I just can't see where it is necessary that I'd have to make a round trip to the dealer once a month for them to test. Is this a normal requirement or are they just trying to sell chemicals from their store?

First of all..... Thanks to all for your responses.

I probably should have worded my question on testing a little differently so that it is more easily understood.

One dealer that I stopped at said that in order to maintain the warranty on the Hot Spring Vista tub that I intend on purchasing, I need to bring them a water sample once a month for testing. I fully intend on testing it and keeping everything at the proper level. I just can't see where it is necessary that I'd have to make a round trip to the dealer once a month for them to test. Is this a normal requirement or are they just trying to sell chemicals from their store?

They are actually offering you added service. I presume the water test they are offering is free. Sure they want to sell you chems. I would not consider it a requirement. Just a dealer thing.

They are actually offering you added service. I presume the water test they are offering is free. Sure they want to sell you chems. I would not consider it a requirement. Just a dealer thing.

I stopped there again today and talked to a different sales person and you're exactly right. The person that I talked to the first time was new and thought that the warranty would be void if we did not bring water samples to them for testing. They do offer it as a service and yes, it is free.

Long story short, we ordered our new Hot Spring - Vista today. :D