New Sundance Hawthorne, Not Sure Of Capacity

cpuKEN

Had our new tub about two weeks and been trying to get a handle on the water setup but I'm finding two different values for the water capacity for this tub. One place says 400 gal the other says 545??

This is enough difference to affect my chemical usage.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Ken

Had our new tub about two weeks and been trying to get a handle on the water setup but I'm finding two different values for the water capacity for this tub. One place says 400 gal the other says 545??

Any thoughts?

thanks

Ken

One could be the maximum capacity if filled until it overflows...the other could be a standard usage capacity where it is filled to the recommended "full" position.

If you really need to know and can't figure it out I would just call the manufacturer.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Ken

All the literature I've read says 540 gallon, however as far as chemical usage goes I work on 500 gallons for my Hawthorne - so far, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts?

thanks

Ken

All the literature I've read says 540 gallon, however as far as chemical usage goes I work on 500 gallons for my Hawthorne - so far, so good.

Sundance has apparently change the sizes between the 2009 and 2010 models. I am looking into a 2009 Hamilton and the 2009 model is 550 gallons and the new 2010 model is 415 gallons. the reason is that the 2009 model is 7'8"X7'8" and the 2010 model is smaller @ 7'4"X7'4". So going the the website is misleading to me because it shows the 2010 sizes.

I downloaded the 2009 and 2010 manuals for the Hawthorne and here is the info it had.

2009 Manual: Hawthorne...........400 US Gallons http://www.sundancespas.com/Communications...A_680_OM_EN.pdf

2010 Manual: Hawthorne...........545 US Gallons http://www.sundancespas.com/Communications...80_NA_OM_EN.pdf

So I bet the 2010 model went from 7'4"X7'4" to 7'8"X7'8" just like the Hamilton went down.

(Why the 780 went smaller and the 680 went larger confuses me but oh well)

So depending on what year Hawthorne you have could determine the size/amount.

Sundance has apparently change the sizes between the 2009 and 2010 models.

[...]

Nice sleuthing! :rolleyes:

That's a 36% increase in volume in the case of the Hawthorne. A 25% decrease for the Hamiltion, from 2009 to 2010. A little thing like this could really mess with someone's assumptions when testing and treating the water!

[...]

That's a 36% increase in volume in the case of the Hawthorne. A 25% decrease for the Hamiltion, from 2009 to 2010. A little thing like this could really mess with someone's assumptions when testing and treating the water!

Are hot tubs like cars, where the 2010 model is available for sale in the fall of 2009?

I stopped by my dealer and he had no idea about the changes mentioned above and really didn't know which

capacity my tub was!! He is in denial about anything related to the internet. Nice guy but no help with this matter.

Inside the filter compartment is a date of 10-29-2009. I assume that is the manufacture date so it still comes

back to is it a 2010 or a 2009 model.

I guess the physical dimensions also changed and I'll measure that and see if that gives me my final answer.

Ken

[...]

Are hot tubs like cars, where the 2010 model is available for sale in the fall of 2009?

I stopped by my dealer and he had no idea about the changes mentioned above and really didn't know which

capacity my tub was!! He is in denial about anything related to the internet. Nice guy but no help with this matter.

Inside the filter compartment is a date of 10-29-2009. I assume that is the manufacture date so it still comes

I guess the physical dimensions also changed and I'll measure that and see if that gives me my final answer.

Ken

My 2009 Hamilton shows a build date in December (If I remember correctly when I saw it)

So at a guess I would assume you have a 2009 model.

Somewhat scary that the dealer did not know of the change.

But if yours is 88 inches then I would assume 2009 and if 92 inches assume 2010.

Also, if you have your manual, the gallons is in there. Those PDF links I had posted earlier are the manuals so the manual you received with the tub should tell you the gallons.

Your dealer WILL have a number he can call. Your a client he should use it! Lets make the dealers give service.

[...]

Ken

[...]

Ken

I sent an email to Sundance and after 2 days they replied.

Here's their reply:

=============================================

It is 545 US gallons. That is the correct water capacity. Thank you for

contacting consumer services.

so 545 it is. I assume that makes it a 2010 model with a 10-29-2009 manufacturer date.

Ken

[...]

Ken

I sent an email to Sundance and after 2 days they replied.

Here's their reply:

It is 545 US gallons. That is the correct water capacity. Thank you for

contacting consumer services.

so 545 it is. I assume that makes it a 2010 model with a 10-29-2009 manufacturer date.

Ken

Heh took them 2 days to email me back when I asked about getting spec sheets of my 2009 model.

Well now you can better calculate your chemicals. That is kinda important :)