How Much Electricity Does A Spa Use ?

CyberSpa

Hello !

I'm a total newbie to spas and I've just started my search :) .

One thing that's very important to me is what the spa is going to consume. Can anybody give me some info on this ? I live in Belgium where temperatures range from -5C to +25C. Most dealers say its around 1€/day (using the spa 3x30min a week).

I'm considering a Caldera spa (Martinique / Tahitian) because of the price / quality (they range from 6000€ to 9000€ here). HotSprings start from 14000€ here, which is waaaaay over my budget. The HotSpring dealer told me that his spas are the ONLY one which really consume 1€/day. And that all others range from 2€ to even 6€/day. So if a cheaper spa is really 6€/day, that would total ruin me :-/.

Brand spa are hard to find in belgium. Must spa dealers have their own "homebrand". So doing research on these is one is impossible.

For those living in the Benelux, any good dealer tips ?

(1 € = $1.4 / 1kwh = 0,075€)

Thanks for the help !

Hello !

One thing that's very important to me is what the spa is going to consume. Can anybody give me some info on this ? I live in Belgium where temperatures range from -5C to +25C. Most dealers say its around 1€/day (using the spa 3x30min a week).

I'm considering a Caldera spa (Martinique / Tahitian) because of the price / quality (they range from 6000€ to 9000€ here). HotSprings start from 14000€ here, which is waaaaay over my budget. The HotSpring dealer told me that his spas are the ONLY one which really consume 1€/day. And that all others range from 2€ to even 6€/day. So if a cheaper spa is really 6€/day, that would total ruin me :-/.

Brand spa are hard to find in belgium. Must spa dealers have their own "homebrand". So doing research on these is one is impossible.

For those living in the Benelux, any good dealer tips ?

(1 € = $1.4 / 1kwh = 0,075€)

Thanks for the help !

Hi Cyberspa,

i am not sure where you are in Belgium but there is an Arctic Spas dealer in Melen, Belgium. Is this within reasonable travelling distance? Arctic Spas are a leading manufacturer of hot tubs and all their tubs are made in Alberta, Canada and they are designed to work efficiently in extremely cold climates. You can follow the link below to view the dealers website:

http://www.acquae.be/index.php?option=com_...5&Itemid=60

Hope this helps.

ps the Hotsprings dealer is stretching the truth shall we say! There are other well insulated tubs out there that cost 1 euro or less to run a day (Arctic Spas for instance) although some poor quality tubs will indeed cost lots more to run.

This important element is whether you will purchase a tub that runs on 110 volts or 220 volts. There is a lot of controversy about which voltage is better or which offers a superior hot tub experience.

There shouldn't be controversy because there is no noticeable difference in cost to operate a spa running 220v vs 110v. Some spas can operate both ways and the bill to run them will be pretty much the same for all intents and purposes if run at the same temperature set point. For instance, the 220v version may have a 6 KW heater and while the 110V version may only have a 1.5kw version. They both would need to input the same amount of energy into the water to heat it up. The 110v version would take 4 times as long to heat up when filled but it would be using 1/4 the amount of power to get there so its a wash in the end. There are some things like power losses and pump run time (if the spa doesn't have a circ pump) that makes the 220V theoretically a little cheaper but its pretty minor.

For various reasons you should always want to go with 220V version but cost of operation isn't one of them so if there is a mitigating factor making it difficult to go 220v you can go 110v without worrying that you're burning a bunch of extra fossil fuel to get there.

Hello !

Thanks for the help !

Here's a specific answer = It depends.

- how often you open the spa

- how high do you heat it to

- how much water are you trying to heat?

- how well-insulated the tub, and cover are

- what is the outside temperature?

- other accessories consume electricity - will you get them and more important, use them?

- how efficient is the filtering and heating system ***

*** and every dealer will say "Pick me, I'm the best!"

i would agree with both spatech and north of boston, there are several brands out there that are energy efficient, some notable brands. D1, Hot Springs, Sundance, Marquis, Caldera, just to name a few. but i would not buy into the Hot Springs verbage. Also alot of the costs will depend on the use, if you use it everday you need to expect to pay more. But if you get the enjoyment of the use of the spa that should outway the cost of operation... if i recall Caldera is part of Watkins manf. just like Hot Springs... to say that the Hot Springs are the only one to be so cheap on heating, he must have experience with selling the 150 plus brands of spas out there....thats pretty good... i recommend doing some checking on other local spa dealers, and listen to there pitch, and as you go you can figure who boots are taller.......