Another Guy Looking For Advice

JimKW

We owned a Hot Springs hot tub about 15 years ago when we lived in Colorado. I liked it ok, but to be honest never really cared to the Motto Massage. I wanted jets that would hit me more up around the neck and lower in the back.

We now live in the Columbus, OH area and my wife and I went down to Hocking Hills last weekend and rented a cabin with a hot tub. Since all the kids are out of the house and married and we now have Grandchildren, we are thinking about buying another hot tub. New ones are just so darn expensive that we are thinking a used one is a much better deal, if you find the right one of course. I am a guy that never buys a new car, so I know there are risks with buying used.

In the area I have found a few tubs that I am considering. We have not wet tested any yet, but will before purchasing. The list I have found is as follows:

2003 Sundance Cayman for around $3300

2004 Hot Springs Prodigy also around $3300 – Have not seen this one or the next one yet .

2001 Tiger River Sumatran $2500 – About an hours drive away at a Hot Springs Dealer.

???? Catalina XL-4000 around $3300 - Looks to be very good condition and maybe 4-6 six years old

???? Balboa $1800 – Nice layout in good condition, have no idea how old.

???? Image Renew 631 $1800

All but the last one are from Hot Tub Dealers and the last one is from a private individual that works on hot tubs. He has it at his house, and I am not very comfortable changing into a bathing suit and wet testing at his house. Don’t want to find pictures of myself on the internet – haha.

Any opinions on the ones I have listed? Right now I am leaning very heavily towards the Sundance based mostly on what I have read here and on other sites. Since the Catalina, that looks very good also, is the same price, I am thinking the Sundance is the better tub for the same money. Opinions? The Balboa for $1800 from a reputable dealer does look live a very good deal also. The Catalina and Balboa are at the same place.

If I go brand new it looks like I will have to spend over $6,000 to get a nice hot tub.

Any kind of store warranty? This is negotiable and I think you can get them to go maybe 6 months equipment warranty anyway. My first thought if they were new would be the top 3 but there is no manufacturer warranty and condition is everything so the year really means less than the condition. I'd check them all out.

Any kind of store warranty? This is negotiable and I think you can get them to go maybe 6 months equipment warranty anyway. My first thought if they were new would be the top 3 but there is no manufacturer warranty and condition is everything so the year really means less than the condition. I'd check them all out.

The Sundance has 60 days, the Catalina and Balboa has 30. Like I said I have not seen the other two yet and the last one is from a private owner.

The Sundance has 60 days, the Catalina and Balboa has 30. Like I said I have not seen the other two yet and the last one is from a private owner.

I would definitely consider that negotiable. 30 days is next to nothing. In the end I'd personally insist on 90 days or nothing from a dealer cause I know they shouldn't let you walk and if they did I'd keep going because any dealer not confident enough in a used spa to give at least 90 days tells me they either they don't trust the spa enough (maybe didn't check it out fully or maybe they did...) or they're just trying to move it and forget about it.

I would definitely consider that negotiable. 30 days is next to nothing. In the end I'd personally insist on 90 days or nothing from a dealer cause I know they shouldn't let you walk and if they did I'd keep going because any dealer not confident enough in a used spa to give at least 90 days tells me they either they don't trust the spa enough (maybe didn't check it out fully or maybe they did...) or they're just trying to move it and forget about it.

I would have to agree if it doesn't come with at least 90 day, I would just walk on by...!

I went and wet tested the Sundance today and didn't care for the placement of the jets on the lounge. Had two high pressure jets right under my calves that just felt way too strong. When I looked at the newer models they didn't have the jets there or they had about six jets going down the legs so that all the pressure didn't concentrate on one area.

Last night I went and looked at the Hot Springs Prodigy and the Tiger River Sumatran. Could not wet test cause they didn't have water, but I relly think I want the lounge feature and neither one had that.

I guess I just keep looking.

If you are buying used as I was thinking of doing..but did not. I have a moto....Time or Money, If you wish to save Money you MUST have Time. If you wish to save Time you must have Money. YES it can be done but patience is everything. Also once you do pull the trigger come over to the water care area on the board and look up decontamination section to start with as fresh a tub as can be. enjoy the hot water!

I went and wet tested the Sundance today and didn't care for the placement of the jets on the lounge. Had two high pressure jets right under my calves that just felt way too strong. When I looked at the newer models they didn't have the jets there or they had about six jets going down the legs so that all the pressure didn't concentrate on one area.

Last night I went and looked at the Hot Springs Prodigy and the Tiger River Sumatran. Could not wet test cause they didn't have water, but I relly think I want the lounge feature and neither one had that.

I guess I just keep looking.