Spa Enclosures

Theojt

Hi,

I am looking into a full enclosed building to put our (to be ordered) spa in and I'm looking for some input from those with experience (ideally owners of such buildings).

Are they worth it? We imagine getting a little more winter use by having a small social area around the tub. Also hope to reduce people walking across our hardwood flooring in the house by providing a changing area near the tub.

Any considerations we should be aware of? The downsides could be moisture/freezing on the inside of the enclosure, or perhaps water freezing on the concrete floor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hi,

We recently added an enclosure last summer that was built outdoors over a concrete floor that is attached to the house. We do have to walk outside about 6 paces to get to the first of two doors that comprise the unit.

The enclosure was initially an aluminum awning that had aluminum supports and a drainage system already built into it. The top of this awning was built with a material that would allow natural light to seep into the area. I was told that the awning structure could hold the body weight of a man who is 200 lbs.

We added a wooden frame to the existing aluminum supports, and used plywood and an exterior finishing board found at Home Depot (can't remember the commercial name for it). We stuffed the interior walls with insulation and then finished the interior walls with wet board. We put in 6 windows, and the top of top venting allows for fresh air.

With that said, we do have condensation on the interior roof that tends to drip down after extended usage. I have been meaning to get s swiffer to deal with that issue. I have a thermometer in the room and I haven't witnessed the temperature drop below freezing. The inside temp is usually 10 degrees warmer before you open the cover and then it will increase another 15+ degrees. I usually run the spa @ 102. I have not noticed any freezing of the floor area.

Good luck.

Tony

Hi,

I am looking into a full enclosed building to put our (to be ordered) spa in and I'm looking for some input from those with experience (ideally owners of such buildings).

Are they worth it? We imagine getting a little more winter use by having a small social area around the tub. Also hope to reduce people walking across our hardwood flooring in the house by providing a changing area near the tub.

Any considerations we should be aware of? The downsides could be moisture/freezing on the inside of the enclosure, or perhaps water freezing on the concrete floor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

have you considered a Covana

www.sterlingcovana.com

I did see the Covana - cool idea. I worry though (maybe needlessly) about the kids playing with it and lowering it when someone is in the tub. Maybe that could be resolved with a keyed switch.

Thanks

Jeff

i love it when it rains and my wife can now use the tub when ever she likes, old cover was too heavy and a real pain.

How much was one of those things installed? That is a really cool idea, I've never heard of it before, but that is an awesome idea - I could even install it despite my HOA's ridiculous "No Permanent Buildings" rule too!

Anyone else question the validity of this poster now? No water added, at ALL???? If you use the spa,and I assume you'd have to raise the cover to do so, evaporation is inevitable., and even without a swimsuit, you'll take about 1/2 gallon of water out of the spa each time you get out.

Cost me $4995 installed with two shades. The r value is real also, we noticed a big difference this winter and never added water once.

Anyone else question the validity of this poster now? No water added, at ALL???? If you use the spa,and I assume you'd have to raise the cover to do so, evaporation is inevitable., and even without a swimsuit, you'll take about 1/2 gallon of water out of the spa each time you get out.

Cost me $4995 installed with two shades. The r value is real also, we noticed a big difference this winter and never added water once.

Now Now Dr. is it possible your making the dangerous assumption that the spa was even used???? :rolleyes:

Im just sayin' you may be on to the fact that there is a saleperson in our midst!

Now Now Dr. is it possible your making the dangerous assumption that the spa was even used???? :rolleyes:

Point taken :blink: I seem to be dealing with so much spam on the dozen or so message boards I moderate lately, perhaps I'm a little over suspicious.