Low Bromine - And I'm Not Sure Why

E. Olson

Total noob here.

I've been maintaining my hot tub since its last refill a month and a half ago. I've kept all my levels in the right place, making a few adjustments along the way. Over the weekend I noticed that my bromine levels were dropping, and so I added a couple more tabs to the feeder (they were nearly depleted). But, the next day they'd dropped to 1 ppm, and today it's at 0 ppm.

I'm not sure if I should have, but I tossed in a packet of sodium bromide yesterday with the hopes of kick-starting it, but that obviously didn't work. Oh, and I shocked it Saturday night as well.

So what am I doing wrong?

Total noob here.

I've been maintaining my hot tub since its last refill a month and a half ago. I've kept all my levels in the right place, making a few adjustments along the way. Over the weekend I noticed that my bromine levels were dropping, and so I added a couple more tabs to the feeder (they were nearly depleted). But, the next day they'd dropped to 1 ppm, and today it's at 0 ppm.

I'm not sure if I should have, but I tossed in a packet of sodium bromide yesterday with the hopes of kick-starting it, but that obviously didn't work. Oh, and I shocked it Saturday night as well.

So what am I doing wrong?

You probably have a buildup of biofilm in the plumbing. I recently had the same problem and used "Spa Flush" for 30 mins, drained and refilled and the problem was gone. Shocking the spa with huge amounts of bromine won't (I used 100ppm chlorine and it still didn't work) break the biofilm barrier, but the Spa Flush product will be able to break the biofilm and destroy it.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I inherited this hot tub when I bought my house, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is kinda gunky inside.

Yeah, it almost certainly has an infection if it has been sitting without maintenance for any length of time. Here is the product I used with success. Let us know if it works!

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Spastart-Sp...0696&sr=8-5