Do I Have A Leak?

highlt

Hi Guys-

I live in Ohio and had my pool closed in 10/09 by a Pool company. I have a solid cover on the pool and after all this snow I noticed my cover appeared to be much lower than normal and a bit stressed. When the pool was closed, the water line was at half the skimmer level like when it's open. I went out today and looked in the skimmer and I can barely see water at the bottom of the skimmer. I called the pool company and they said it could have evaporated but I'm worried that losing 3-4 inches of water in a 20x48 pool indicates a leak. All the returns are sealed off with stand pipes. The skimmers have gizmos in them with a crushed bottle. If it's leaking I assume it would have to be the main drain? Any thoughts? If there is an issue, would the pool company be liable to repair it? Help much appreciated.

Thanks

My first inclination is to think it's a leak in the shell, and I would treat it as such. Weather here is cool at best in the fall/winter, should'nt get much evap. If the main drain valve is in good shape, then it should be airtight. Let the water find its level, assuming it wont pull the cover in. Note the water level this spring when you open it. If it's right across a light, vinyl seam, or the returns, you know where to look for a leak. Cracks in plaster/concrete at the water line, can also be the problem. Hope it's not a main drain leak for your sake.

Hi Guys-

I live in Ohio and had my pool closed in 10/09 by a Pool company. I have a solid cover on the pool and after all this snow I noticed my cover appeared to be much lower than normal and a bit stressed. When the pool was closed, the water line was at half the skimmer level like when it's open. I went out today and looked in the skimmer and I can barely see water at the bottom of the skimmer. I called the pool company and they said it could have evaporated but I'm worried that losing 3-4 inches of water in a 20x48 pool indicates a leak. All the returns are sealed off with stand pipes. The skimmers have gizmos in them with a crushed bottle. If it's leaking I assume it would have to be the main drain? Any thoughts? If there is an issue, would the pool company be liable to repair it? Help much appreciated.

Thanks

Your pool lost plus or minus, 4" in 4 months, Yes?

Some pools, (granted, its in the summertime), will loose that in 2 weeks from evap. Or 1/4" per day. Your pool is loosing so much less. and if it were at that rate, I think the ground can handle that much at least till spring time where you can get everything opened up and inspect more thoroughly. But if you want my opinion, i don't think you have a problem with that loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Being an ohio pool guy I close and open about 150 pools a year. With the snow and water build up on your pool cover, you are probably experiencing simple displacement. In simple terms. Picture your swimming pool as a bucket of water. If you had a bucket of water and put a smaller bucket of water in the larger bucket and filled it with water. While the smaller bucket is filling it needs rooms to sink causing the larger bucket to over flow. This idea is the same thing with your pool. Given that you have a solid cover (assuming it has no holes) id recommend getting a cover pump with float switch. Little giant makes the best pumps to withstand ohio weather. The less water and snow you have on your cover, the less water you will lose in the off season. Each one of the pools I will open this spring with be anywhere from 3in to 3 feet short on water. Depending on how well I the home ower/myself kept the water off the top of the cover. With the random warm days we get in ohio id recommend putting a water hose under the cover and bringing the water level back up in the pool while pumping water off the top of the cover. The more water you have in your pool, the less stress that will be on your pool cover. I hope this helps!!