1994 Discovery 600esl Leak?

okaussie

I have a 1994 Discovery 600ESL Spa that I bought brand new in 1994. Never really had problems with it til now. Here is the problem.

12-24-09 we had the worst Blizzard and cold weather on record, here in Oklahoma City. My spa is outside and my deck is built around three sides of it. The deck is about 18 inches from the top of the spa. The only side without a deck is the side with the access panel.

Went out one morning after the blizzard and noticed the water level was down about 4 inches and there was air mixing with some but not all of the jets. My spa has only one pump and the air is controlled by four knobs located in each of the four corners on the top of the spa. All of the knobs were closed. The pump was cycling like it had an air bubble in it, just like when you change the water. It has a drain next to the outlet of the pump so I opened it and let some of the water out. Then I filled the spa up to the level I keep it at. The temp dropped to 41 degrees and the pump came on with the heater to heat and circulate it back up to 102 degrees where I keep it. It still sounds like air in the pump so I bled it again. Still had the same problem and still had the air problem in some but not all of the jets. It is not like with the knobs are completely open. Just a small amount of air coming in and not in all of the jets.

Did not use it for 24 hours and checked it again. Same scenario. Filled it with water and bled it. Same problem.

It got real cold here and was not able to get to it again until yesterday. Purchased a quart of Fix A Leak and put in 8oz, filled it up. Checked it in about 6 hours and same water level but had the same air problem.

checked it again this morning it was down about 2 inches and same air problem. Added another 8oz and filled it back up.

I think the air problem and water loss are connected but without any plumbing diagrams, it is going to be real hard to find and fix.

I noticed NO leaks in the access panel area, however I noticed water on the concrete base under the spa.

Was able to remove the panel on the opposite side of access panel side and the panel on the left side of the access panel. I saw water in the bottom and some of the insulation was wet. Everything was dry in the access panel side.

I notice that on alot of these forums Fix A Leak does a real good job, however, I think my problem is more in depth than It can fix.

I have not seen this set of symptoms on any postings and need some help in fixing this.

TIA

Bill

Found problem:

The flexible 1.5inch pvc running from the filter to the input of the pump had a huge 180 degree bend to make it mate up between the two and at the apex of the bend there was a slice due to the stress of the bend.

Replaced the the tubing from the filter to the pump and used 2 45 degree corners to decrease the stress in the bend. A better idea would have been to use 3 45 degree corners. One on each end of the bend and one in the center, so that all the pieces would be straight. Maybe what I did will work for more than the 16 years of the original plan. If it does it again, That is what I am going to do.

Also replaced the slice valve and connector that goes to the pump. Used Orange Glue and sealed it up. Let it set up for 48 hours and filled it. No leaks now after 4 days since filling it.

All seems fine.

This was a poor manufacturer design. They should have used hardline from the filter to the pump. The connections are only about 6 inches apart. Instead they used flexible and had to go 4 feet to get the same job done.

Bill