How To Remove Stuck Diverter Valve Cover?

pkillur

Are there any tricks to removing a stuck diverter valve? I have a 2" or 2.5" waterway diverter valve that is just plain stuck, and the o rings disintegrated out of it. I am trying to get the cover off, but it feels like the stupid thing is glued on. I want to remove the cover and replace the dirverter with the one I just bought but I can't get it off!!! Anyone have any thoughts?

-PKil

Are there any tricks to removing a stuck diverter valve? I have a 2" or 2.5" waterway diverter valve that is just plain stuck, and the o rings disintegrated out of it. I am trying to get the cover off, but it feels like the stupid thing is glued on. I want to remove the cover and replace the dirverter with the one I just bought but I can't get it off!!! Anyone have any thoughts?

-PKil

Big pair on channel lock pliers, water pump pliers. It should unscrew you just need mor leverage

-PKil

Big pair on channel lock pliers, water pump pliers. It should unscrew you just need mor leverage

when you get the cap off, the part that is inside is still going to be stuck. take a pair of pliers and pull it straight up. don't try to turn it coz it won't turn. wiggle it and jiggle it straight up. don't lose the 2 orings that will be on the stem or the big oring that might come off with the cap. make a note which way the internal part is seated in the body coz it has to go in the same way. shingle shake from your shingles and little tiny stones work their way between the adjuster and the body and after awhile it will just lock up. once you get it out if you clean the junk out of the body and the adjuster the old adjuster will probably work again as long as you didn't booger it up too bad. every couple of months it's not a bad idea to take it apart and clean it up so it doesn't happen again. good luck.

-PKil

when you get the cap off, the part that is inside is still going to be stuck. take a pair of pliers and pull it straight up. don't try to turn it coz it won't turn. wiggle it and jiggle it straight up. don't lose the 2 orings that will be on the stem or the big oring that might come off with the cap. make a note which way the internal part is seated in the body coz it has to go in the same way. shingle shake from your shingles and little tiny stones work their way between the adjuster and the body and after awhile it will just lock up. once you get it out if you clean the junk out of the body and the adjuster the old adjuster will probably work again as long as you didn't booger it up too bad. every couple of months it's not a bad idea to take it apart and clean it up so it doesn't happen again. good luck.

OK, so now I get to play the game "Name that diverter!"

I called WindRiver, and they said "Oh yeah, use some channel locks to take it off, you'll scuff the crap out of the caps but we have new ones, they're like 7 bucks." So, I went ahead and took them off, and headed into the shop to get new ones. The barrel looks fine, though a little worn from crap getting stuck in the sides.

New problem - The caps are gimongous, and look nothing like the standard waterway diverters that windriver uses. My father-in-law swears up and down he's never had anyone but windriver work on the tub, but I talked to all of their techs (which is amazing IMO, they've been in business for like 30 years and have only had one dude retire...) who happened to be in for a meeting. One of them pipes up "Hey, I worked on a tub like that - it had weird ass divereters - I ended up buying a sheet of rubber to make my own gasket for it!" Turns out it's my tub that he's talking about when it was at the in-laws' place. However, when I took everything off and tried screwing it back on, and got totally showered by old faithful from both diverters. I made some cheapo washers from some rubber matting I got from the seals place in downtown, but before I put them back in, I'm wondering:

Anyone recognize this brand??? Is it something weird like sundance? It's certainly not waterway. I can certainly try to put it back on, but I'd rather swap it out with a new unit with a new washer / o-ring rather than my ghetto-specials...

Sorry about the background, I took the pictures on sunday during our valentines day party - the one where we were going to use the hot tub. Whoops...

IMG00006-20100215-2113.jpg

IMG00007-20100215-2114.jpg

IMG00008-20100215-2114.jpg

IMG00009-20100215-2114.jpg

IMG00004-20100215-2110.jpg

I found this guy here (http://sundance.spaworkssupply.com/store.php/products/diverter-lid-kit-wcap-knob) but it's 70 bucks, and I just need the top. The weird part is that it says sundance but then it's on a jacuzzi???

OK, I called the site operator, and they said that it's probably a part made by CMT (CNT?) and that they have the replacement valve assy for $25, but they only sell the cap-lid-handle-oring assy (listed in the link above) for $70. The guy is saying there is no part number on the lid/gate/handle unit, but the valve body itself is stamped with part number 51250442 - Does this manufacturer sound familiar to any of you?

I found this guy here (http://sundance.spaworkssupply.com/store.php/products/diverter-lid-kit-wcap-knob) but it's 70 bucks, and I just need the top. The weird part is that it says sundance but then it's on a jacuzzi???

OK, I called the site operator, and they said that it's probably a part made by CMT (CNT?) and that they have the replacement valve assy for $25, but they only sell the cap-lid-handle-oring assy (listed in the link above) for $70. The guy is saying there is no part number on the lid/gate/handle unit, but the valve body itself is stamped with part number 51250442 - Does this manufacturer sound familiar to any of you?

you have a waterways diverter. I look at my distribators there is no seperate parts available.

Here is link to the catalog

http://www.waterwayplastics.com/catalogs/2...0_spavalves.pdf

make sure you look at correct size 1 inch or 2 inch

you have a waterways diverter. I look at my distribators there is no seperate parts available.

I don't think that's it - it's way larger. The cap is like 4 5/8", the threads are at 3 7/8", and the gate is 3 1/4 inch. If you look at the gate, it's just goofy looking compared to a waterway - it's just a huge tube with half of it basically molded out. As well, there are a bunch of molded / punched out on the top, unlike waterway's "wave" diverters. Maybe I'm just not seeing it in the catalog, but I've literally looked for hours (as did the WindRiver parts dude) to try and find it. I'm pretty sure it's the part made for Sundance by CMT. I'm just trying to find someone that sells just the cap and to o-rings for it. You can tell it's a different one because of how the handle looks - unless there is something that I'm not seeing in the PDF.

I don't think that's it - it's way larger. The cap is like 4 5/8", the threads are at 3 7/8", and the gate is 3 1/4 inch. If you look at the gate, it's just goofy looking compared to a waterway - it's just a huge tube with half of it basically molded out. As well, there are a bunch of molded / punched out on the top, unlike waterway's "wave" diverters. Maybe I'm just not seeing it in the catalog, but I've literally looked for hours (as did the WindRiver parts dude) to try and find it. I'm pretty sure it's the part made for Sundance by CMT. I'm just trying to find someone that sells just the cap and to o-rings for it. You can tell it's a different one because of how the handle looks - unless there is something that I'm not seeing in the PDF.

after doing more searching they are CMP Products

http://www.c-m-p.com/PDF/Spa/2010Valves.pdf

here is replacement part list

http://www.c-m-p.com/PDF/Spa/2010ReplacementParts.pdf

hope the pdf opens I had some problems with them if not try from home page c-m-p.com

after doing more searching they are CMP Products

http://www.c-m-p.com/PDF/Spa/2010Valves.pdf

here is replacement part list

http://www.c-m-p.com/PDF/Spa/2010ReplacementParts.pdf

hope the pdf opens I had some problems with them if not try from home page c-m-p.com

I finally got them to come up, but I'm still not seeing this thing in the PDF's - I emailed them and included a link here, hopefully they reply back quickly - thanks for finding them.

OK, so here is the prognosis after I put in my ghetto specials to test - Not great but way better.

I still get a ton of water through the shaft of the diverter though. One it blows almost the whole thing off (which sucks because it's the lounger which is my favorite) and the other one blows out the handle. Is it possible that I have my ghett-O-ring (sorry couldn't resist) cut to the wrong size? Also, I have two round o-rings on the shaft of the gate - one below and one on the top of the shaft.

Any thoughts?

OK, so here is the prognosis after I put in my ghetto specials to test - Not great but way better.

I still get a ton of water through the shaft of the diverter though. One it blows almost the whole thing off (which sucks because it's the lounger which is my favorite) and the other one blows out the handle. Is it possible that I have my ghett-O-ring (sorry couldn't resist) cut to the wrong size? Also, I have two round o-rings on the shaft of the gate - one below and one on the top of the shaft.

Any thoughts?

OK, I've checked with 3 places now, only the original link has it, but they're not willing to break out the parts and sell me the caps and o-rings. Maybe a new approach here - what does the o-ring assembly on diverter usually look like? Having not taken them apart before I'm not sure, and clearly, my units don't have original seals. What I have right now is:

---\ handle

O - little o-ring that was on the top of the diverter - in the handle shaft.

------ cap

O - little o-ring on the underside of the cap - in the handle shaft.

() - Huge o-ring I manually cut that fits inside the top of the diverter. It is pictured in the last picture above inside the top of the cap.

Am I missing an o-ring or gasket somewhere??

Queue the chorus singing Handel's Messiah, ChaiSTi - I owe you a beer the next time you are in Denver...

Turns out the saga is this:

My dealer had a tech who was some kind of carnie that just went and got whatever parts instead of waiting for the right parts for the job, that's how I got the valve. Turns out it's NOT a CMP valve, it's a pentair valve that is actually manufactured by American Products (???). The valve is here (http://www.uspartscenter.com/divertervalve3-way.aspx), the guy who works there Rod spent probably way too long helping me with my meager order of two diverters, so I figured I'd commend them and spread a little sunshine their way for going way beyond normal customer service!!

• 1 month later...