Most Effective Way To Clean Tub Filter Cartridges?

simonc

What's the most effective way to clean the filter cartridges on my Jacuzzi Hot Tub?

I just installed them (new) about 5 months ago. A couple of weeks ago I did a decontamination, following Nitro's recommendation, using Spa Purge as the cleaner. Yes, I removed the filters first. Also, I opened all the jets so water was circulating through the entire plumbing system. I tried to be as thorough as possible ... using my wet vac to get water out of the low areas of the curved tub bottom. I re-installed the filters, shocked with 50ppm chlorine bleach, and then drained/refilled again.

So ... after of about two weeks of use, my Chlorine Demand (CD) is at about 50%/day. This seems rather high for a new refill on a newly decontaminated tub. I saw one thread on this forum that suggested that CD was related to organic debris in filters. Supposedly, the debris (skin cells, insects) is captured by the filter and then this material decomposes in the warm tub water, using up the chlorine. I have no idea if this is really true.

Short of decontaminating my tub again and buying new filters (about $60 US), maybe I should try cleaning my filters???

I've seen recommendations about putting them in the dishwasher, I assume without detergent. This doesn't make sense to me. Is this very hot water really going to clean organic debris out of the multiple folds & little crevices in the filter? I doubt it. My dishwasher sometimes has trouble cleaning my utensils (forks) that are flat, smooth and with detergent. Also, I recently had to repair my dishwasher (replace broken plastic part in the sump). You should see all the garbage (literally) trapped in the sump of your dishwasher. Yuck!!!

Any suggestions for filter cleaning that would reduce my chlorine demand???

- Simon

01) Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacture’s instructions.

02) Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.

03) Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone.

04) For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) once cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

05) Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

06) If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops. WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause premature cartridge failure.

07) Rinse the cartridge clean and reassemble housing.

http://www.unicelfilters.com/pool_owners/c...orine_users.asp

If you don't have a large plastic container to soak the cartridges in, you can get a new, plastic, kitchen-size garbage can, they work well and for a reasonable price.

You should have two sets of cartridges and rotate as needed. That way you can always have a clean set ready to use.

I use TSP and hot water. I just soak the filters for about 12-24 hours and then rinse very well with tons of water.

I will tell you that from my experience as your filters get more dirty, your CD will rise. When you install a clean set of filters your CD will immediately drop. I clean my filters when my CD reaches about 40%, or at about the 60 day mark. Whichever comes first.

I also recommend having two sets of filters as previously mentioned.

The local tubs dealer told me not to use TSP as it will cause foaming. I have used the HTH brand of cleaner from Wal-Mart and good luck.

They are right, TSP will cause foaming...IF you don't rinse your filter properly and completely.

TSP is some wonderful stuff....just make sure to give it a good rinse.

The local tubs dealer told me not to use TSP as it will cause foaming. I have used the HTH brand of cleaner from Wal-Mart and good luck.

Anyone else have experience with HTH filter cleaner? Is it a soak or spray or what? I looked on the HTH website, they give almost no infomation. Maybe there are other similar (better?) products out there?

Also, have people had good luck with TSP? It's cheap, but does it cause foaming or skin/eye irritation. But I'm nervous about using a strong detergent (takes the shine off of paint!) and then putting the TSP cleaned filter back into my tub. Also, what concentration of TSP do you recommend for soaking the filters?

Thanks,

- Simon

I have to clean my filter weekly which is a pain in the @ss, but I suck it up.

Hose season... no problem. Blast it with the hose until it's clean. Voila

Winter months... more of a pain. I bought a hand held shower head with multiple settings. One setting is a jet and that gets it clean.

I tried the TPS and ended up with a bit of foam so I haven't used it since. Maybe I'll try again in the summer when I have a hose and can rinse it better.

My filter soaks in a 2:1 solution of water:chemical after I spray it clean. I have 2 filters that I rotate.

I have to clean my filter weekly which is a pain in the @ss, but I suck it up.

Hose season... no problem. Blast it with the hose until it's clean. Voila

Winter months... more of a pain. I bought a hand held shower head with multiple settings. One setting is a jet and that gets it clean.

I tried the TPS and ended up with a bit of foam so I haven't used it since. Maybe I'll try again in the summer when I have a hose and can rinse it better.

My filter soaks in a 2:1 solution of water:chemical after I spray it clean. I have 2 filters that I rotate.

I use my tub tub to rinse the filters. I just fill it and let them sit in clean water for a while...then drain and repeat....and do it again and a again. Usually about a 2 hour process...but then I have no foam issues at all.

If you have a hand held shower that doesn't provide enough pressure, you can usually remove the shower head. Leaves a smaller diameter hose with a pretty stiff stream. B)

I use my tub tub to rinse the filters. I just fill it and let them sit in clean water for a while...then drain and repeat....and do it again and a again. Usually about a 2 hour process...but then I have no foam issues at all.

I just realized that you probably mean bathtub, not hot tub. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone else might have misunderstood.

I just realized that you probably mean bathtub, not hot tub. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone else might have misunderstood.

Oh yeah....the BATHTUB.

Too funny... I just had a flash of someone draining and refilling their hot tub about 6 times to clean their filters.

Good catch, Thanks.