Painted Pool What Chalky Substance In Water After Brushing

Gavin

Hi Guys my painted pool always gets cloudy after brushing it with a nylon wall brush. I though pool paint only flaked off but this paint comes off in the water like a white powder. I believe its called chalk? seen paint chalk on homes when I used to pressure clean but I thought pool paint only flaked and not chalk? or am I wrong?

then again I think the paint is actually house paint anyway.

just read that it can. I guess this post can be deleted. how do I do that?

Thanks

just found this excellent article on painted pools and how to paint. would like to share with others....

http://www.poolcenter.com/painted_pools.htm

Painting a pool is a very bad idea. The paint never gives good performance. It chips, flakes and chalks. I recommend against paint.

Whaaaa? I bought my paint from a tract development pool hack and worse had it applied by same and it failed? First of all real pool paint, Epoxylon, for instance, doesn' chalk. If you have good paint with a properly prepared surface, you'll get five years in the tropics, ten further North If it is failing, it fails with bubbles not chalk. Chalk happens for two reasons:

1. Residue of pool chemicals

2. Some hack having sold you epoxy paint not intended for a pool environment.

This site is umhhhh questionable......

• 2 weeks later...

Pool paint absolutely has a chance to chalk. It is not unheard of. Now for reasoning. PH level is everything. If your PH level is below the 7.0 Neutral mark for an extended period of time, you can expect that paint to chaulk. There are two different applications for paint. With Rubber Base paint which comes right out of can. Just like painting a house. And Epoxylon which is a two part mix with a catalyst. Epoxylon is the better choice. You CANNOT paint rubber base over Epoxylon and you CANNOT paint Epoxylon over rubber base. If your pool is chalking, it's late consider draining, power washing, acid washing and than painting. But it is very important that find out what kind of paint is on your pool.

For my money and my customer's satisfaction, I can't recommend paint. I've painted many pools at the customer's insistence, used both rubber base and epoxy base and have never had a happy customer. Yes, we followed the instructions to the letter. The lifespan of the product isn't very good, and even if you get the full 5 years (unlikely), the grief of draining, cleaning, drying, painting, curing...all why praying for good weather, just isnt worth it. Most (not all) pools in my area that get painted are at homes that are up for sale and it's a cheap, quick way of making the pool look good.