Tankless On Demand Water Heaters?

Samsneet

We just put in a fairly small inground pool (250 square feet) in southwest florida, never had a pool heater on it, and am interested in adding an on demand water heater. I have done some reading and came across the Brand Eco 18-27, does on demand heating.

We use a pool cover, and don't need a heater for most of the summer months since the temp is so warm here, but looking to be able to heat up pool to use Nov - March.

Here's the website for the product I was looking at: http://www.ecosmartus.com/products/details...2&product=8

Can i get input from anyone that has experience with on demand heating for their pools? thanks

All pool heaters are "On-demand". You can get electric or natural gas. The kind of heater you are thinking about is designed for heating water for home use. A pool heater is designed specifically for pool use and will give you better performance.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense....(all are on demand)...Specifically, i was looking at this type of pool heater...any thoughts? thanks a lot! http://www.ecosmartus.com/products/details...2&product=8

Samsneet,

I have reviewed the spec's for the product you are considering using and find it fascinating. The only problem I really can see is the 112 amps required to operate. This is a similar problem with all electric heaters. You should check with an electrician to see if your homes service can even handle this many amps.

You should also check with the manufacturer to see if this heater is salt water safe. You may not use salt, but the next guy who buys your house may.

It would be great if they offered a natural gas model similar that of indoor tankless water heaters. The price is about 1K which is a steal. I use Coates all electric water heaters in commercial pools and will pay 5 times that amount. This product is so new I cannot really say why it costs so much less.

The heater requires (3) 40 amp circuits (120 amp total ampacity). As Dreamscape notes, you might not have that much electrical capacity available.

You should also compare your cost per BTU of heat as delivered by natural gas vs. electric if you have natural gas available, as it might be cheaper.

Some gas heater makers to consider include Pentair, Sta-Rite (Pentair), Jandy, Raypak (Rheem), Hayward (Comfortzone) and Lochinvar.

250 square feet is a fairly small pool. I would estimate that the volume would be about 7,500 gallons. Assuming 7,500 gallons and a heat input of 92,000 btu per hour would raise the water temperature by 1.47 degrees per hour excluding losses. Losses can be fairly significant during colder ambient temperatures.

Looking at the picture on the web site of that unit in action heating a pool, WITH a SW Chlorine generator, I would have three questions.

Can your service handle the required load of 112 amps? Thats huge. You probably can with a visit from your electrician.

How much is it going to cost with you wanting to heat NOV - MAR (the cold months)?

And will that be cost effective or "worth it"?

Then there is the claim, "1°-1½°F per hour based on a 3½ mile per hour average wind at your pool surface." They didn't mention how cold that wind is? I'm sure that it won't be able to keep up with the amount of heat loss associated with certain air temps (I did see that you will be covering the pool).

Having said all that, the product does claim that it is rated for an average size pool 14 X 40. So, if you can answer these questions in a positive manner, and the unit performs as advertised (which is similar to a gas fired, natural draft heater, 1 to 2 degrees an hour), I would say why not?

Looking at the picture on the web site of that unit in action heating a pool, WITH a SW Chlorine generator, I would have three questions.

Can your service handle the required load of 112 amps? Thats huge. You probably can with a visit from your electrician.

How much is it going to cost with you wanting to heat NOV - MAR (the cold months)?

And will that be cost effective or "worth it"?

Then there is the claim, "1°-1½°F per hour based on a 3½ mile per hour average wind at your pool surface." They didn't mention how cold that wind is? I'm sure that it won't be able to keep up with the amount of heat loss associated with certain air temps (I did see that you will be covering the pool).

Having said all that, the product does claim that it is rated for an average size pool 14 X 40. So, if you can answer these questions in a positive manner, and the unit performs as advertised (which is similar to a gas fired, natural draft heater, 1 to 2 degrees an hour), I would say why not?

Thanks for all the great input...are any of you all in SW Florida? I'd be glad to get you on my referral list, I own a cleaning company and need a good pool service to be able to recommend. Thanks

Sam