Noisy Jet 1 Pump On Low Setting

pkillur

So, I finally got the Windriver Hurricane set up, and it was a complete joy to use for the first night, and the timing could not have been more perfect with a clear starry night, a freezing cold draft (-10 with wind chill!!!) and some nice time with our 5 year old son. However, I noticed something last night that I didn't seem to find happening previously - the pump one motor seems like it's noisy on the 1st setting (the low setting) and then when I kick it into second speed it seems to get a teeny bit more silent. The Other one is the opposite, it's more quiet on 1 than 2 (expected I would think). The vibration dampers seem a little worn out, so I could maybe try and replace those, though I really don't want to replace the wetend because it's a PITA to get on and off. Maybe for good insurance I should do it anyhow, because the seals are probably original...

As well, I had a weird thing happen, the temp was on 101, my wife wanted it at 105, so she turned it up. Once she did, when I turned off the pumps it tripped the GFI. Am I missing something obvious to anyone else?

So, I finally got the Windriver Hurricane set up, and it was a complete joy to use for the first night, and the timing could not have been more perfect with a clear starry night, a freezing cold draft (-10 with wind chill!!!) and some nice time with our 5 year old son. However, I noticed something last night that I didn't seem to find happening previously - the pump one motor seems like it's noisy on the 1st setting (the low setting) and then when I kick it into second speed it seems to get a teeny bit more silent. The Other one is the opposite, it's more quiet on 1 than 2 (expected I would think). The vibration dampers seem a little worn out, so I could maybe try and replace those, though I really don't want to replace the wetend because it's a PITA to get on and off. Maybe for good insurance I should do it anyhow, because the seals are probably original...

As well, I had a weird thing happen, the temp was on 101, my wife wanted it at 105, so she turned it up. Once she did, when I turned off the pumps it tripped the GFI. Am I missing something obvious to anyone else?

After a weekend of using the spa on and off, it seems to have worked it's pump 1 issues out. I'm guessing it just needed to find it's groove or something!

I still have the GFI issue with heating and both pumps at the same time. It doesn't seem to trip the house breaker, just the GFI - does anyone have any thoughts on this - could it be a corroded / crappy heater element?

This is a long shot but some boards can be configured for 40A, 50A or 60A demand via jumper settings.

If your board is calling for 60A with both pumps and the heater on, but it's configured for maybe 40A or 50A, then you're obviously going to trip the GFI. The way around this is to change your jumper settings if you have a manual.

Many tubs are designed to operate with different electrical setups. The typical configurations are for 40 amp, 50 amp or 60 amp. Each electrical set up will allow you to operate your tub under different configurations, i.e., one pump, two pumps, multiple pumps with heater, etc.

You may need to check the number of amps on your wiring and the amps on your GFCI circuit breaker and compare that to the number of amps your tub requires to run all pumps and the heater at the same time. It's possible that your wiring and/or your GFCI circuit breaker may not be sufficient to operate all pumps and the heating at the same time...hence, tripping the GFCI breaker. The tub manual should provide you with the electrical requirements to run everything at the same time. Be sure your electrical set up meets those requirements (also make sure the wiring itself is the correct sized wiring).

Good luck.

Many tubs are designed to operate with different electrical setups. The typical configurations are for 40 amp, 50 amp or 60 amp. Each electrical set up will allow you to operate your tub under different configurations, i.e., one pump, two pumps, multiple pumps with heater, etc.

You may need to check the number of amps on your wiring and the amps on your GFCI circuit breaker and compare that to the number of amps your tub requires to run all pumps and the heater at the same time. It's possible that your wiring and/or your GFCI circuit breaker may not be sufficient to operate all pumps and the heating at the same time...hence, tripping the GFCI breaker. The tub manual should provide you with the electrical requirements to run everything at the same time. Be sure your electrical set up meets those requirements (also make sure the wiring itself is the correct sized wiring).

Good luck.

Hey gman - seems that great minds think alike!

Good luck.

Hey gman - seems that great minds think alike!

I am going to call WindRiver and see if they have a PDF version of the manual (long shot probably). Not sure what kind of control it has. My father-in-law was the first / previous owner and had it installed as 50A, and the GFI is 50A as well. I pulled the evil, evil, 6 GA cable for it in a teeny dank crawlspace, so I know the wire is good - it's like 3 weeks old :) GFI came from the in-laws, I'm kinda wondering if it has been knocked around a bit too much and might need replacing. I'm also thinking that I will go and check out the physical wiring and make sure everything is secured inside the box.

I will also find out what controller the box has and try and find a jumper setting.

Thanks for the tips guys!