Sudden, Dramatic Increase In Hot Tub Temperature

gordholio99

Hey everyone:

Okay, for some bizarre reason, my hot tub temperature suddenly (in the span of a day or two) increased from 104 degrees to 122 degrees. Yes, 122!!

Does anyone know why something like that would happen? It's an old pump/motor (12 years or more), so having something go wrong was expected, but this seems very weird.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who replies.

gord

Quantum, thank you!! Sounds totally reasonable.

Just went back out there and noticed the motor itself is also leaking. Wonder if a rapid rise in temp had something to do with it. All I know is that this motor is loud as heck and has cost me a couple hundred dollars over the past couple of years. Methinks it's time to get a new one.

BTW, would anyone know if a temp of 122 would destroy any of the seals within the hot tub insulation? I think I would cry out loud if I got a new motor, thinking it would give me a few more years of relatively maintenance free hot tub use, only to find out I have to spend a ton more money digging into the tub surround to repair another leak(s).

gordo

122 degrees isn't very hot for the materials that the hot tub is made from, it's just hot for people.

I wouldn't worry about that temperature damaging your tub.

Dave