Any Experience With Stingls?

Asfyxiate

On the hotel's inground/indoor pool we had to install what's called a Stingl, for those who don't quite know, basically it cuts off the power to the pump if it detects any slight difference in suction. That's how I'd sum it up at least. Anyways, as you can image it's kinda a pain to vacuum and drain the pool with this thing. There's a "maintenance" feature which allows an allotted 30 minutes to do your business and then it shuts off the pump unless you switch it back on. During those 30 minutes an extremely annoying and audible alarm is being played so you "don't forget".

Skipping to my question, does anybody have any idea how to bypass this thing so that when I close off a skimmer to vacuum it doesn't quit? Unfortunately my boss if the kind of guy who doesn't read/kind manuals and I'd also like to hear what other peoples experiences with them are.

On the hotel's inground/indoor pool we had to install what's called a Stingl, for those who don't quite know, basically it cuts off the power to the pump if it detects any slight difference in suction. That's how I'd sum it up at least. Anyways, as you can image it's kinda a pain to vacuum and drain the pool with this thing. There's a "maintenance" feature which allows an allotted 30 minutes to do your business and then it shuts off the pump unless you switch it back on. During those 30 minutes an extremely annoying and audible alarm is being played so you "don't forget".

Skipping to my question, does anybody have any idea how to bypass this thing so that when I close off a skimmer to vacuum it doesn't quit? Unfortunately my boss if the kind of guy who doesn't read/kind manuals and I'd also like to hear what other peoples experiences with them are.

What you are explaining is a common problem with stingl's product, but also a good idea as so you can't forget to reset it. To answer your question is NO it can't be bypasses

• 2 weeks later...

He is right, you cannot bypass it and If you could figure out how to, I would not advise it. You may permanently disarm the system and open yourselft up for a lawsuit or government fine.

What I would suggest is purchasing a different vacuum. Rather than using the old school skimmer vacs, look at some of the robotic products out there from Pool Smart and others. These vacuums do all the work with no help from the pools suction. They have self contained baskets and operate without any human help. The biggest bang for the buck is the NITRO from Smart Pool.

Your just another victim to a very complicated system. There is no way to bypass like the last two fellows referred to. But disengaging that device in a commercial setting such as a hotel you, yourself are liable if something were to go wrong. Which is a HEAVY fine and jail time. so id recommend to getting a good set of ear plugs :D Cause that alarm is annoying!! haha

If you're looking at the robotic cleaners, the Kingshark2 by AquaVac comes with a caddy for carrying it back and forth from the storage area to the pool, as well as a remote control so you can steer it to the areas that need cleaning. These cleaners have onboard pumps & filters so they are entirely self-contained. The AquaVac product uses a good quality cartridge filter which removes easily for cleaning & is inexpensive to replace. The KS2 is designed for commercial pool applications, so is a very good fit for your situation.

• 4 months later...

Dang. I was really hoping to find an answer. I wish they at least would give the option of lengthening the allotted time you get. Thanks anyway! As for the new vacuum, guess I'll have to convince my boss to get one.

You can imagine the difficulty in using the Stingl-equipped pump to drain the pool for the purpose of installing the mandated VGB drain covers! It would be easy [if you wanted to risk 30 years in the electric chair,] to install a Stingl bypass switch for maintenance and pool draining.

Has anyone installed the remote alarm? I think it is a good idea, because swimmers cannot hear the Stingl's beep-beep coming from inside our equipment room. But just how loud is the remote alarm, and is it disabled in the "maintenance' mode?

I agree 30 minutes is barely enough maintenance time to clean a commercial pool unless it's pretty clean to start with.