Test Strips Vs. Drops

JimS

Here is my problem. If I use the drops method, "Acua Chem", I get a pH around 7.8 to 8. If I use the test strips I got from my Spa dealer, not out of date, I get 7.2. Which one is correct? I am taking a water sample in tomorrow to the dealer.

My TA was 80 this morning and my Bromine was 1.0 So I added Bromine. I had to leave for work so I will check it again this afternoon.

I am real new to this Spa Chemicals, have read the posts given for tubs. Is there a Chemicals for Dummy's? I have the pH up and dwn, Spa Shock, Bromine granules, and a pH & Water Hardness up. Is there anything else that i need? Do I need a floater for Bromine or is granules enough when it gets low?

Any ideas about the drop method or the test strips?

thanks for the help,

Jim

<_<

Here is my problem. If I use the drops method, "Acua Chem", I get a pH around 7.8 to 8. If I use the test strips I got from my Spa dealer, not out of date, I get 7.2. Which one is correct? I am taking a water sample in tomorrow to the dealer.

My TA was 80 this morning and my Bromine was 1.0 So I added Bromine. I had to leave for work so I will check it again this afternoon.

I am real new to this Spa Chemicals, have read the posts given for tubs. Is there a Chemicals for Dummy's? I have the pH up and dwn, Spa Shock, Bromine granules, and a pH & Water Hardness up. Is there anything else that i need? Do I need a floater for Bromine or is granules enough when it gets low?

Any ideas about the drop method or the test strips?

thanks for the help,

Jim

<_<

Friends don't let friends use test strips.

I would get a nice Taylor drop kit like the K2006 or something like that after you use up your other dropper kit.

As to bromine I know nothing about that.....someone else will have to help you on that one.

My CD is very high, I think due to my ozonator, so I use test strips to check for the presence of chlorine. Otherwise they're useless for any kind of accurate measurement. I have the K2006 and it's everything you'll need to maintain your spa. You'll need the bromine version. Search the forums and you can find places with good prices on the Taylor kits, and the refills when you need them.

As a new convert to the Taylor K2006, I can say I love it. But I still use Test strips for broad measurements. For example. I know my TA is very high, so I've been using test strips to test reductions. Once I get get closer to my target TA (sya with 20 or so points), I'll use the Taylor Kit again.

I also use as a quick check of ph and FC just to see if I'm in the ball park. But I do rely on these numbers. Like I said, they are ball park readings. to make sure nothing is way off.

I do this because A) I have about 40 strips or so left. B) It's quick and easy. C) to conserve on regent use.

Jim -

I am a convert to the "diclor-then-bleach" method that many people on this forum use. It is recommended by Chem Geek and Nitro (and many others more knowledgeable than I). Here's a link to an excellent WRITEUP by Nitro.

It has a lot of information in it and at first I was very intimidated by it. Others in this forum encouraged me to try it, and it's really as simple as one, two, three: 1. Balance your water. 2. Use diclor then switch to regular bleach. 3. Test your water with a good test kit. I got the Taylor K-2006 kit, costs about $50-$60.

I've been using the method for about 3 months successfully. Also, I've learned a lot by reading posts made by Chem Geek, Nitro, and other experienced and technically savvy forum members. (My apologies to all the other top forum contributors, I can't remember all the member name "handles" for the various top forum contributors, but there are many.)

Good luck,

- Simon

i have also found that my test strips show a pH much lower than my taylor reagent kit. About 0.5-0.6 pH units lower on average. I know that the strips aren't accurate, however I don't get how anyone could possibly get their tub in usable range using those things. And (just guessing) that's what most people use because that's what the dealers tell them to use! It's frustrating that they are THAT off.