Will This Location Work

seabright_sc

Ok,

I checked out a 2003 Hotspring Jetsetter and I think I may purchase it. The dilemma now is where to put it. We have a deck with plenty of space, but it is wide open, no privacy and I would most likely have to reinforce it. So I'm thinking of my side patio which is actually an ideal location since we seldom use it and it sits right off of a sliding glass door....

But the fit is tight. Please click on link to see a pic of the area:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3088...p;id=1420681099

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3088...p;id=1420681099

(for the life of me I could not figure how to post pics directly.)

Here are the concerns:

The patio is is made of free floating arizona flagstone of various size pieces set in pea gravel (probably about 6 inches thick)... So first, I need to know if this base will work for the Jetsetter (a small hot tub with a max weight of about 2800 lbs).

Next.... tight space!

The Jetsetter measures 6"10" x 5'2"

Looking at the picture, the hot tub would be only about 6 inches off that back fence (where the painting is), all the way next to the house (with about an inch to spare) and right up against that planter on the right. There would be about 24 inches on the right side of the pic from the edge of the planter(and hot tub) to the side fence.

Essentially there would only be one truly unobstructed access (north side closest to where the pic was taken), the east side of hot tub would be only an inch from the house, south side only six inches out from the back fence, and the west side would have about 2 feet (though that planter/vine would be there).

Yes, the fit is tight but the location does offer a lot of privacy and easy access to the house. I could remove that little planter, but we have a nice established vine that adds to the privacy. I kind of figured with the Jetsetter, being such a small model (and 110v), we could easily move to hot tub should it need servicing.

But I have never owned a spa and not sure if I'm over optimistic. I really want to surprise my wife with a hot tub for christmas and hope this works. If not... looks like I'm waiting till summer and reinforcing my deck. I just don't have the experience or knowledge first hand to know if this spot , while not entirely ideal, would work at all. Sorry for the long post and thank you for the support.

The base is probably ok. I might remove the stones just so they won't go to waste under your tub.

Keep in mind that one of the sides of the tub has the control package and pumps. You will have to put that side facing you, (in relation to your photo) so that there is enough access to be opened/serviced.

Maybe transplant the tree (hopefully the wife isn't in love with that tree) and remove the paver stones for a little more wiggle room?

The base is probably ok. I might remove the stones just so they won't go to waste under your tub.

Keep in mind that one of the sides of the tub has the control package and pumps. You will have to put that side facing you, (in relation to your photo) so that there is enough access to be opened/serviced.

Maybe transplant the tree (hopefully the wife isn't in love with that tree) and remove the paver stones for a little more wiggle room?

Also, don't forget to leave several inches for the cover lifter. Not sure which direction you will have it facing, but to the back probably would be the best, so the arms will have to be on the sides, and the inch clearance you are planning next to the house, will not be enough.

Randy

Each tub is built differently and has its own specific support requirements.

Get the recommendations of the tub manufacturer to be sure that your installation meets their requirements. If not, any damage claims might be denied.

I don't think that 6 inches of pea gravel will give adequate support. The support will be non-uniform, which could cause excessive stress in the shell, which could lead to cracking.

A level concrete base or strong wood platform would be best.

You will also have to have an electrician run a power supply to the tub.

Leave the flagstones there. That base should be plenty for the Jetsetter. Especially if it's been there for a while.

You can shim that spa to level it (on the 2 x 4's going under the spa) with no problem at all.

HotSpring is VERY structurally sound.

As the others mentioned leave space for a cover lifter if you can (8" for the Uprite and 24" for the Cradle II) - (it looks like you have a spigot that might hamper you), and plenty of room for a tech to get to the equipment area. I agree the tree may have to go.

Keep in mind the window sill and shutters stick out from the wall a little.

Have Fun

Leave the flagstones there. That base should be plenty for the Jetsetter. Especially if it's been there for a while.

You can shim that spa to level it (on the 2 x 4's going under the spa) with no problem at all.

HotSpring is VERY structurally sound.

As the others mentioned leave space for a cover lifter if you can (8" for the Uprite and 24" for the Cradle II) - (it looks like you have a spigot that might hamper you), and plenty of room for a tech to get to the equipment area. I agree the tree may have to go.

Keep in mind the window sill and shutters stick out from the wall a little.

Have Fun

Yep, I think I may take out that little planter which will give me another 2 feet.... which is quite And yes, that spigot is in the way! It's for the fire sprinklers!

It's still gonna be tight accessing that panel. How much space is needed?

Thanks again for all the help. Looks like me wife is gonna get a hot tub for christmas!

Hi,

One more thought, I can't take credit for it. A dealer pointed out to me that the main spa I was looking at, if I put it where I wanted with access to the service panel and access to the tub would have most people would be looking directly into the wall of my house. I am looking at a different model that works for the location I want and has almost everyone looking across the deck or out to the back yard not into a wall.

Dasher