Urgent: About To Use Spa Flush; Should Filters Be In Or Out?

Superdad

This weekend, on my empty but contaminated tub (see Help: Living organism coating spa?) I am going to do a system flush (Swirl Away or Spa Flush), drain, then decontamination and drain, and then on third fill super-clorinate swim water for verification.

My question is (On my D-1 Nautilus with 2 each 75 sq./ft. filters), do I keep any filters in the spa during the first step with the Spa Flush?

If yes, then I guess I'll need to clean those (I usually soak my filters in diluted muriatic acid and pressure rinse) really well afterwards. But my instinct tells me that I do want any filters in during flush. (I am trying rid my tub of some unknown combination of biofilm and a lot of granulated calcium carbonate scale.)

Please advise ASAP as I want to start the process Saturday morning (assuming UPS delivers my chems this afternoon).

Thanks,

ALEX

This weekend, on my empty but contaminated tub (see Help: Living organism coating spa?) I am going to do a system flush (Swirl Away or Spa Flush), drain, then decontamination and drain, and then on third fill super-clorinate swim water for verification.

My question is (On my D-1 Nautilus with 2 each 75 sq./ft. filters), do I keep any filters in the spa during the first step with the Spa Flush?

If yes, then I guess I'll need to clean those (I usually soak my filters in diluted muriatic acid and pressure rinse) really well afterwards. But my instinct tells me that I do want any filters in during flush. (I am trying rid my tub of some unknown combination of biofilm and a lot of granulated calcium carbonate scale.)

Please advise ASAP as I want to start the process Saturday morning (assuming UPS delivers my chems this afternoon).

Thanks,

ALEX

Alex,

I would think you would want to start with new filters. Too much work to take a chance recontaminating the tub.

Parawood

Thanks,

ALEX

Alex,

I would think you would want to start with new filters. Too much work to take a chance recontaminating the tub.

Parawood

I also would highly recommend new filters. Contaminated filters will re-infect your spa.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I got the chems this afternoon and the Spa Flush bottle says to run it without any filters in the tub. Hopefully my D-1 electronic brain will allow that.

I have a clean and dry set of filters from before the contamination. That's what I'll use when I put the final water in. But I may put the old (but muriatic acid bathed and rinsed) set in during the mega-chlorination 2nd-fill for the decon step. And maybe I'll run the stored dry set in that high chlorine water (with the jets on high) for a while too. I don't think it could hurt and would be a good way to insure that the filters (which I have always taken good care of with soaks and rinses) don't have any living nasties.

With filters at $70/set, and having just dropped a bunch on test kit and new chems, etc., I'm going to hold off on new filters for a little while. After I have some practice at the Dichlor/Bleach system, then I'll order new filters--and new neck pillows!

Have a nice Thanksgiving everyone. I'll post again after the weekend once I see how my newly educated attempt at water balancing goes.

ALEX