New And Confused--help!

missyk97

We bought a South Seas Spa 744L in October. When getting it delivered, they went over maintanece with my husband--simply saying, rinse filter weekly, change Nature 2 every 4 months, add chlorine granules after every use(about a capful)--when we run out of this-start using renew(again, capful per person/use), and put enzyme in it weekly. I've been doing all that, but the 2 days(not consequtive) we didn't use the spa-no chemicals were added--the first time, water got cloudy-the 2nd time(2 days ago), kinda cloudy w/an odor. I used the chlorine granules(bought more) and shocked it, now it's slightly cloudy-odor's gone. I am thinking all is not right only doing these things. I've read nitro's guide--but I am a dummy and like to be told specific amounts. I was debating about doing the 5 oz chlorox 6% per person/hour and then doing the dichlor and renew treatment weekly. Right now, I only have test strips. With the nature 2, if we use renew-which is non-chlorine, the strip won't read any chlorine, right? Any help or advice is welcome...just do it in layman's terms so I can understand. Thanks in advance.

We bought a South Seas Spa 744L in October. When getting it delivered, they went over maintanece with my husband--simply saying, rinse filter weekly, change Nature 2 every 4 months, add chlorine granules after every use(about a capful)--when we run out of this-start using renew(again, capful per person/use), and put enzyme in it weekly. I've been doing all that, but the 2 days(not consequtive) we didn't use the spa-no chemicals were added--the first time, water got cloudy-the 2nd time(2 days ago), kinda cloudy w/an odor. I used the chlorine granules(bought more) and shocked it, now it's slightly cloudy-odor's gone. I am thinking all is not right only doing these things. I've read nitro's guide--but I am a dummy and like to be told specific amounts. I was debating about doing the 5 oz chlorox 6% per person/hour and then doing the dichlor and renew treatment weekly. Right now, I only have test strips. With the nature 2, if we use renew-which is non-chlorine, the strip won't read any chlorine, right? Any help or advice is welcome...just do it in layman's terms so I can understand. Thanks in advance.

I would forget everything they spa store told you.

Read Nitro's sanitation program....Print it out...Keep it for reference.

Bookmark http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/ on your computer....or get the ipod application (this rocks because I can take my water calculator out to the tub...very handy).

Use Nitro's procedure, when at a loss..ask for help or search for it on here.

Your water will be clean, nice, smell good, easy to maintain, and most importantly....SAFE.

Search MRSA on here if you want a good reason to use Nitro's advice and good sanitation methods.

Ok....I will get off the soapbox now

Good luck.....It's really easy!

Oh...and I leave the Nature 2 in my tub just for good backup in case I forget to add the sanitizer. ( has not happened yet..but I know some day it will)

Oh...and I leave the Nature 2 in my tub just for good backup in case I forget to add the sanitizer. ( has not happened yet..but I know some day it will)

Just a quick note on Nature2. I have one in my tub now for two weeks plus. Using Bleach method and hadn't used the tub for a few days. Chlorine went to zero, and I mean zero from my drop test. I have just been adding bleach and not any MPLS, which is what the Nature2 book tells you that just must to activate it. I did early on add MPLS to kick things off but stopped.

Wondering if I need to weekly add a little MPLS to keep the Nature2 active? I guess bleach doesn't do that.

Either that or the Nature2 is a $40 waste of time and I can keep things running fine with just bleach, more of it for sure, but just bleach and weekly MPLS...

Greg