Wood Vs. Synthetic Cabinets

paintnsunni

It all depends on the cabinet. My favorite synthetic cabinet is from Sundance. I think it looks as good as real wood and will last a long time. That being said, there's nothing worse than looking at an ugly synthetic cabinet. I think most of the larger spa manufacturers are doing a good job with their synthetic cabinets.

There is also a misconception that this product is far less maintenance than a wood skirting. A cedar skirt will require a clear coat annually which equates to about an hour a year worth of your time. Not an issue really. Like Doc said, it's personal preference and there's no huge advantage of one over the other.

Personally, I like the contrast of shades and the look of cedar.

Steve

Wood cabinets have been the mainstay of spas for years. Now, with the innovations of recycled products and realistic looking synthetic cabinets that do away with traditional up keep of wood, it is a tough choice. Which is better and why?

I personly love a great wood cabinet. I have a pile of natural cedar deck and it is absolutly beautiful, I get nothing but raves from my neighbors and all who see it. It makes no sense to put a plastic cabinet in all that beautiful cedar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/Tma.../SummerDeck.jpg

I personly love a great wood cabinet. I have a pile of natural cedar deck and it is absolutly beautiful, I get nothing but raves from my neighbors and all who see it. It makes no sense to put a plastic cabinet in all that beautiful cedar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/Tma.../SummerDeck.jpg

No one suggested that wood looked bad but, in a maintenance point of veiw, requires far less maintennce the the cedar in your pic. Great looking deck by the way. let's see how it holds up over the next five years vs. a synthetic decking material which requires two thirds less maintenance and much more forgiving in terms of not getting to it to restore the like new look.

No one suggested that wood looked bad but, in a maintenance point of veiw, requires far less maintennce the the cedar in your pic. Great looking deck by the way. let's see how it holds up over the next five years vs. a synthetic decking material which requires two thirds less maintenance and much more forgiving in terms of not getting to it to restore the like new look.

Ha......the deck is 13 years old already! The upper part is 15 years old!!!

Ha......the deck is 13 years old already! The upper part is 15 years old!!!

Realy!!! what do you use on it?

How Many hours a year do you spend on it?

I can see that the spa was added not long ago as the design of the handrail and caps well as ballisters do not match the rest of the deck. The wood doesn't have the dirt and mold sealed in from being recoated without being prepped properly in the past like the rest of your deck. I would switch to a water based sealer to avoid having yor deck turn black as mold loves oil stain. The Bio Wash poduct will work well on your deck to kill the mold and mildew without being a environmental hazard. Then when the deck is power washed I would use Cabbots deck conditioner/wood stabilizer to inhibit mold growth. After that is dry to manufactures directions then apply two thin coats of cabbots semi transparent water born stain. This procedure should be done every two to four years.

That is alot of hours in maintenance!

Synthetic trex only requires presure washing! alot less work and looks great!

Realy!!! what do you use on it?

How Many hours a year do you spend on it?

I can see that the spa was added not long ago as the design of the handrail and caps well as ballisters do not match the rest of the deck. The wood doesn't have the dirt and mold sealed in from being recoated without being prepped properly in the past like the rest of your deck. I would switch to a water based sealer to avoid having yor deck turn black as mold loves oil stain. The Bio Wash poduct will work well on your deck to kill the mold and mildew without being a environmental hazard. Then when the deck is power washed I would use Cabbots deck conditioner/wood stabilizer to inhibit mold growth. After that is dry to manufactures directions then apply two thin coats of cabbots semi transparent water born stain. This procedure should be done every two to four years.

That is alot of hours in maintenance!

Synthetic trex only requires presure washing! alot less work and looks great!

Every other year I power wash and restain usualy takes a weekend. The part around the tub is only 5 years old like the tub. The tub gets linseed oil every year (1/2 hr) wiped on with a rag. I have never used oil based on the deck. Mold is more prone in damp environments, it's dry here more than it is wet. The sun is out 60-80 percent of the time. Your from Wash. right? I can understand your concern regarding mold. I lived there untill I was 17. My neighbor has a synthetic deck that is 9 years old and it looks like doo-doo fading badly already, and he wishes he would of bought the kind you can stain (they make synthetic you can stain) so he could get his color back.. I have installed both kinds and Cedar is easier to work with also. They both cost about the same, I really don't see any advantage to synthetic over wood. Except for ease of maintainence, but I like my deck the natural cedar color it is. His deck is his main entrance also like mine is and his high traffic area like mine takes alot of abuse. His looks crappy all the time mine looks crappy for a year until I stain again then it looks good for another year..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/Tma.../DeckCorner.jpg

Every other year I power wash and restain usualy takes a weekend. The part around the tub is only 5 years old like the tub. The tub gets linseed oil every year (1/2 hr) wiped on with a rag. I have never used oil based on the deck. Mold is more prone in damp environments, it's dry here more than it is wet. The sun is out 60-80 percent of the time. Your from Wash. right? I can understand your concern regarding mold. I lived there untill I was 17. My neighbor has a synthetic deck that is 9 years old and it looks like doo-doo fading badly already, and he wishes he would of bought the kind you can stain (they make synthetic you can stain) so he could get his color back.. I have installed both kinds and Cedar is easier to work with also. They both cost about the same, I really don't see any advantage to synthetic over wood. Except for ease of maintainence, but I like my deck the natural cedar color it is. His deck is his main entrance also like mine is and his high traffic area like mine takes alot of abuse. His looks crappy all the time mine looks crappy for a year until I stain again then it looks good for another year..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/Tma.../DeckCorner.jpg [/quote

Stain is oil base Roger, So is linseed oil! My point is your deck is much higher maintenance then the Synthetic decking and the dark uneven look is also achieved in trex as well as other products completely eliminating the half yearly/yearly regime you do. If you want to be on your knees for hours and hours great! most of us don't. I think overall your deck looks great no change there but definately a weekend warrior upkeep is all I am saying, alot more.

Roger, very nice setup indeed. It must be quite idyllic soaking away at night in God's northwoods.

If I could keep the deer from knocking down the feeders in the yard it would be even cooler. Every night between 6-8 oclock there are several bucks and does that make the rounds of the neighborhood. If I can get in the tub before they show up it's almost a gaurantee they will be within 20 feet of me soaking in my tub. It is very sureal. And paint I will get the name of the stain if I can locate the 5 gallon jug i have of it in the garage. I though it was not oil based as it is a water clean up product, I was thinking silicon based? It's a Behr product I know that, and it looks like pudding when I am applying it, and you twisted my words once again, I said every other year, not twice a year. and it takes me a weekend and I am way to smart to be on my knees doing it!!! I use a chair to do the spindles and a long handle to do the decking. I have also sprayed but that requires a perfect day and better prep work. And I know linseed OIL is OIL based.

"The part around the tub is only 5 years old like the tub. The tub gets linseed oil every year (1/2 hr) wiped on with a rag."

I didn't twist one word! :blink:

OK....

Stain is oil base Roger, So is linseed oil! My point is your deck is much higher maintenance then the Synthetic decking and the dark uneven look is also achieved in trex as well as other products completely eliminating the half yearly/yearly regime you do. If you want to be on your knees for hours and hours great! most of us don't. I think overall your deck looks great no change there but definately a weekend warrior upkeep is all I am saying, alot more.

My post.......................

Every other year I power wash and restain usualy takes a weekend. The part around the tub is only 5 years old like the tub. The tub gets linseed oil every year (1/2 hr) wiped on with a rag. I have never used oil based on the deck. Mold is more prone in damp environments, it's dry here more than it is wet. The sun is out 60-80 percent of the time. Your from Wash. right? I can understand your concern regarding mold. I lived there untill I was 17. My neighbor has a synthetic deck that is 9 years old and it looks like doo-doo fading badly already, and he wishes he would of bought the kind you can stain (they make synthetic you can stain) so he could get his color back.. I have installed both kinds and Cedar is easier to work with also. They both cost about the same, I really don't see any advantage to synthetic over wood. Except for ease of maintainence, but I like my deck the natural cedar color it is. His deck is his main entrance also like mine is and his high traffic area like mine takes alot of abuse. His looks crappy all the time mine looks crappy for a year until I stain again then it looks good for another year..un-quote

You say in the above post that trex would completely eliminate the half yearly/yearly regimen that I do. I clearly stated I do my decks every other year and it takes me a weekend, and the tub once a year for a 1/2 hr.

But your right about one thing paint. It is more work to keep my cedar looking great, and IMO it looks better than any plastic deck, any time!! But if you choose plastic great have at it. I staple my x-mas lights around my deck every year, I put screws in it to hold up all kinds of little feeders and stuff, no worrys.

But it is a lot more work and you can screw into trex plus no staining....and I see you sealed in water spots on your tub but thats what you get when you only put in 15 minutes per side per year without washing, prepping and sealing...Have at it!

I like synthetic for the same reasons you do (pretty much maintanenace free, longevity and improved appearance vs what most of the synthetics used to look like) but it's not for everyone so don't spend too much time trying to convince everyone why you're right on this one (not that you would ever do that :rolleyes: ).

I like synthetic for the same reasons you do (pretty much maintanenace free, longevity and improved appearance) but it's not for everyone so don't spend too much time trying to convince everyone why you're right on this one (not that you would ever do that :rolleyes: ).

Point taken! Just didn't like the fact that he said minimal maintenance for his deck that started out thirteen years old on lower section the shrunk to five when Icalled him on the spa areabeing added.This deck requires many many hours of upkeep, don't be misslead to anything less. I agree it looks great just tell the truth about what it takes to maintain properly....thanks!

Point taken! Just didn't like the fact that he said minimal maintenance for his deck that started out thirteen years old on lower section the shrunk to five when Icalled him on the spa areabeing added.This deck requires many many hours of upkeep, don't be misslead to anything less. I agree it looks great just tell the truth about what it takes to maintain properly....thanks!

The very upper part next to the house 16x10 is 15 years old. The lower 14x14 section is 13 years old. The 2 sections leading to the tub one 8x4 and the other 2x8 are 5 years old. The front 12x12 not pictured is 15 years old. All the deck takes me ONE weekend every other year, that's every 2 years I spend a weekend restaining the entire thing!!!! I spend 1/2 hour every year applying linseed oil to my tubs skirting. Now if there's any part of this you need clarification on feel free to ask!!! Every hour I spend on my deck is worth every penny in compliments and enjoyment. The spindles get done about every 3rd or 4th year because they don't fade or wear like the upward facing surfaces. The underside framework never gets done because it is brown treated pine.

If its a big deal to you paint don't do it, matter of fact I recommend you get plastic or concrete. Just don't try and tell me I made a mistake by using cedar because I would have it no other way. It looks absolutly fabulous and that's the way I want it. But if you or anyone else would like me to build a custom deck for you I would be more than happy to price it out. And if you want plastic I can build that to, I have. Or privacy fences, gazebo's.

The very upper part next to the house 16x10 is 15 years old. The lower 14x14 section is 13 years old. The 2 sections leading to the tub one 8x4 and the other 2x8 are 5 years old. The front 12x12 not pictured is 15 years old. All the deck takes me ONE weekend every other year, that's every 2 years I spend a weekend restaining the entire thing!!!! I spend 1/2 hour every year applying linseed oil to my tubs skirting. Now if there's any part of this you need clarification on feel free to ask!!! Every hour I spend on my deck is worth every penny in compliments and enjoyment. The spindles get done about every 3rd or 4th year because they don't fade or wear like the upward facing surfaces. The underside framework never gets done because it is brown treated pine.

If its a big deal to you paint don't do it, matter of fact I recommend you get plastic or concrete. Just don't try and tell me I made a mistake by using cedar because I would have it no other way. It looks absolutly fabulous and that's the way I want it. But if you or anyone else would like me to build a custom deck for you I would be more than happy to price it out. And if you want plastic I can build that to, I have. Or privacy fences, gazebo's.

Impossible to maintain that deck in one weekend!!!! I'll bet your check on it!!!! No way! No how!!!! to clean. prep. and dry time? no way! I bid that stuff all the time and to wash it would take a day easy with a pressure washer alone.. Then I hope you let it dry 48 hours unless you don't read the product label.....The only way you can coat that spa in 1/2 hour is to not wash it down let alone pressure wash it!!

[/color]

If you cut corners on the deck, it thats ok but come clean and say that. Say you don't pressure wash the rail or underside every year.

Again your choice, just tell us you real time otherwise I will hire you to work for me and pay well if you can do all that properly in one weekend. plus that deck would use about $100.00 a year in product to restain each time so it does add to cost of ownership over Synthetic.. Enjoy your deck.

Impossible to maintain that deck in one weekend!!!! I'll bet your check on it!!!! No way! No how!!!! to clean. prep. and dry time? no way! I bid that stuff all the time and to wash it would take a day easy with a pressure washer alone.. Then I hope you let it dry 48 hours unless you don't read the product label.....The only way you can coat that spa in 1/2 hour is to not wash it down let alone pressure wash it!! Again your choice, just tell us you real time otherwise I will hire you to work for me and pay well if you can do all that properly in one weekend. plus that deck would use about $100.00 a year in product to restain each time so it does add to cost of ownership over Synthetic.. Enjoy your deck.

I do power wash the deck my deck every time I stain it. And I am smart enough to follow diections, why I am justifying myself to you I have no idea but here goes. I power wash one section on Wedn. after work 3-4 hours, then Thursday I do some more 3-4 hours. Friday I can stain untill dark on the first section and power was more if I want 6-8 hours. Saturday I can do something else and get to some drinking Sat. night. Then sunday I can watch Nascar and stain for 5-6 hours and power wash the last bit. I got 20 hours in it to this point. Now a weekend is officialy 48 hours so I got los of time to burn. I'll skip Mon, Tue, Wedn, Thur, and hit it again on the following Fri. 6-8 hours more stining and I am close. Of course I relax and the wife may grab a brush or roller or pad and help a bit and supply beer but I got alot of that 48 hours left so we are going to dinner and a tub party at a friend house cause thers only a few hours left till I am done....GET THE PICTURE??????? And no I do not prep the tub like you recommend but it has not been an issue to this point. just slap on some oil with rag and 1/2 lter i am done. Still looks almost as good as the day I bought it.

But thanks for letting us know your proffesion...I think you are rapeing your customers by charging that much, I would shop around. Oh and yes 100 bucks for 5 gallons of stain, but it's every other year remember?

And one more thing...I got like 5 jobs already!!

Gee Roger, isn't that nice of paint to offer you a job?! You only have to travel from MN to WA state to do some painting and staining! He is such a generous guy! Quite honestly, the guy must have sniffed too many fumes based on his writings and thought process. I wouldn't even dignify his posts any longer.