Pump Error- Need Advice!

Vermonter

Hello all... I recently started getting a P1 Error on my in.XM display on my Gulf Coast Spa LX 7000. Now, I know that this means that the primary pump needs attention, but I'm trying to get some information on what to expect, both financially and as far as the parts go. The pump still works on low (the tub is still able to heat and circulate and such), but pretty shortly after switching it to high, the entire thing shuts down and I start getting the P1 Error message.

Are these things fixable, or is pretty much a matter of replacing the whole thing? How difficult is it to replace the thing myself? (I have some electrical experience and a very, very little bit of plumbing experience)... should I just hire someone to come and fix the thing? (This goes out to you, Hillbilly Hot Tub!) Please advise, as winter is just around the corner and I'd rather not be out there fixing the damn thing in a foot of snow (or hiring some poor soul to do it for me in the same!) Thanks in advance-

Tony

Are these things fixable, or is pretty much a matter of replacing the whole thing? How difficult is it to replace the thing myself? (I have some electrical experience and a very, very little bit of plumbing experience)... should I just hire someone to come and fix the thing? (This goes out to you, Hillbilly Hot Tub!) Please advise, as winter is just around the corner and I'd rather not be out there fixing the damn thing in a foot of snow (or hiring some poor soul to do it for me in the same!) Thanks in advance-

Tony

Hi Tony. If your motor is craping out, yes, I'm so technical, then you can get it fixed as opposed to replaced, IF you can find a good motor repair shop that is familiar with pool and spa pumps.

Using a volt meter you should check the power going in to the hot tub though. Just to be sure it's not something weird. You want to see at least 220 volts; 110 on ground and red, 110 on ground and black; 220 on red and black. If you're not getting proper power, then shut off the spa and call an electrician.

If you are getting proper power, call your local pool and spa maintenance people, they should be able to give you some motor repair shop referrals.

If you remove the spa panel on the side where the motor is (see your manual for a picture), then you'll see the motor, and the two unions attached to it, and how easy it looks to do this yourself :)

Power off the spa of course, then unplug your pump from the control box. There are slice valves to shut off the water flow so you shouldn't have to drain your spa... unless it's going to freeze. Unscrew the two unions on the font and top and you're off and running.

Have the motor fixed and pump seal replaced. Spend a lot less than buying a new pump/motor. Put it all back together, job done! You're a hero!

[details]

If the unions are too tight to turn by hand, I use an oil filter wrench to get the unions off, but then I'm a girly and not so strong. When my husband steals the filter wrench, I use a big flat head screw driver on one of the ridges and tap GENTLY with a hammer. They are supposed to be hand tight though.

You could also check to make sure no critter has made a new home inside your spa and started chewing on things.

Have you had your spa a while, I mean, where the motor would be going bad already? Is there still a warranty? Or did that bite the dust when Gulf Coast did? :( Maybe a manufacture's warranty on the motor? All they need is the label. You pay whatever difference there is on the pro rated warranty and poof, new motor shipped.

Let us know what happens!

I forgot... does your spa have the big giant plug thing for the power, that looks like a dryer plug? I guess checking the power would be a little bit different in that case, and if you don't feel confident then do call the electrician! I would shut off the power, pull the plug out just enough to get the meter probes on there, turn the power back on then start checking the different plug ends to see which is hot and which is ground or neutral... just be careful.

Hello, and thanks for the response... Unfortunately, the spa is 3 (or 4, I forget) years old, and no longer under warranty, and besides I'm the second owner and the warranty would not have transferred over to me, anyway. Thanks so much for the advice, now if I can just find someone to deal with it before it freezes!

Tony

P.S. I will let you know how it works out

We just had a customer get his pump motor rebuilt locally, it cost him $475.00 to have it rebuilt, it lasted less than a year. He purchased a new pump this time. It depends on what needs to be rebuilt. We don't have any local people that rebuild them at a reasonable cost anymore. Sounds like water got into the windings and you are losing your high speed. You probably have bad seals that have been allowing water into the motor. If you have other pumps in the tub, i would also check the seals on those before they leak back into the motor. A tell tale sign of seals leaking is white residue on the shaft of the motor or on the floor below it.

Dont drain the spa, even if it is very cold weather, this will cause it to freeze quicker. Right now you will be safe with the tub full, and if it does drop off in temp to much, you can always hang an old fashioned 100 watt light bulb under the tub untill it is fixed to keep it from freezing (or a space heater on low)

Lokk us up in your local phone book and give us a call, we will talk you through.