Tip For Draining Fall/winter Precipitation From Pool W/ Mesh Covers

jkusmier

I've mentioned this before, but thought I'd mention again since we've had heavy rain in the StL region for the past 10 days or so. When I closed 3 weeks ago the water level in my 16x32 vinyl-lined pool was ~ 3" below the returns. I peeked under the cover yesterday AM and it was slightly above the normal operating level. That's alot of rain! As in the past, I deployed an old garden hose as a siphon. At lunch-time today (I work 5 mins from my house) I checked the water level again and was pleased to find that it was back down to ~ 3" below the returns. Simply pulled the hose from the pool and returned to work. Couldn't be easier. The great thing about siphoning is that because it's such a slow process there's no need for constant monitoring - you can check every 3-6 hours (depending upon pool size, current and target water levels) and can literally just pull the hose when you're back to a normal winter level.

Just put the pool end of the hose at the target water level and the siphoning will stop automatically at the proper level, no monitoring necessary.

Tip: The easiest way to set up a siphon is to fill the hose with water first instead of trying to use suction to start the siphon.

You're absolutely right on both points. Re: the first, I forgot to mention that, and also forgot to do it. But it was raining cats and dogs so I didn't take the time to lift the corner of the cover and check the placement.