Spring Diving Board & Salt Water...

mart242

I'm having a pool built (steel + vinyl) and the pool builder is planning to put a SR Smith Frontier II diving board (w/ spring). I've noticed that SR Smith now has a diving board made for salt water pools but it appears that my pool builder can't get it.

If he goes ahead with the Frontier II board, can I expect it to rust quickly and have to replace it soon? The boards don't have the same "footprint" so it can't be changed down the road without chipping away the concrete.. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if SR Smith isn't simply trying to get a larger market share by attracting customers with salt water pool saying that "hey, we're the only one with a board made for SW Pools!", ie: maybe the Frontier II board would be fine.. :unsure: The pool builder seems to think that because it will be bonded no rust will appear.

The boards are there: http://www.srsmith.com/fun_games/products....ory=Jump+Boards

THanks

Back when we still sold diving boards, we used to sell/install the Cantilever. And those would rust if you had a salt pool or not!

Why can't your builder get a salt board?

I'm located in Canada and availability seems to be an issue.. I'm pushing the issue and I think that I may simply order one from the US and pick it up at the border even if that means delaying the concrete by a few days. The anchors / jigs aren't the same so it's not like I can simply change the diving board down the road.

Any recommendations for a good 6' jump board? (ie: some spring in the base, some spring in the board)

I think that I may simply order one from the US and pick it up at the border even if that means delaying the concrete by a few days.

Thats what i would do too, If you can't locate a dealer closer.

Any recommendations for a good 6' jump board? (ie: some spring in the base, some spring in the board)

The 6ft laminate covered wood boards have no spring, you rely on the spring for any bounce. Fiberglass boards you may get a little, but it's mostly the spring. Don't alter the board or spring though, thats where you can get into trouble.

Update..

we've been getting really crappy weather up here (getting cold and rainy! winter is coming!) and there was no guarantee of when I would get the diving board from the US since it's shipped from the manufacturer directly (could be up to 10 days) so I told my installer to go ahead with the regular diving board he uses. He said that no one ever complained about rust and he's been doing that for a while.

So of course, the day after they poured the concrete the supplier finally gets back to the installer saying that he can get the salt pool dive system :rolleyes:

Oh well. I guess I'll just maintain the diving board base better to reduce the rust. The concrete deck turned out great so I'm pretty happy overall.

My checklist would include 1) replacing all the nuts, bolts and washers w/ good quality stainless steel versions and 2) installing a sacrificial anode to combat galvanic corrosion IF the diving board is connected to the pool's bonding. Otherwise, there's not much more to do, except from using a high-quality paint and perhaps hosing the board off thoroughly after heavy use and splashing.

Some of the bolts were part of the "jig" (the part that gets poured in concrete) so I can't do much about them but I could certainly replace the nuts and washer by proper ones. I could paint them after assembly but since I'm planning on removing the board every winter the pain in the threads wouldn't be that great. I guess U could use a tap & die kit to clean the threads every year, that wouldn't be too much trouble.

I'll have to look into sacrificial anodes because the board is connected to the pool bonding "circuit". From what I remember reading on this forum, they were not perfect though..

If the board (and nuts) are only going to be out only about 3 to 4 months a year, you may not have that big of an issue here. You'll know more at the end of next season

Note: when the diving board isn't in place, make sure you put something at, on, or around the jig. pavers, bricks, an empty chlorine case, anything. I don't know if you have ever stubbed your toe on a jig bolt but MAN it hurts. Running kids can trip over them too.

Note: when the diving board isn't in place, make sure you put something at, on, or around the jig. pavers, bricks, an empty chlorine case, anything. I don't know if you have ever stubbed your toe on a jig bolt but MAN it hurts. Running kids can trip over them too.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely be doing that. I'm actually not worried about the kid as much as my toes. The diving board will be there when they use the pool and they are too young to be around the pool without supervision (ie: when the pool is closer). Plus,. with my track record, it's 100% sure that my toes will end up on the jig if nothing is in the way :rolleyes: