2002 Tiger River Bengal - Pump Surging

dpisula

My 2002 Tiger River Bengal started surging so I cleaned the filter. Same result with clean filter. So I thought it must be time to replace the filter. I ordered two new filters, drained and cleaned the tub and refilled with fresh water. The tub still surges with the new filter. If I take the filter out the pump runs perfect, and all the jets are strong. I can't seem to find a blockage that could be causing this. Any suggestions? Could this be an issue with the pump impeller? Air leak?

The next two things I'd look at would be:

1) Check Water Level to ensure the water is high enough to spill into the skimmer where the filter sits.

2) Below the filter bay, is a suction fitting mounting on the side wall. Check it and make sure it does not have excessive build up on it. This suction fitting normally has a white cloth like screen over it to help keep larger particles from passing through it. Make sure it doesn't have calcium build up, body oil buildup, hair, etc plugging it's ability to suck water.

The next two things I'd look at would be:

1) Check Water Level to ensure the water is high enough to spill into the skimmer where the filter sits.

2) Below the filter bay, is a suction fitting mounting on the side wall. Check it and make sure it does not have excessive build up on it. This suction fitting normally has a white cloth like screen over it to help keep larger particles from passing through it. Make sure it doesn't have calcium build up, body oil buildup, hair, etc plugging it's ability to suck water.

Thanks for the reply.

Water level is full. I have even taken the cloth screen off and it still happens. Similar issue a few years ago I replaced the cloth screen and it fixed it. This time it is something different.

I'm thinking it's the air check valve. In the equipment area look for a plumbing fitting that has a 3/4" hose coming out of the top and 1 side and a 1/4" hose out of the top. If you have this pinch off the 1/4" hose and see if the surging goes away. If so replace the air check valve with the Hartford Loop.

I'm thinking it's the air check valve. In the equipment area look for a plumbing fitting that has a 3/4" hose coming out of the top and 1 side and a 1/4" hose out of the top. If you have this pinch off the 1/4" hose and see if the surging goes away. If so replace the air check valve with the Hartford Loop.

Thank you I will check on that tonight.

Thank you I will check on that tonight.

I should have said the 1/4" hose comes out the other end...Sorry.

Well I did what Peteyboy suggested and the surging stopped. So I started looking at the the fitting the 1/4 hose was attached to. There is a clip holding the end of the fitting together. I took off the clip and it came apart. Inside was a piece of plastic the had a rubber seal on the end. This piece was held in place by the pressure from a spring compressed against the end cap and the clip I had removed. The plastic piece inside had some scale build up that was not allowing the spring to move it. So I cleaned it and put it all back together and it is fixed.

Thanks to Peteyboy for pointing me in the right direction.

I took some pictures and will try to get them posted later today.