Arctic Frontier Salt Levels

quarry

Is there a reason why my salt level keeps dropping? I have an Arctic Frontier with Onzen, Recently my water went cloudy after heavy usage, when I checked my levels everything was good except chlorine, when I monitored the tub I noticed that there was no 'Mist' being produced from the Onzen so upon checking the salt levels I found they were very low (I had already topped up the salt some few weeks previously). Is there a reason for this? I had read somewhere that salt remained in the water all the time unless removed with the water, and evaporation would only increase salt levels. Have I missed something? does the Onzen turn the salt into chlorine so uses it or is there another reason? The water was due a change anyway which I have now done but I am confused as to whether this is normal. I'm still pretty new to this.

• 2 weeks later...
Recently my water went cloudy after heavy usage

Page 4 of Onzen Manual: Small amounts of non-chlorine oxidizer (such as Arctic Pure Refresh) may be used to boost sanitization of the water after heavy use. Use only small amounts, as the salt will amplify the oxidizing effect.

A "small amount" is about 1/2 cap full. Remember to leave the cover off for 20-30 minutes after adding Refresh (see owner manual p. 25)

Many thanks for the replies, I have since kick started the chlorine with 2 tablets and that seems to have done it, water cleared up nicely and after a dip in chlorine after a few days when the tablets had done their bit the tub seems to have kicked in again...... still no mist though (this is the 2nd onzen generator I'm on tub 1 yr in Oct) anyway I'll see what happens over the coming weeks.

Oh and as for the salt problem....... I was reading the test strips wrong so thought I had none when I really had loads (told you I was new to this..... what a buffoon eh?) so I can honestly say we are doing fine for salt now :rolleyes: ) Thanks again guys

a more permanent solution to the electrode problems.

:huh:

Pete, you know we're not standing still. We're working on it. I'm sorry that our electronics engineer moved to another building, because I used to enjoy talking with him and watching him design and test the next generation of micro-processor controlled Onzen systems. Because your Arctic is so accessible, it will be easy to retrofit "Onzen - The Next Generation".

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, a quick update, ttrublue you was absolutely correct my Onzen was not working as soon as I used the tub chlorine levels dropped to zero again. Dealer called and he changed the plates 'again' I'm now on my 3rd set (tub a year old last week). I had fallen out of favour with my tub recently because of the problem which I thought had been fixed with the last plate change, now it's working properly it's like having a new tub again, great. I wonder how long I can expect this set to work?

Tom I guess this is a known problem, when will 'Onzen - the next generation' be rolled out? and will it be standard practice to retro fit it to those who already have the first generation ones?

edit: Just heard the news about Tom has Arctic got another 'ammbassador' on this forum who'll take on issues? Tom will be a hard act to follow what are Arctic thinking?

No question Tom will be a hard act to follow. We will do our best. As for your onzen issues.... Firstly, I would like to say I am sorry for your troubles. It will come as no surprise to this forum that we are experiencing some issues with this relatively new product. I won't get into all the details but rest assured we continue to work on refining our development of this product. We firmly believe that this technology is the next evolution is spa care. If you have a little patience with us, we will not abandon you, I promise.

James

I really hope something is done to resolve this issue. I have posted other replies. I bought and recieved tub in July and already had the Onzen system fixed/replaced 1 month later cause it was deffective. Not really sure what they did. I was told that the salt water wasn't flowing properly around electrode so electrode was pulled closer to opening of tub thus the new "hockey mask" to allow proper flow. Well, I was able to get bromine readings but now the issue is cloudy water after like a week with new water in the tub. I am waiting for a reply from James so I'll be patient.

I really hope something is done to resolve this issue. I have posted other replies. I bought and recieved tub in July and already had the Onzen system fixed/replaced 1 month later cause it was deffective. Not really sure what they did. I was told that the salt water wasn't flowing properly around electrode so electrode was pulled closer to opening of tub thus the new "hockey mask" to allow proper flow. Well, I was able to get bromine readings but now the issue is cloudy water after like a week with new water in the tub. I am waiting for a reply from James so I'll be patient.

Hey Toolmantoo,

Its James here! Sorry for your troubles with your water chemistry. I think I can help you out. Can you send me your spa serial number so I can look into it and call you when I am back in town on Monday?

Kind regards,

James