Newbie Buys A New Tub......

Nalod

In 1994 I build a 1700Sq ft Ipe deck with a HS Grandee tub partially sunk to chair height (18inches). Great tub and great service when needed!

Sold the house with the tub and regret not taking it out and putting in some other tub.

Went a year without a tub and with the cool nights approaching and our construction almost done we decided to get a new tub.

Of course we shopped HS but decided on a Sundance.

Our Grandee was great but like many we did not have many those wonderful brochure tub moments where the neighbors come over (or at least the really good looking ones!) or many family tubs. Sure once in a while our teenage children tolerate us and jump in, but usually its with friends or when sore from athletic events.

The Grandee was 500 gallons and the new Majesta (2008 floor model) is 375. Its a deep tub so Im happy. Seats 5, but 4 get corners! Mostly its just me and my wife. Great tub!

We loved the Grandee but even 5 years ago felt the Sundance performed better. At the time we thought the HS was a better build and it did provide great service and did not dissapoint. WE like the dealer and got great service when needed! Since then the new sundance factory (opened 2002) has proved itself and the dealer picked up the sundance line from another than went under. That was one reason also we did not get the Sundance.

There are many good brands out there but These two have the best warranty and if for some reason my dealer goes under (been around a while, hope it stays that way!) Those brands should be picked up locally!

No doubt your gonna pay up for those brands. But I prefer to buy floor models at discount at model year end and get tubs that don't have many breakable frills. Im a bit of an audiophile and think the ingenuity that goes into some of the systems are great, but the costs and warranty of the systems don't sit well with me. My suggestion is be creative and you can have a new system for about a third of the cost. I like to tub right before bed and enjoy about 20 with the jets on then 5 with the calm waters of a quiet tub.

BUt My new tub will have sound. Quality outside speakers with independent volume control wired to a new mid priced reciever with build in iPod control works. Set a playlist and Im ready. ONly thing is I can't control the music choice once Im in the tub. I wired with an external volume control reachable (no voltage!) while in the tub. My savings are considerable but the simplicity will allow me to upgrade down the road and repairs are a breeze. Be createve, put speakers in tall planter boxes, or mount them close to the tub as possible. Get a good quality speaker!

The 2008 Sundance Majesta does not have the fancy lighting under the control valves and thats fine with me. The waterfall is there and lights up. I would not pay extra for it. Lighting is a big feature these days and "Limelight" takes advantage of the amenity to sell lots of tubs. I previewed a Dynasty tub and the salesman was all about the waterfall, dancing waters and the LED. The flashing white dancing LED's was a real turn off. The pro rated warranty was really the turn off. Nice tub, good value, lots of amenities BTW. They sell lots of tubs. I know lighting is "suppose to enhance the tub experience" but the standard LED that changes color is great and enough for me. I keep it at the lowest setting.

Just stating a preference and what I look for.

It goes without saying that Flat panel TV's are not gonna happen either.

New house has walk out basement and under a 2nd story Covered patio. Be interesting to have it protected from the elements (good) but not be able to star gaze at night (bad). I expected the tub to be a bit louder with a roof over it. Sitting on 4 inches of pavement with another two inches of brick paver on top of that will provide a nice stable platform.

Its always shocking how expensive these things are!

A trouble free tub is always what we are looking for and I want my money going into build quality and water quality. The sundance has the air blower and I kind of like that!

ONly thing is I can't control the music choice once Im in the tub.

It might be a bit late to have another wired controller put onto one of the top edges of the spa, but it might be possible to have a wireless remote installed, perhaps someone else could answer whether or not this is an option.

We mainly use our wireless remote for changing the music and rarely use it to control the pumps or lights.