Bubble Cover/sanitizer Question

m3722

I plan on using a regular pool solar blanket in my hot tub during the winter. The question I have is, I also use one of the floating chlorine dispensers, but obviously with the blanket on, the dispenser won't be moving/bobbing around, but will be held in place by the cover, therefore probably not releasing as much chlorine and maybe staining/bleaching the floor. Any suggestions.

I plan on using a regular pool solar blanket in my hot tub during the winter. The question I have is, I also use one of the floating chlorine dispensers, but obviously with the blanket on, the dispenser won't be moving/bobbing around, but will be held in place by the cover, therefore probably not releasing as much chlorine and maybe staining/bleaching the floor. Any suggestions.

Put your bromine/chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket, rather than a floater. Also suggest using a regular hard cover as well as the bubble (solar) cover.

The solar blankets don't work very well in a hot tub because they disintegrate over a realtively short time. You will notice that the bubbles pop and fill with bad water. They turn black with mold and not too santitary.

As they crumble they will put debris all over the spa.

If you use a regular spa with real filtering, you will see the bubble blanket all bunched up by the filter unless you tie it. You need a real poly foam thermal blanket. Those last about 4 to 5 years and don't cause any problems. Get the type that is not laminated. The laminated ones will also decompose and put garbage all over the spa.

The trichlor tabs are not recommended for spas. Only bromine tabs in a feeder. The temperature of spas makes the triclor to intense for the plastics and for your breathing. It voids the warranty of most spas.

You can use dichlor granular in spas.

The best way to use bromine is in a floating feeder under the blanket (or tie it away from the skimmer). If you let the feeder float around it will not be controllable. The amounts of bromine will go up and down, driving you crazy trying to get the levels correct. One time you will find it over by the filter housing (the worst place) and the next time over on the opposite wall. You need to keep the water passing across the opening of the feeder as constant as you can.

Best to locate the feeder opposite to the intake of the filter housing and hold it there with the blanket.

The worst thing to do is to put it in the skimmer, becasue it concentrates in the skimmer and causes high levels of oxidizers to go directly into the heater and pump seals, shortening their life.

Best to locate the feeder opposite to the intake of the filter housing and hold it there with the blanket.

The worst thing to do is to put it in the skimmer, becasue it concentrates in the skimmer and causes high levels of oxidizers to go directly into the heater and pump seals, shortening their life.

Only one little sales blurb regarding filtering....good job Jimmy.

And as much as I hate to say this but I agree with Jim, keep the dispensor away from the filter housing.

Only one little sales blurb regarding filtering....good job Jimmy.

And as much as I hate to say this but I agree with Jim, keep the dispensor away from the filter housing.

I agree with Jim in that the bubbles eventually pop and fill with water, in my case it was sooner than later. When a few bubbles pop and fill with water, it becomes stagnant and a potential breeding ground for bacteria. I trashed mine after a few bubbles collapsed but before it completely self destructed as Jim eluded to. I haven't needed one over the summer and have been looking for an alternate foam cover to use in the winter under the hard cover. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might be able to buy a decent foam cover? Or could I go down to the local foam shop and buy the correct material to make my own? If so what is the type foam used, is there another name other than poly foam?