Help With Rust Stain

Sterling30D

I need a little advice. We have a two year old inground gunite pool with 3M Color Quartz plaster. About three months ago I noticed a rust stain in the tile line where the tile and plaster meet. It started out as a small rust stain but started to seep rust and now there is a pretty dark rust stain on the side wall and a line of rust on the tile above where the rust is seeping. The pool company that built our pool closed their doors and filed bankruptcy so we have no way of getting them to honor their warranty. I was told that rust like this is usually caused by exposed rebar that was not properly covered with gunite or a tie wire that was not removed before plastering. Either way I had a plaster company come out to give me an estimate of the repair and he siad it would cost $550. That includes material and labor. They'll have to partially drain the pool, chip away the plaster to expose the cause of the rust, cut out the rebar or tie wire that's causing the rust and patch the plaster. Does this cost sound about right? I would like to get competative estimates but can't find any other company willing to even come out to look at the pool let alone quote a repair cost. Pool is in Moreno Valley California. If anyone knows a plaster company willing to come out and give me an estimate I'd appreciate it. On the upside, the Gunite company said that if it was determined that they were the cause of the rust they would cover the repair cost. Problem is that the plaster company that came out works with the Gunite company on a lot of jobs so getting them to admit that it was the gunite companies fault may be difficult.

The price is based on a minimum charge. Mostly labor for one or two men, plus gas, plus material, plus... If you can, be there when they do the work, and actually see for your self what is causing the rust. Then ask the guy what he thinks it is from, (before he has a chance to talk to his boss on the Nextel). IMO I don't know what it could be, except re bar or tie wire. So I would look at it from a stand point of, they need to prove that it isn't re bar or tie wire, rather than prove that it is. Does that make sense?

The price is based on a minimum charge. Mostly labor for one or two men, plus gas, plus material, plus... If you can, be there when they do the work, and actually see for your self what is causing the rust. Then ask the guy what he thinks it is from, (before he has a chance to talk to his boss on the Nextel). IMO I don't know what it could be, except re bar or tie wire. So I would look at it from a stand point of, they need to prove that it isn't re bar or tie wire, rather than prove that it is. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the response. That makes perfect sense. The Gunite guy is very nice and said he would cover the cost if the problem was caused by anything he did. I know that if re bar is causing the rust it's the Gunite guys fault because he didn't use enough gunite to cover the re bar but who's fault would it be if it's tie wire that's causing the rust? Do the Gunite guys remove the tie wire or do the Plaster guys remove it?

Thanks for the advise as well Pool Clown. I'll try to take some time off work to be there when they expose the cause of the rust. I might even take some picture before and after.

Pictures are cool...

When the steel guys are tying wire, they are supposed to knock the tie down. After he cuts the wire he's supposed to take a whack at the tie and bend it over. sometimes, its missed. Now come the gunite guys. If they see it, maybe they will knock it down or just blow all over it. Last the plaster guy shows, and if he sees it... You get the picture.

So, who do you want to blame? Its tough, If all three of those guys work together, maybe they will admit that at least it wasn't your fault, and comp you.

I would like to get competative estimates but can't find any other company willing to even come out to look at the pool...

You might want to call a tile repair guy who would possibly have a lower price. He could dig around and photo the cause then fix it. Just a thought since it is next to the tile, a good tile repair guy should be able to handle it too.

I would like to get competative estimates but can't find any other company willing to even come out to look at the pool...

You might want to call a tile repair guy who would possibly have a lower price. He could dig around and photo the cause then fix it. Just a thought since it is next to the tile, a good tile repair guy should be able to handle it too.

That's not a bad idea. At least I can see if a tile repair guy will be willing to come out and look at it. Thanks billp.