Trouble Shooting Advice

spafigher

I have a (220V) 3yr old Keys Back Yard Hot Tub. A couple of weeks ago the 50 amp GFI breaker was tripped. I reset the breaker and haven’t had a problem until two days ago.

The breaker was blown again; I rest the breaker again, after the primer cycle the motor / pump started and it tripped the breaker again. It did seem to be a lot louder than normal. How can I tell if is the pump or the electric motor?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I have a (220V) 3yr old Keys Back Yard Hot Tub. A couple of weeks ago the 50 amp GFI breaker was tripped. I reset the breaker and haven’t had a problem until two days ago.

The breaker was blown again; I rest the breaker again, after the primer cycle the motor / pump started and it tripped the breaker again. It did seem to be a lot louder than normal. How can I tell if is the pump or the electric motor?

It is the same thing. The pump is the complete item. A motor attached to a wet end which moves water. If it is the motor that can be replaced or you could buy an entire pump.

If it running loud it sounds like the bearing is going bad. Which in that case just replace entire pump it costs a little more but is alot easier to do. I think Keys was using 2.5 HP pumps from Vico which is now Balboa Water Group with 2 inch unions

Does it have an ozonater that comes on during filtering? Have you peeked inside the equipment bay yet?

Louder would definitely indicate a motor problem developing, but I have a hard time believing that the motor is tripping your breaker. Obviously, the motor is not ground faulted because the breaker does not trip immediately at motor start up. I doubt it is an over-current issue as the SC-25 fuse on the board would blow a lot faster than the 50 amp breaker and you are not repporting blown fuses on the board. I suspect chemical damage that has somewhat damaged your pump seals which have probably affected your motor bearing. If true, check your heater and ozonator for ground fault damage. It will be the heater and/or ozonator probably causing the trip.

John

Does it have an ozonater that comes on during filtering? Have you peeked inside the equipment bay yet?

We don't have ozonater. I did see some smoke coming from the equipment panel before the breaker blew. I opened the equipment panel and reset the breaker. After it finished the primer cycle and the pump started it blew the breaker but I didn't see any smoke.

Louder would definitely indicate a motor problem developing, but I have a hard time believing that the motor is tripping your breaker. Obviously, the motor is not ground faulted because the breaker does not trip immediately at motor start up. I doubt it is an over-current issue as the SC-25 fuse on the board would blow a lot faster than the 50 amp breaker and you are not repporting blown fuses on the board. I suspect chemical damage that has somewhat damaged your pump seals which have probably affected your motor bearing. If true, check your heater and ozonator for ground fault damage. It will be the heater and/or ozonator probably causing the trip.

John

John,

I don't have a ozonator. Do you have any advice do determine if it is the heater?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

John

John,

I don't have a ozonator. Do you have any advice do determine if it is the heater?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Some folks advocate disconnecting the copper connectors that go to the heater cold pins and re-starting the hot tub. This can work, but I prefer using a high quality megohmmeter. A megohmmeter ensures that you will not damage the electronics while checking the loads for a ground fault. Each reset of the GFCI in the face of a ground fault can result in electronics damage, which may be what you now have if you saw smoke. Seeing smoke is NOT good.

John

John

John,

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Some folks advocate disconnecting the copper connectors that go to the heater cold pins and re-starting the hot tub. This can work, but I prefer using a high quality megohmmeter. A megohmmeter ensures that you will not damage the electronics while checking the loads for a ground fault. Each reset of the GFCI in the face of a ground fault can result in electronics damage, which may be what you now have if you saw smoke. Seeing smoke is NOT good.

John

I did a little more trouble shooting and discovered a few more things.

I unplugged the motor / pump and after the primer cycle finished the breaker didn't trip. I got to " -- " on the control panel. I plugged the motor back in and this time the motor made a lot of nose but didn't blow the breaker. Does that mean the heater / control board is good?

Any advice where to purchase replacement motor / pump ?