New Old Stock Hot Tub

par4n1

I am looking at a brand new hot tub by Hotsprings. It has never seen water or electricity other then a factory test. It is New old stock.....However it has been sitting outside, under cover since January of 2008 at a neighbors house. Now a divorce is setteled and I can buy the tub (3000$). It looks like a new penny but can any interenal damage occur fron the tub sitting dry for over a year? We have had a few winter days in the lower teens and temps as high as 95* It has a skirt, unit is bone dry and clean. My concerns are the pump seals, motor and contracting and expanding PVC fittings. Any help?

Thank you

I worry about what the temp got to. HotSpring water tests all their spas and don't get all the water out. There is usually some water in the pipes. I would think most of it dried up in that amount of time.

Also is it possible that some rain could have gotten' in it?

What model spa is it?

I am looking at a brand new hot tub by Hotsprings. It has never seen water or electricity other then a factory test. It is New old stock.....However it has been sitting outside, under cover since January of 2008 at a neighbors house. Now a divorce is setteled and I can buy the tub (3000$). It looks like a new penny but can any interenal damage occur fron the tub sitting dry for over a year? We have had a few winter days in the lower teens and temps as high as 95* It has a skirt, unit is bone dry and clean. My concerns are the pump seals, motor and contracting and expanding PVC fittings. Any help?

Thank you

The reality is it should be fine if it stayed wrapped up. There is always some residual water but usually not enough where it is an issue. For the price you're getting (though you don't say what model) I wouldn't hesitate but I understand your apprehension.

I worry about what the temp got to. HotSpring water tests all their spas and don't get all the water out. There is usually some water in the pipes. I would think most of it dried up in that amount of time.

Also is it possible that some rain could have gotten' in it?

What model spa is it?

It is the Vista model.It doesn't look like rain ever got in it but of course there is the thought it most likely did. I was also concerned the pump may have kept it's original test water in it.

Thank you

Thank you

The reality is it should be fine if it stayed wrapped up. There is always some residual water but usually not enough where it is an issue. For the price you're getting (though you don't say what model) I wouldn't hesitate but I understand your apprehension.

well it didn't have plastic wrap around the top only the spa's cover. Still I think without pricing the Vista model 3000 sounds fair

Since it is a neighbor, make him a deal that you can get your money back if it leaks. Should be fine.

I would superchlorinate when filled in case there is any bacterial growth given it has been sitting for a year and a half.

Thank you the superchlorinate is a gret idea. Getting him to buy it back may be a problem as I think it could be sold else where and in the other cases it would be sold as is and off his hands.

Most dealers sell the Vista for at least 10K so that is a fantastic deal.

Enjoy !!

So you think it will want to fire up and work as if it was setting in a wherehouse for the same period of time?

Thank you

Dealers sometimes have spas sitting around and they sell them and set them up at customers and usually all is fine. Of course if there is an issue its yours to deal with but I'd expect it to fire up just fine and if there is an issue you've saved SO much $$ on this that you can take care of it and know you're still WAY ahead of the game.